Super Mellow Sets?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tansy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

hey patrick,the pipe cleaner would do better,i can see a loose fitting bridal that could be slide up to just the right amount of dampening one would want.thanks,tansy
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Tansy,
If the bridal is loose and you don't want to squeeze it or change it's shape you have several options to fix the problem. I've tried a tiny rubberband over the bridal to keep it from shifting. You can also use a blob of softened bees wax over the bridle and the office supply 'poster stick' product can work the same way.
Dionys
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dionys »

Yes.. but beeswax seems so much more natural for some reason.

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
tansy

Post by tansy »

tony,i made a pipe cleaner bracket,just snug enough not to slide back down on its own,and it works very well.at present i have it a little more than 1/3 up from the metal bridal and it quietened it to just where i wanted it.also,if i want to go back to full volume i just slide it down to where it rests on the metal bridal.thanks,tansy
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Hey Tansy,

Good to hear the pipe cleaner is bringing you some joy. Is it flattening the pitch of the chanter a lot? I'm sure with some moving of the reed into the reed seat that it should play in pitch for you.

Patrick.
tansy

Post by tansy »

hey patrick,it does not flatten the pitch unless i slide it further up,so it seems to be fine,thanks again,tansy
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Above the difference between box and ebony was mentioned. Be aware that most modern pipes are being made in African Blackwood which some of you may think of as ebony but this it is not. African blackwood gives a shriller, harsher sound as compared to the ebony which gives you a mellower tone rich in harmonics.
Dave Parkhurst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

You ask about Angus sets versus Gallagher. I've played both and Gallagher is better. My suggestion if you want a quiet set: get a narrow bore D chanter from either Andreas Rogge or Brad Angus (although I would have a seasoned piper try to play Angus' chanter before I purchased it) and mate it to a regular set of drones. I do this with a Angus chanter and Lynch drone set and it works pretty well. You could try to get a D narrow bore chanter from Geoff Woof, but he wrote me one time and said he only sells full sets now. If he DOES sell just D narrow bore chanters, I wanna know!!!!
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

Dave, someone told me Geoff has a 10 year waiting list!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

On 2002-01-23 20:51, Tony wrote:
Dave, someone told me Geoff has a 10 year waiting list!
It's 13 actually by now and the issue of him making only full sets has been up here before and this is not true!
Tony

Post by Tony »

Dave, was the comparison of an Angus versus a Gallagher in wide bore D chanters?
Have you seen/played a Rogge narrow bore D?
------------
Peter, 13 years is quite a long time to wait for pipes. Who else is in that league making narrow bore D's without such a long wait?
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

On 2002-01-24 04:52, Tony wrote:
------------
Peter, 13 years is quite a long time to wait for pipes. Who else is in that league making narrow bore D's without such a long wait?
It is, isn't it and by that time he will probably have retired :smile:

I wouldn't touch any of the other mentioned makers pipes, but then: I am fussy.

EDIT:

In fairness, re-reading above message I haven't played any sets by Brad Angus so I exclude him from what I said above. Please note this is only MY opinion lots of people are quite content with instruments by makers whose instrument I may or may not like

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Laban on 2002-01-24 11:55 ]</font>
Tony

Post by Tony »

Peter.. you have every right to be fussy.. you're in the heart of it all.
Who else could do it? Dave Williams, Marc van Daal?
tansy

Post by tansy »

i am interested in what pipe makers you would consider if you suddenly found yourself pipeless.
tansy
tansy

Post by tansy »

i ment to ask this of peter laban