Best piano accordion for Irish

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
squeezebox99
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Best piano accordion for Irish

Post by squeezebox99 »

Hi
I saw a Saltarelle Clifden on ebay. Some people really like these accordions, some say they are junk. Anyone have opinions about what PA's are best for Irish?
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

If I were picking a PA for Irish music, I'd go for a 64-bass two-reed box, swing tuned. Nothing too big or heavy. But that's just my taste.

Can you speak further about why Saltarelle PAs would be considered junk? I know there have been some quality control issues on their button boxes in the past, but all the ones I've played have been wonderful instruments. Shrug?
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

I have read a disparaging comment somewhere about the Clifden. However a friend of mine who has taken up piano box fairly recently (very accomplished musician on other instruments incl. piano), has a fairly basic Hohner PA. He tried a Clifden in a store and liked it very much. One of the specific things he mentioned was that the sound of basses was relatively light, which he felt was much better for trad-music purposes.

Steve
squeezebox99

thanks

Post by squeezebox99 »

Hey thanks for the remarks.
I read an online review of the saltarelle and it was very negative. It's nice to hear the good reviews.
I have a good 40 bass with a light bass side which I like - and the 48 weltmeister stella I have has basses that are TOO LOUD.
The hohner 40 bass I have is tuned strangely - like a442 or something...plus it won't play well in some keys - no minor b for example...anyway...any more thoughts?
margaret
squeezebox99

thanks

Post by squeezebox99 »

Hey thanks for the remarks.
I read an online review of the saltarelle and it was very negative. It's nice to hear the good reviews.
I have a good 40 bass with a light bass side which I like - and the 48 weltmeister stella I have has basses that are TOO LOUD.
The hohner 40 bass I have is tuned strangely - like a442 or something...plus it won't play well in some keys - no minor b for example...anyway...any more thoughts?
margaret