Ukrainian funeral hymn Vichnaya Pamyat

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Richard Katz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Richard Katz »

The internet is truly amazing!

I have received the notation from two sources already. One was the Orthodox Church mentioned earlier.

Here is the link: http://stephenhowanetz.tripod.com/PDF%2 ... ikhika.pdf

It appears on page 29-30.

I was mentioned to me that this is a chant and not usually accompanied by musical instruments.

If anyone can play it, let me know.

I am not sure that this is playable on the UPs or whistle. I will experiment with it and let you know.

Thanks again to all who have assisted me in this search.

Cheers! Richard
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:That's a magnificent bit of choral work, but I'm not sure what they're expecting you to make of it on solo UPs. :shrug:

djm
It mightn't be that difficult as the basic melody is actually quite simple and could be played in D easily. The Serbian setting posted in the Whistle Forum pares it down really well:
Don90250 wrote:Wow ... just seeing the title puts a knot in my throat and tears in my eyes. You can find the Serbian version at

http://www.sv-luka.org/soca/vjecnaja_Pamjat_soca.mp3

It's a very simple song. Listen to the mp3 for the timing. Solemn, yet joyous. Here are the notes in the key of D.

D E F# G A A B B B B A A A B A G F# A G F# E A G F#

Depending on the congregation, they'll either sing it three times through, or once through after each of three priest invocations.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Richard Katz wrote:I was mentioned to me that this is a chant and not usually accompanied by musical instruments.
As far as I know, all music in Orthodox services is a cappella.
domilsean

a capella indeed

Post by domilsean »

Yeah, both Orthodox and Ukrainian/Byzantine Catholic services are music-free.

I might be able to help, as I'm both an (amateur) uilleann piper AND a Byzantine Cantor.

That pdf is NOT Ukrainian, as far as I know the melody. It should go "Etermal Memory, Eternal memory, blessed repose and eternal memory".

Anyway.

I can write out Vichnaya Pamyat tonight for you. However, you really can't play it in church... I think God will destroy any musical insturments brought into an Eastern Christian Church... I think I remember reading that in my cantor book somewhere :wink:
domilsean

some more info and music!

Post by domilsean »

Hi,

So the pdf that someone posted is Russian.

This one is carpatho-rusyn/ruthenian and close to the ukrainian

http://www.byzcath.org/chant/Divine-Lit ... k-1997.pdf

go to p. 92 in the book and you'll see the words and music in English and Slavonic.

I think, if memory serves me correctly, that this might be closer to ukrainian usage... then again, that other one might be. depends on the parish.
glands

Post by glands »

Learn that chune fast....the ice is melting......... :lol:
carel

Re: a capella indeed

Post by carel »

domilsean wrote:
However, you really can't play it in church... I think God will destroy any musical insturments brought into an Eastern Christian Church... I think I remember reading that in my cantor book somewhere :wink:
Did not king David play the harp?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

carel wrote:
domilsean wrote:
However, you really can't play it in church... I think God will destroy any musical insturments brought into an Eastern Christian Church... I think I remember reading that in my cantor book somewhere :wink:
Heh. Still, I am interested to know how the piping is to be used. I too have only heard a cappella singing in celebration of the Divine Liturgy, ever. Maybe it's a rogue parish? :wink:

Could be it's not for the service proper.......enquiring minds want to know.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Nanohedron wrote:
carel wrote:
domilsean wrote:
Heh. Still, I am interested to know how the piping is to be used. I too have only heard a cappella singing in celebration of the Divine Liturgy, ever. Maybe it's a rogue parish? :wink:

Actually, a cappella is the rule for every Orthodox service, vespers, matins, etc.

But, check this out (from the New American Standard Bible):

Daniel 3

5. that at the moment you hear the sound of the horn, flute, lyre, trigon, psaltery, :devil: BAGPIPE :devil: and all kinds of music, you are to fall down and worship the golden image that Nebuchadnezzar the king has set up.

7. Therefore at that time, when all the peoples heard the sound of the horn, flute, lyre, trigon, psaltery, :devil: BAGPIPE :devil: and all kinds of music, all the peoples, nations and men of every language fell down and worshiped the golden image that Nebuchadnezzar the king had set up.

10. "You, O king, have made a decree that every man who hears the sound of the horn, flute, lyre, trigon, psaltery, and :devil: BAGPIPE :devil: and all kinds of music, is to fall down and worship the golden image.

15. "Now if you are ready, at the moment you hear the sound of the horn, flute, lyre, trigon, psaltery and :devil: BAGPIPE :devil: and all kinds of music, to fall down and worship the image that I have made, very well. But if you do not worship, you will immediately be cast into the midst of a furnace of blazing fire; and what god is there who can deliver you out of my hands?"
Richard Katz

Post by Richard Katz »

The tune request is for a Ukrainian memorial service to be held at the cemetery and not in a church, therefore it will be permissable. I have

I had my friend play the melody for me last night at a rehearsal. A very simple tune, but very moving. I don't believe that anyone will be singing along. If they do, they will have to sing it in E minor.

Again...thanks for all the interest and help. It's amazing how kind everyone is on this forum. What a great resource!

Cheers! Richard
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Khan Krum wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
carel wrote: Did not king David play the harp?

Actually, a cappella is the rule for every Orthodox service, vespers, matins, etc.

But, check this out (from the New American Standard Bible):

Daniel 3

5. that at the moment you hear the sound of the horn, flute, lyre, trigon, psaltery, :devil: BAGPIPE :devil: and all kinds of music, you are to fall down and worship the golden image that Nebuchadnezzar the king has set up.

7. Therefore at that time, when all the peoples heard the sound of the horn, flute, lyre, trigon, psaltery, :devil: BAGPIPE :devil: and all kinds of music, all the peoples, nations and men of every language fell down and worshiped the golden image that Nebuchadnezzar the king had set up.

10. "You, O king, have made a decree that every man who hears the sound of the horn, flute, lyre, trigon, psaltery, and :devil: BAGPIPE :devil: and all kinds of music, is to fall down and worship the golden image.

15. "Now if you are ready, at the moment you hear the sound of the horn, flute, lyre, trigon, psaltery and :devil: BAGPIPE :devil: and all kinds of music, to fall down and worship the image that I have made, very well. But if you do not worship, you will immediately be cast into the midst of a furnace of blazing fire; and what god is there who can deliver you out of my hands?"
It seems there's a point you're trying to make, here... :wink: