78 RPM flute recordings available online

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Oh dear, I should have been able to figure out that the pitch would be raised myself, what a dope :lol: . But I didn't know what remastering entailed. All the CD's I wondered about have been remastered I am sure by experts, so I will figure they are as close to what really was played as possible. This has been bothering me for a long time so thanks for the very helpful info folks!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
daiv
antispam: No

Post by daiv »

that is just fantastic. we should all learn to play like that.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

September 12th

Tom Morrison and PJ Conlon

The Plains of Boyle

Tom Morrison, PJ Conlon,and Tom Higgins

The Salt Hill Pipes
Kevin L. Rietmann

gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

[quote="Kevin L. Rietmann"]Sean McGuire Interview from fiddle.com. His early sides are actually a bit restrained - or more traditional? compared to what came later, which I really enjoy as well, I should say. I've all his LPs and some amazing pub recordings from 66/67 too.]

Lovely stuff. I hadn't heard his early recordings before. I find his later recordings intersting! Innovative,clever, technical, flashy, showy, I have to say I much prefer this though! SMASHING! Most of those descriptions still apply apart from flashy and showy maybe?

Kevin
Kevin L. Rietmann

We chatted a bit about Sean over at the pipes forum: Sean McGuire - Piper as well?

September 18th

Tom Morrison

Maggie in the Woods (1925)

The Indian on the Rock, Maids of Fair Hill
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

[quote="Kevin L. Rietmann"]We chatted a bit about Sean over at the pipes forum: Sean McGuire - Piper as well?

Thanks for that Kevin. Ineresting reading.
I also saw that you had loaded up two more early McGuire fiddle recordings-Lovely stuff.
Also found some great Michael Coalman on the www.archive.org site. Fantastic! Also looks like there are a lot of other old style recording I want to listen to when I have time, or maybe I'll just keep playing these two!
What a great site.

Kevin
withak

Post by withak »

gorjuswrex wrote: Also found some great Michael Coalman...
Uhoh, I think you got hoodwinked. It wasn't sold to you from a suitcase by a guy on the street, was it? :wink:
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

gorjuswrex wrote: Also found some great Michael Coalman on the www.archive.org site. Fantastic!
I think we have Kevin to thank for the Coleman trax at archive.org.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Incidentally, I see the Sean McGuire tracks credit "unknown - piano".
Boys of the Lough, Reavy's - Sean Maguire
Fiddle solo, Decca or London label, unknown - piano. This recording was reissued on an LP, the Irish Phonograph, which is now out of print, and I only have a dub of it, so can't supply discographical information. The second reel is the first commercial recording of a composition of Ed Reavy, famous Cavan/Philadelphia fiddler/composer. His title for it was the Hunter's House; innumerable recordings over the years have tunes simply titled "Reavy's," though...

It's worth speculating that the pianist could be his wife, Josephine Keegan, who accompanies him on another LP I own that also contains Reevey's Reel. Here's her blurb in the liner notes:
Josephine Keegan (Mrs Sean McGuire), his piano accompanist, began her musical career at teh age of six. She studied piano, concert flute and won two Gold Medals for Irish Traditional Violin playing. Josephine first preformed on radio when she was fourteen. She also appears frequently on British and IRish TV and Radio. [Notes to Celtic LP SCX 55, Sean McGuire Volume One]
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

withak wrote:
Uhoh, I think you got hoodwinked. It wasn't sold to you from a suitcase by a guy on the street, was it? :wink:

I Don't underconstumble. If it's not the real thing it's a blowing good copy? I have been hoodwinked and might be again but I don't think I was here.

Kevin
withak

Post by withak »

gorjuswrex wrote:I Don't underconstumble. If it's not the real thing it's a blowing good copy? I have been hoodwinked and might be again but I don't think I was here.
I was just joking that an album by "Michael Coalman" might be like a watch by "Rolox". :)
Kevin L. Rietmann

Rolox? Sounds like a brand of cheese.

Some of these 78s used to belong to an old piper in San Francisco, Dan Sullivan; Dan gave them to his student Denis Brooks, who left them behind in Seattle when he moved to Cork. I dubbed the records myself, and wrote out the disco. information too, which I hadn't bothered to fish out. The piano-ist on the Magurie record is Sean O'Driscoll, London P18239. They list this M. Solomon as arranger; also inform us that Sean is "All Ireland Undefeated Champion Since 1949."
Kevin L. Rietmann

Kevin L. Rietmann

September 27nd

Tom Morrison

The Roscommon Reel

The London Clog