New flute; Copley and Boegli

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
CranberryDog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

New flute; Copley and Boegli

Post by CranberryDog »

Well the diabolical Doc Jones sent me a Copley and Boegli flute to "see if I would like it". It's the version comprised of balckwood, silver rings and tuning slide. It also has a fully lined head joint.

After working out a trade to our liking, I am the very proud owner of a new flute. So now it's break-in time. It's like getting a new corvette or the like and only being able to drive 55.

Copley and Boegli certainly do beautiful work. Futher down the road, I coud do a review if there is interest.

Happiness is a warm flute. Best, Cyril.
Last edited by CranberryDog on Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tweeto

Post by Tweeto »

Weren't you planning on getting the Copley delrin flute?
Check out: Folding@Home!
daiv

Re: New flute; Copley and Boegli

Post by daiv »

CranberryDog wrote:Well the diabolical Doc Jones sent me a Copley and Boegli flute to "see if I would like it". It's the version comprised of balckwood, silver rings and tuning slide. It also has a fully lined head joint.

After working out a trade to our liking, I am the very proud owner of a new flute. So now it's break-in time. It's like getting a new corvette or the like and only being able to drive 55.

Copley and Boegli certainly do beautiful work. Futher down the road, I coud do a review if there is interest.

Happiness is a warm flute. Best, Cyril.
they also make great boehm-style headjoints (see my profile pic).

congrats on your new flute. we'll all be eager to see how you two get along.
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

Tweeto wrote:Weren't you planning on getting the Copley delrin flute?
Hello Tweeto,

Patrick sent me 2 Copleys; a delrin and a blackwood with no tuning slide; problem, they got lost in the mail! It's been a month or so since he sent them USPS priority. Thankfully, they were insured.

The new Copley is the signature model. It's very well made and a real joy to play. The fully lined head joint gives it a big tough edge. You can make all the first octave growl. Great session flute; plenty of volume and way fast in crans, rolls, etc.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Congrats on your new flute, Cyril!

Yes, Copley's are certainly well known for the beautiful craftsmanship and playability-very nice flutes at an attractive price too!

Good luck with it, and enjoy your new "growler"!!!
~~~~
Barry
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

Hi Barry. Yep, this one is a natural for me. I believe you could describe the embrochue as the two semi circle type. Of course once you've worn yourself out growling; you can play nice.

The McGee ia about four weeks out, i believe it will be quite similar to the Copley but with larger holes. Best, Cyril.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

CranberryDog wrote:...Of course once you've worn yourself out growling; you can play nice.
:lol: Yes, growling can wear you down after a bit! Then, nice is good!
~~~~
Barry
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

Now that I have played this flute for a few days I have to say I LOVE it! As you might know, the Copley and Boegli design is heavily influenced by the Pratten Perfected as well as some influence from Rudall and Rose.

I find it a great combination. It will play pretty or it will play with a hard edge with the coveted dark and reedy quality. It has a very wide dynamic range.

And a surprise. My wife does not play flute. French horn a few years back. Last night I was sitting at the dinner table, just tooting away. She sat down across from me and asked to see the flute. Put it to her lips and proceeded to PLAY scales! It plays that easily yet still packs the dynamics for more advanced playing. BTW, the embrochure is the traditonal oval shape.

I called David Copley a few days ago with a question about maintaining the fully lined head joint. I found that apart from mopping it out; that's it. No oiling except for the area around the embrochure hole. This certainly simplifies maintenance. I also found that the "cork" is made from delrin and has an O ring. No swelling or shrinking or other issues with cork.

That's all that comes to mind. Thank you for your interest. Best, Cyril.
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sillydill »

Hey Cyril,

Copley's flutes are all based upon Hawkes & Son flutes. See my post here: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=52745

I really like Copley's all wood flute (pictured in above post), it can be played with perhaps the darkest reediest tone of any flute I've ever made acquaintance with.

All the Best!
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

[quote="Sillydill"]Hey Cyril,

Copley's flutes are all based upon Hawkes & Son flutes. See my post here: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=52745

I really like Copley's all wood flute (pictured in above post), it can be played with perhaps the darkest reediest tone of any flute I've ever made acquaintance with.

All the Best![/quote

Hello Jordan,
In the scheme of things it doesn't matter and I would still love this flute if it was designed after a VW bug; but, my description of the design infuences are almost verbatim with Mr. Copley's: "The design is heavily influenced by the Pratten's Perfected ... along with some influence from Rudall and Rose'. (from his web site) http://www.celticlands.com/page8.html .

Cheers, Cyril.