Michael Grinter flute for sale

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bence marosan
antispam: No

Michael Grinter flute for sale

Post by bence marosan »

I intend to sell my Michael Grinter flute.
You can find it on the Ebay, here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Michael-Grinter-Bla ... dZViewItem
bence marosan

Post by bence marosan »

I see my Grinter flute won't be sold. Too bad. I must get a uilleann pipe somehow. :(
cavefish
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

edit
bence marosan

Post by bence marosan »

Oh, yeah, it would be a good idea.
I'm Hungarian, you know - and there is a chap who edits home-made uilleann pipes. But I only thought I could get a product of a reknown maker.

Recently I've got dental plates - and it is nearly impossible to play in that stuff. You cannot imagine what a torture it is. That's why I thought I should begin to learn how to play the Uilleann Pipe.

I will decide what to do - I want to get a Uilleann Pipe in a month.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Check Doc Jones's site the irishflutestore.
He has pipes and considers trades.
look at pre-owned instruments

http://irishflutestore.com/
bence marosan

Post by bence marosan »

I'm just thinking about to put my flute on the Ebay again - for 1000 USD, (and 30/60 USD shipping cost). I would lose a lot of money - but a friend of mine told me that she would sell her Martin Preshaw half set Uilleann Pipe for 1500 USD; (and just for me!)

So, I'm brooding about what to do. Shall I really sell it? (I couldn't use it for a year). Would anybody buy it for one thousand USD? :-?
bence marosan

Post by bence marosan »

Correction: Not Martin Preshaw. Pat Stones half set.
Bridges-PdP
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bridges-PdP »

I haven't any experience buying and selling expensive flutes, but...your listing for the Grinter was in the neighborhood of the price of a new Grinter. I know flutes retain value. Is there any rule of thumb for figuring depreciation on a 3 year old instrument?

Also (and I hope others will chime in here with more knowledge)the worldwide shipping of $100 seems high to me. And does it really cost in the neighborhood of $50 to ship a flute inside the EU? I don't have experience shipping flutes, so please don't be offended by my ignorance.

If it were me...I'd lower the starting bid, set a reserve price (mention what the reserve is in the listing), set a Buy It Now price that reflects the value of a three year old flute with a repaired crack, highlight the fact that the flute is available without a year or more wait, use an average shipping quote to a zip code in the middle of the U.S and one to the middle of Europe(to give people an estimate of shipping costs) but be ready to provide an accurate shipping quote to other destinations and mention in the listing the shipping method you will use. When I purchase on eBay and the seller charges a shipping amount that is higher than actual shipping would be, I assume that the seller is listing/selling at a lower price and raising the shipping to avoid eBay fees. This practice, to me, seems unscrupulous and makes me question the entire listing.

As I said, I have no experience buying and selling flutes, but I've done a fair bit of eBaying. I'm sure others here have done even more.
Scott Bridges

Auxilio ab alto
bence marosan

Post by bence marosan »

Yes, indeed the price was near to a new one's. I didn't wanted to lose very much on it - and I had to wait for it for ten months. Now, I shall see, if I want to sell I do lose a lot of money.

As for shipping. I don't know international shipping prices - once I had to send a flute to Japan. It was - with insurance - 100 USD. (I was able to buy this present flute by selling my late grandmother's old Boehm-system wooden flute that I inherited from her. My family was really upset, you can imagine).

I didn't want to win anything on this business. I only did not want to lose a lot. But I will - if I sell it.

But know I'm not sure at all that I should sell it - it is possible that I will torture myself with this flute, in dental plates.
bence marosan

Post by bence marosan »

Correction: but [now]
bence marosan

Post by bence marosan »

Correction No. 2.: [second sentence]: I didn't want

Sorry guys, I'm a bit tired.
bence marosan

Post by bence marosan »

I've made a quick decision - and I only hope that it wasn't a rash one.

I wrote a letter to Ray Sloan whether he could make a uilleann pipe chanter till the end of the year for me; (I've heard lots of good things about his products).

I can get here in Hungary a bellow and bag. And in case of emergency (if I don't have enough money to pay all the price of the chanter) I will sell this Grinter flute for 800-900 USD.

Only one thing annoys me a lot: I can see that if I sell my flute I lose 600-700 USD on this business. And it is the price of a brand new, fine instrument.

That's why I will think it over very seriously if I put my flute on Ebay again. It's an obvious fact that market (and business) is a hard stuff. Anyway - I hope everything will go well.
cocusflute

flute...

Post by cocusflute »

I will buy your flute. Please contact me. Thanks.