My wife bought a 2 row button Serenelli

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
viejomc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

My wife bought a 2 row button Serenelli

Post by viejomc »

And we don't have any idea what to do with it. We were on vacation in Ireland, walked into a music store in Skibbereen during a close-out-going-out-of-business sale. A two row button Serenelli accordion had my wife's attention and we walked out the door with it at what we thought was a bargain. Don't even know. Anyway, how can we know what key this box is tuned to? Can anyone suggest a learning book and where to purchase one? We are both proficient at reading music.
Viejomc
Feo

Post by Feo »

Wow, now that's what I call impulse buying !!!

Way to go !!!

:thumbsup:
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Re: My wife bought a 2 row button Serenelli

Post by StevieJ »

viejomc wrote:And we don't have any idea what to do with it. We were on vacation in Ireland, walked into a music store in Skibbereen during a close-out-going-out-of-business sale. A two row button Serenelli accordion had my wife's attention and we walked out the door with it at what we thought was a bargain. Don't even know. Anyway, how can we know what key this box is tuned to? Can anyone suggest a learning book and where to purchase one? We are both proficient at reading music.
Before you can look at tutor books or videos, you need to know what system the box is tuned in - which means establishing the key of both rows.

If the box has 23 buttons on the right-hand (treble) side, then the 4th button away from the chin-end is the tonic or "doh" - when pressing the bellows (closing them). If it's a 21-button box, the 3rd button is doh.

So open the bellows a little by playing a note or using the air release valve (on the bass side, on the side of the cabinet above the bass buttons) and then press your doh button while you squeeze the bellows closed and test it against a piano or other instrument.

Do the same on the other row.

Since you bought it in Ireland, the box is most likely to be in B/C (C being the inner row, B the outer), or C#/D. But there are many other possibilities, including D/D#, C/C#, or D/G, C/F, G/C and the list goes on.

There are a few tutors for B/C box and quite a bit of stuff for D/G. Let us know what you find out and we'll point you in some direction or other.

Serenellini make good boxes. Do you have the name quite right in your post?

http://www.serenellini.com/

Steve
viejomc

Re: My wife bought a 2 row button Serenelli

Post by viejomc »

StevieJ wrote:
Serenellini make good boxes. Do you have the name quite right in your post?

http://www.serenellini.com/

Steve
I'm certain that this is a Serenelli, not Serenellini. It's for sure a beginners box, but sure sounds great.

I'll check out the number of buttons and check the tuning after work tonight. -Thanks
Viejomc
viejomc

Post by viejomc »

Okay, the box has 2 rows, 11 on the outside row and 10 on the inside row. 3rd button on the inside row while closing the bellows sounds a C. 3rd button on the outside row sounds a B. So this must mean that we have a B/C, correct?
Viejomc
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

viejomc wrote:Okay, the box has 2 rows, 11 on the outside row and 10 on the inside row. 3rd button on the inside row while closing the bellows sounds a C. 3rd button on the outside row sounds a B. So this must mean that we have a B/C, correct?
P/D
Yep, that's B/C, it should match this layout.
viejomc

Post by viejomc »

Thanks for all the help and the button layout.
Viejomc
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

viejomc wrote:So this must mean that we have a B/C, correct?
Ach I'm so sorry for you. It might have been a C#/D :(

Only joking. As far as finding instructional material is concerned, you're much better off with a B/C, and there are more people who teach the B/C system.

Some discussion of tutors on this thread in this forum: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=28388. I think the John Williams video/DVD is a good choice to get started with.

Good luck to you both and if we can help with anything don't hesitate to ask.

Steve