Possible squeezebox/free reed forum: input please

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.

What instruments should a possible squeezebox/free reed forum cover?

Poll ended at Fri May 05, 2006 3:07 pm

Proper irish squeezeboxes only (1-row and 2-row half-step button accordions)
3%
Open it to harmonicas too
6%
Let the concertinas in
6%
Any free-reed instrument used in Irish music
73%
Anything but piano accordions
6%
No, no, no! Please no squeezebox forum!
6%

Total votes: 33

SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Dale wrote:Hm. Don't you guys wish you could turn a phrase like "limiting on the species of boxes on the front end." ?
Yeah, yeah, very good, but are you calling harmonicas "boxes?" :D

And before Carol chimes in, I know that James Conway called his harmonica album "Mouth Box." :wink:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Hey, there's a forum up that's been locked after just one post, which was one from Dale. What did you do to upset yourself so, boss? :lol:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

I'd say allow any free-reed instrument used in Irish Music.

As Wombat says, people cross over between types anyway, so there'd inevitably be some discussion of concertinas even if they weren't in the "acceptable" instrument choices.

I play a D/G box, but I'll be graduating onto Irish stuff eventually, once I have enough Morris tunes, and I'd hate to be excluded just because I'm not playing a chromatic box.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

I look at concertina.net almost daily, as I'm just starting with concertina. I suspect most folks with an interest will go to both sites. It's become way to easy to spend good practice time poking around on the net. Is there concertina equivilent of WhOA? Would it be CoOA or ConOA? I suspect there is some sort of bizarre genetic deformity that can be traced back to early man, probably in Africa, that is the common ancestor of this affliction.
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Martin Milner wrote:I play a D/G box, but I'll be graduating onto Irish stuff eventually, once I have enough Morris tunes, and I'd hate to be excluded just because I'm not playing a chromatic box.
And obviously any Irish music that can be played on a one-row can be played in the exact same fashion on a non-chromatic two-row. Personally, I've been working on "Trim the Velvet" and "McDermott's Hornpipe" on our C/G box. (Though I'm playing McDermott's in G or C rather than the "proper" D, mind you.)
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Dale wrote:Paul Schwartz, who has run concertina.net forever, is a terrific guy and I really wouldn't want to pull traffic away from his forum. So, I don't know that we want to ban concertina discussion, but I would hope people would actively refer people to his forum, particularly if they are unfamiliar with it. I'd establish a "sticky" with a banner and plug for his site on the new squeezebox forum.

Apart from that, I don't see any reason to do much limiting on the species of boxes on the front end.

Hm. Don't you guys wish you could turn a phrase like "limiting on the species of boxes on the front end." ?

English is my first language.
You know, I really have no objection if accordion players want to have their own forum on C&F so they can talk about playing Irish music on the accordion. Apparently they have no other place to go on the 'net to do that, so who am I to deny them an outlet for their own particular perversion? But there's one thing about this proposed forum that upsets me as a player of Irish music on the concertina, and that is its designation as a Squeezebox Forum with the added provision that "Oh, you Irish concertina players get on over to concertina.net now and don't be hanging around here". See, the last time I looked my concertina was a box (albeit hexagonal rather than rectangular) and to play it I need to do lots of squeezing. Sounds to me like that's a squeezebox - and I didn't need to be an English major to figure that out, either. If StevieJ wants to call it a squeeze pillbox, that's okay with me as last time I looked a pillbox was still a box. Therefore, a squeeze pillbox is by definition a type of squeezebox.

All kidding aside (even though what I've written so far may not sound like kidding, in spirit that's how it's intended), how would it look if you decided to set up a "Christian Discussion Forum" with no Baptists (or Catholics, or Methodists or whatever) allowed? Or, for StevieJ's benifit, how would he like to see a "North American Discussion Forum (No Canadians Please)"? Having a Squeezebox Forum and excluding concertinas is exactly the same thing! If you want a forum devoted to discussion of Irish accordions, just call it the Irish Accordion Forum and be done with it. If you need a cute tag line to put under it that reinforces the need for concertina players to look elsewhere, just say "Why use two hands when you can get by with just one?" We concertina folks aren't dumb - we'll figure it out and leave you guys alone.

And Dale, while I appreciate your desire not to tread on the territory of your friend Paul Schwartz, as I've pointed out elsewhere concertina.net is a great resource but it does not claim to focus in any way on Irish concertina playing. Although there is of course discussion of Irish music on concertina.net, there is no discussion forum there specifically devoted to Irish music, nor is there any other partition on the site roped out for Irish music players. It's just a general and very ecumenical concertina player hangout. So if you were to decide to set up an Irish Concertina Forum (and I'm not suggesting that you do), I don't think you'd owe any apology at all to concertina.net. Did you apologize to woodfenflute.com when you set up the C&F Flute Forum? Did you apologize to thesession.org when you set up the Irish Traditional Music Forum? Did you apologize to the pub owners of Ireland when you set up the C&F Postructural Pub? (No? Really, I think you should have. You pull a lousy pint here on C&F....)
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

dwinterfield wrote:Is there concertina equivilent of WhOA?
I met a guy at Goderich (in 2004) who had gotten Frank Edgley to make him several concertinas in different keys -- one was a A/E, so he could easily play along with a flat set of pipes in B.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

johnkerr wrote:
Dale wrote:Paul Schwartz, who has run concertina.net forever, is a terrific guy and I really wouldn't want to pull traffic away from his forum. So, I don't know that we want to ban concertina discussion, but I would hope people would actively refer people to his forum, particularly if they are unfamiliar with it. I'd establish a "sticky" with a banner and plug for his site on the new squeezebox forum.

Apart from that, I don't see any reason to do much limiting on the species of boxes on the front end.

Hm. Don't you guys wish you could turn a phrase like "limiting on the species of boxes on the front end." ?

English is my first language.
You know, I really have no objection if accordion players want to have their own forum on C&F so they can talk about playing Irish music on the accordion. Apparently they have no other place to go on the 'net to do that, so who am I to deny them an outlet for their own particular perversion? But there's one thing about this proposed forum that upsets me as a player of Irish music on the concertina, and that is its designation as a Squeezebox Forum with the added provision that "Oh, you Irish concertina players get on over to concertina.net now and don't be hanging around here". See, the last time I looked my concertina was a box (albeit hexagonal rather than rectangular) and to play it I need to do lots of squeezing. Sounds to me like that's a squeezebox - and I didn't need to be an English major to figure that out, either. If StevieJ wants to call it a squeeze pillbox, that's okay with me as last time I looked a pillbox was still a box. Therefore, a squeeze pillbox is by definition a type of squeezebox.

All kidding aside (even though what I've written so far may not sound like kidding, in spirit that's how it's intended), how would it look if you decided to set up a "Christian Discussion Forum" with no Baptists (or Catholics, or Methodists or whatever) allowed? Or, for StevieJ's benifit, how would he like to see a "North American Discussion Forum (No Canadians Please)"? Having a Squeezebox Forum and excluding concertinas is exactly the same thing! If you want a forum devoted to discussion of Irish accordions, just call it the Irish Accordion Forum and be done with it. If you need a cute tag line to put under it that reinforces the need for concertina players to look elsewhere, just say "Why use two hands when you can get by with just one?" We concertina folks aren't dumb - we'll figure it out and leave you guys alone.

And Dale, while I appreciate your desire not to tread on the territory of your friend Paul Schwartz, as I've pointed out elsewhere concertina.net is a great resource but it does not claim to focus in any way on Irish concertina playing. Although there is of course discussion of Irish music on concertina.net, there is no discussion forum there specifically devoted to Irish music, nor is there any other partition on the site roped out for Irish music players. It's just a general and very ecumenical concertina player hangout. So if you were to decide to set up an Irish Concertina Forum (and I'm not suggesting that you do), I don't think you'd owe any apology at all to concertina.net. Did you apologize to woodfenflute.com when you set up the C&F Flute Forum? Did you apologize to thesession.org when you set up the Irish Traditional Music Forum? D
Didn't apologize to concertina.net, either.

Thanks for your perpective on this.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

The concertinas played by black South Africans from around the 30s were known as squashboxes. (There's a great compilation CD of this music called Squashbox.)
Blackout_Entertainment

Post by Blackout_Entertainment »

Finally, I place to talk about my secret affaire with the melodica! :lol:
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Despite someone overthere recently saying the mainfocus of Concertina.net is Irish music, I agree with John there is actually very little discussion of irish music subjects on Conc.net. It would be nice to discuss the consherthiner here a bit more in detail.

Wombat wrote:The concertinas played by black South Africans from around the 30s were known as squashboxes. (There's a great compilation CD of this music called Squashbox.)
What about these guys Wombat?

Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Peter Laban wrote:Despite someone overthere recently saying the mainfocus of Concertina.net is Irish music, I agree with John there is actually very little discussion of irish music subjects on Conc.net. It would be nice to discuss the consherthiner here a bit more in detail.

Wombat wrote:The concertinas played by black South Africans from around the 30s were known as squashboxes. (There's a great compilation CD of this music called Squashbox.)
What about these guys Wombat?

That's a cool photo, Peter, but not quite what was understood by a squashbox, to my eyes. It's bit too big and not diagonal; an accordeon I'd guess.

A squashbox is bigger than a normal anglo and has two reeds per note, tuned an octave apart. I think that they are now made only by Bastari. I can't post photos from home or I'd find one to illustrate.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Don't worry, I was just looking for an excuse to post that pic.

This would fit the squashbox bill better:

Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Thanks Peter, that's one of the photos I had in mind. I have a couple of others just as good but no ability to post them.
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

OK, so the consensus is very clearly in favour of all stripes of free reeds in ITM. Although nobody who actually plays the button box at any level of proficiency as far as I can see has yet expressed an opinion (apologies to anyone I am unjustly slighting here).

The reason I thought of restricting it to accordions, apart from the fact that there isn't an Irish-trad-specific button-box forum anywhere else, is that if a forum is too diffuse, truly knowledgeable people might not see the interest in hanging out there.

Anyway the people have spoken (the Basmatis!) and I hope the new forum will get off to a great start.

Who's going to lead us off?
Steve