DUDUK

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
thebluesbox

DUDUK

Post by thebluesbox »

Hello Im a frequent poster at the Native American flute section, Im thinking about getting a duduk and was looking at them online, each one has a description like this Duduk key of A, RE..... or LA, or MI, or SOL, or FA.....
does anyone know what these letters mean for each duduk and whats the difference between them?
Thanks!
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Yup, those designations are the solfege. Just another way to state the bell note or key of an instrument.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
thebluesbox

Post by thebluesbox »

ok so on duduk.com the chart says that a G or an A duduk which I like the sound of this key would be a LA and a SO.

One thing I dont quite understand is the LA is only 11' long and the higher key flutes like B, C, F, are longer like 13 and 14', maybe I just dont understand this different animal of flutes but other flutes usually have lower keys being a longer bigger around flute and the higher keys are short and smaller in diameter. I just want to make sure Im getting what I want when I order one.

Can anyone explain this to me?
Thanks!
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Speaking from complete ignorance, but after a few minutes of net research ...

Actually, according to duduk fingering charts like this, the major scale tonic is one or two holes above the bell tone. So, for example, a duduk in A (La) has a bell tone of F#, and would be approximately the size of a high F whistle. A Generation high F whistle measures 10" long. So accounting for different bore etc., an A duduk length of 11" seems reasonable.

The same goes for the other keys and lengths, such as listed here:
http://www.worldmusicalinstruments.com/ ... goryID=104

Roughly, take the key of the duduk, and lower it 2 notes (a major 3rd) to get the corresponding whistle size. The F (Fa) duduk would correspond to a high D whistle, the D (Re) duduk to a Bb whistle, etc.

BTW, the above refers to the Armenian double-reed duduk. I gather that there is also a Balkan fipple flute/whistle which is also called a duduk, and is a different instrument.

Hope that helps.