what's good to get to play along with cds of pipes in B?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lesl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

what's good to get to play along with cds of pipes in B?

Post by lesl »

I am wondering about B whistles to play along with flat pipes on cds. I dont' want anything fancy or costly. But haven't seen anyone talk about B whistles ever. I've just come across 2 great cds I'm wishing I had a B whistle to play with. Kittie Lie over and Jimmy O Brien-Moran's cd. What do you all use for this kind of thing?

Thanks in advance.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Hey Lesl, I had a Syn Bnat once, I liked it a lot it was part of a set of 8 different tubes, but I traded it for a Water Weasel Eb. I have been longing for a B whsitle ever since. Dan Bingamon makes a CPVC Bnat whistle, it is only $22! I have a High D of his which is pretty good. Susato makes one too. If you want to spend a bit more (which you probably don't) Mike Burke and Gary Humphrey make them also.

For the Syn here is Erle Bartlett's email: synwhistles at yahoo dot com dot au

If you get the Jubilee, tell me how you like it because I am having a really hard time not ordering a Bnat, A, and an F for $22 each.
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

I'll second the Syn.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

The Susato B is my favorite Susato. Clear and rich tone.
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

i know you said you don't want anything fancy, but i have to jump in. the burke B is not just my favorite B whistle, its pretty much my favorite whistle. its an ideal balance of "not quite as shrill as a d" with "easier to play than a low whistle" .

meir
lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

Thank you all for your suggestions here. I had put this temporarily on hold, but then was just given 2 more cds with B pipes (Ronan Browne with Peadar O'Loughlin, absolutely brilliant)..

I emailed Mr. Bartlett to enquire, but I think I made a mistake, as before I re-found this thread I had thought he carried whistles that were only 40 or 50 dollars - is there a price list for Syn B anywhere?

If anyone could point me to a photo of the Jubilee mouthpiece - the website photo only shows the front. I do love Michael Burke's whistles but can't afford that to play cd-duets. Susato's bother me, so that leaves the Syn or the Jubilee so far.

I'm going to head over to ask the Pipers too. Thanks again!
carrie

Re: what's good to get to play along with cds of pipes in B?

Post by carrie »

lesl wrote:I am wondering about B whistles to play along with flat pipes on cds. Kittie Lie over...
I think most of the tunes are in Bb on this recording (the first one is for sure). You'd probably have a much wider selection of whistles for that key.

Carol
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

There's always the sawed-off Generation option. Someone once posted the directions on the whistle forum.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
lesl

Re: what's good to get to play along with cds of pipes in B?

Post by lesl »

cskinner wrote:
lesl wrote: ... Kittie Lie over...
I think most of the tunes are in Bb on this recording (the first one is for sure). Carol
Yes, thanks Carol. I have a Bb generation so that was fine to start with. but then a key of B conspiracy began to develop since around Feb and now its April.. :)

I was actually wondering about the sawing method. A Bb gen is easy enough to come by. Hoping to find that earlier thread. Thanks Chas.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Brid O'Donohue uses a Susato B to great effect on Tobar an Duchais.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

lesl wrote: I emailed Mr. Bartlett to enquire, but I think I made a mistake, as before I re-found this thread I had thought he carried whistles that were only 40 or 50 dollars - is there a price list for Syn B anywhere?

If anyone could point me to a photo of the Jubilee mouthpiece - the website photo only shows the front. I do love Michael Burke's whistles but can't afford that to play cd-duets. Susato's bother me, so that leaves the Syn or the Jubilee so far.
The Syns should only be around $40-$50, unless Erle recently raised his prices.

That is a picture (taken from Wander's site) of the back of a Jubilee S4 in D. I currently have that whistle, if you will be at the IAANJ on Friday I could bring it.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I sawed a Generation Eb to make an E. Not brilliant in terms of tuning but it worked. And not too huge an investment.

Jennie
lesl

Post by lesl »

Sure Avery, I'd like to see a Jubilee. The photo looks like there's a gap in it. Anyway, I should be up for the McCullough bash on Fri.

The trouble with the sawing is knowing exactly how much, isn't it. Tuning is an issue for me. I'm already using a Sindt C pulled way out and that only keeps in tune out there for the first octave. oww

I've already heard from both makers or their #1's, and am just waiting to find out my choices now of each. Jubilee has more than one material, I didn't know that.
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

My Jubilee is in D, the PVC is $22 and a Brass in B is a custom thing, he only makes the S4s in C, D, and E. This is a Whistle one buys for the sound, not perfect cosmetically, but it sounds pretty good.
lesl

Post by lesl »

Just an update here - a friend [Innocent Bystander!!] made me a B whistle from the pvc workshop place - I'm a happy camper now! :party: