C&F Northeast Whistle Gathering report

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mcurry
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

C&F Northeast Whistle Gathering report

Post by mcurry »

Today I attended my first (and almost certainly not my last) Chiff & Fipple Northeast Whistle Gathering, held at the Sweet's place on the banks of the Scantic River in Enfield, CT.

I had a very fine time, and I hope no one took my quiet as an indication that I wasn't enjoying myself. That's just the way I tend to be around a new group of people. I'd like to thank everyone who offered encouragement or advice to this beginner, and to those who gave me a chance to hear and try a variety of great whistles. :)

There's a selection of the photos I took <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcurry/set ... /">here</a>.

I'll hope to see you all again next year, and by then maybe I'll be comfortable enough with my playing to join in a few tunes!

Michael (that new guy in the pirate t-shirt)
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Glad to see the first batch of photos from this year's Northeast Whistle Gathering, and I hope to see lots more.
One little correction you might want to make, though... the 'Blue Silkstone' is actually an Overton. :oops:
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
mcurry

Post by mcurry »

raindog1970 wrote:Glad to see the first batch of photos from this year's Northeast Whistle Gathering, and I hope to see lots more.
One little correction you might want to make, though... the 'Blue Silkstone' is actually an Overton. :oops:
Hmm....maybe I'm misremembering, but I could have sworn that Paul said it was a Silkstone.

Oh, and I got to try one of your Stealths today. That's one fine whistle!
Michael Curry
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I had lots of fun. I didn't even have time to get out my camera, too many whistles to try and too many tunes to play.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Nope, definitely an Overton anodized by Colin to match my PT Cruiser :D

Nice to meet you, and hope we see you there again!

Nice pics! BTW-- my wife is Charlene, not Cheryl (common mistake)

As you can see, the gathering was not large but the company was without exception wonderful. Several of us extended the day by having dinner after we broke up. Made some real, lasting friends here.

It would be a shame if more people didn't take advantage of this wonderful opportunity next summer. Slowair and I and several others discussed this a bit and we feel that we should start planning WELL in advance so people have the chance to put this in their planners before everything fills up. Sweets' place is a fabulous location, but on the chance that the location is a hindrance to some, we'd consider moving the event to a more mutually satisfactory location. Think about it...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

brewerpaul wrote:Sweets' place is a fabulous location, but on the chance that the location is a hindrance to some, we'd consider moving the event to a more mutually satisfactory location. Think about it...
Hmmm ... somewhere within two hundred miles of me would be nice. :D
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

brewerpaul wrote:Slowair and I and several others discussed this a bit and we feel that we should start planning WELL in advance so people have the chance to put this in their planners before everything fills up.

My thoughts exactly. This would give attendees, potential clinicians, and whistlemakers some much needed advance notice to plan for the event.

Loren
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Great photos Mike, thanks for sharing with those of us who couldn't make it :)

Loren
mcurry

Post by mcurry »

brewerpaul wrote:Nope, definitely an Overton anodized by Colin to match my PT Cruiser :D

Nice to meet you, and hope we see you there again!

Nice pics! BTW-- my wife is Charlene, not Cheryl (common mistake)
Thanks. Both the name of the whistle and the name of your wife have now been corrected on the photos.

Michael
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I'd come if it were closer.
~JessieD
sheryl_coleman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by sheryl_coleman »

Thanks to Mike and the Sweets for organizing and hosting the event! (Sorry I had to bug out early.) I wished I could have heard some of you play more.

How about next time in Saratoga Springs? :D

Sheryl
JS

Post by JS »

Here's a second on Saratoga. Wonder if a C&F gathering could be held inside the Dance Flurry Festival in Feb?
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

Thanks to Michael for posting the photos. I took a few dozen but have not looked at them yet. Once I sort out a few good ones, I will find a way to host them.

Special thanks to Slow Air and Paul for the work they did in preparation for and during the event. Likewise to the Sweets for their kind donation of time, space and expertise. Walt's demo on the ins and outs of tuning--how sanding off a few thousandths of an inch can impact the sound and/or performance of a whistle, for example--was pretty impressive.

Our numbers were small, but we filled the barn with music!! The presence of three fine 'pickers'--at least two of whom also played fine whistle and one of whom is a proud and avowed guitarist--added a lot to the music, and I think that more folks knew more tunes in common than last year.

It was especially refreshing--and most welcome--to visit 'ye olde' swimming hole'. Yes, a cool, crisp and clean running stream that you can just walk to and just jump in!! No health club membership, no parking permit, no residence requirement--just this nice cool stream 50 yards from the Sweets historic site.

I had a great time. (add-on/edit starts here). I just reviewed the photos and there are some good shots in the lot, for sure. I will send the subjects 'their' jpegs for approval. The last four photos I took were taken about five minutes after I left the Sweets. In search of a Starbucks, I turned off the route and happened to see a rainbow, which I photographed and which actually shows up on the jpeg, If my sense of direction is right it is more or less over where we had just spent a pleasant day. If someone can host the photo, let me know by e-mail and I will send you four jpegs to select from.

Tom D.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Greetings from Dingle, gang. Looks like the second NE Gathering was a hit! Paul - the little green man drew a round of solid applause at Ballyduff House in Thomastown, Kilkenny, and he's still travelling with me.
A full report upon my return.

Best,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
preacher
Tell us something.: I am in my 70s and played music since fourth grade. Paid gigs include everything starting with church solos in 4th grade, nightclubs starting 9th grade, and worship ministry. Had a 29 year career teaching high school music both choral and instrumental. I've played several instruments starting with trumpet as my main ax. I added flute, sax and keys after college. Early 2000s whistles were added to my arsenal. I'm back to playing again after a 5 year hiatus.

Post by preacher »

Sounds like I missed something memorable, stayed home sick in bed but am feeling much better today. It would have been my 1st & my wife was even looking forward to it and Conneticut is close by.