Add-ons??? What would YOU get?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

So, just out of curiosity, if money were no object, and you could order a set of pipes from your favorite maker (doesn't matter who)...just what sort of features would you like to have?

Is there anything you think is a 'must'? Keys? Extra tooling and/or scroll work on the fittings? Diamon studed chanters??? :grin:

Let your imagination run wild...what would YOU like to have?!

B~
JamieKerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JamieKerr »

Hi Brian,

I don't have a set of uilleann pipes, but I am currently researching the possibility, partially inspired by your current order of the Gallagher full-set. If money was no object, I would probably order the works, best maker, nice materials, nice design, the best, with french fries and extra cheese.

The reality of it, however, is that, if I'm going to take the plunge, it will have to be a shallow one. I am therefore looking for a moderately-priced starter set.

What would you recommend? I'm currently looking at Neil O'Grady and Ian Mackenzie.

Take care,

Jamie
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Hey Jamie!

How's your L.E.Mc- 121 Session book holding up? :smile: Well, while I was looking, I was most interested in a set by David Quinn in Vermont. His sets were so increadably mellow and sweet sounding of all that I'd heard, that they were the make I really wanted.

After learning that you could make almost any good set play a little bit quieter, and also learning that Quinn has closed his books after achieving a 4+ year backlog, I went with Gallagher.

His work is by just about all accounts some of the best in the U.S. currently. The reason I asked, is that since my money will hopefully be coming very soon from the insurance company of the dumb lady who rear-ended me almost two years ago, I may have enough that I could play around with some.

So there it is. Congratulations on looking for yourself! I may be grabbing a practice set from David Daye before the gallagher set arrives if time and money work in my favor. Pewrhaps, you may wish to start there. Everything I've heard says they play like a dream, and in fact, several proffesional players have mentioned they'd make a good back-up chanter for performances.

So back to the poll...anybody else?

B~
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Brian, no imagination running wild here.
Most chanters require a Cnat fingering to play high C# and depending on the reed and setup sometimes this note requires 'coaxing' to hit it every time. I've seen an extra key on Eamonn Dillon's chanter that plays high C#
That would be my first request. Second request is to actually have the Fnat key located where I can play it !! my pinky finger seems to be too short to reach that key easily.

Add to the wish list... a narrow bore D chanter. I'm curious to hear/see how they play.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tony on 2001-09-16 10:11 ]</font>
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

hey brian,besides the c nat and f keys,i think i would order a chanter shut-off key,several times each week i find myself wanting one,they seem to run about $175 u s.a wooden windcap with wind tube out the top and wooden,bone or antler ferrals over faux ivory would be nice if you are so esthetically inclined.i have only heard good things about seth's pipes,i also recomend david day's chanters and reeds.i am very happy with my bruce childress chanter,but would not sell the penny chanter.i take it when the goings get rough,sailing,camping,flying,etc.
best of luck,tansy
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

I have ordered the 'Stop Key' for the chanter, which as I understand it, will allow a bypass of the chanter when tuning the drones or regulators. I also ordered the wooden chanter top as opposed to the brass or stainless top. I've heard that they are a little bit more mellow, and also if you're ever playing outside, and in the sun, they don't get as hot and therefore won't ruin a reed as quickly. Is this just a myth?

As for the ferrules, I think the ones Seth offers are just plain old imitation ivory. What are some of the other materials that are popular? I've heard of the stuff like antler, and even just using a different type of wood.

I was thinking a nice sterling inlay in an ebony ferrule would look stunning!! Perhaps a knot-work band, or some other irish based design. Maybe even my name in celtic runes! I now I'm wacky, but hey! I'm praying my lawyers come through, and if they do...the sky's the limit!

:grin:

B~
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Brian,
Personally, I like blackwood with blackwood mounts and sliver keys (similar to Britton) Because pipes are so hard to see on stage, I think something in a really light colored wood like English Holly would be awesome and show off the set better.
Check out some of the pictures on Pipeworks. http://www.bagpipeworks.com/
There are a few exceptional sets on Joe Kennedy's website as well... like the light brown set with the brown bag, or the cherry colored wood and all the (fake) ivory is yellowed to look like it's fifty years old.