Hoover Whitecap or Blacktop?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jason Paul

Hoover Whitecap or Blacktop?

Post by Jason Paul »

I'm curious what the difference is between these two, other than the materials, obviously. I've read that the blacktop has fewer clogging problems, but then I've read of others who don't have clogging problems with the whitecap.

Is there much difference in sound quality?

Anyone have both, and would you recommend one over the other? Is the blacktop "worth" $20 more than the whitecap?

Also, on a related note, I have a Feadog, Generation, and Oak that I could use for a body. It seems that the Oak is popular for this. Should I just plan on using that one? Or, will I get a warmer tone with a brass barrel? I'd just as soon use a $5 Gen as a $10 Oak if they're both just as "in tune".

I guess the question is, which of these three is known best for good intonation? Or, is there another cheapie I should use instead?

And I will probably email Mack with specific questions. I just wanted to get the forum's thoughts.

Thanks,
Jason
preacher
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am in my 70s and played music since fourth grade. Paid gigs include everything starting with church solos in 4th grade, nightclubs starting 9th grade, and worship ministry. Had a 29 year career teaching high school music both choral and instrumental. I've played several instruments starting with trumpet as my main ax. I added flute, sax and keys after college. Early 2000s whistles were added to my arsenal. I'm back to playing again after a 5 year hiatus.

Post by preacher »

I got a whitecap that works well on both Walton and Feadog -transforms them into much better players it seems. i'm still new but this my experience. Mack will give you good advice. i haven't tried his blackcaps yet but you bet they will be high quality!
fearfaoin

Re: Hoover Whitecap or Blacktop?

Post by fearfaoin »

Jason Paul wrote:I'm curious what the difference is between these two, other than the materials, obviously. I've read that the blacktop has fewer clogging problems, but then I've read of others who don't have clogging problems with the whitecap.
I have yet to get a blacktop, but I really need to, since I gave away
my whitecap/Generation, which was great. The whitetop clogged for
me constantly, so the difference would be worth it to me.
Jason Paul wrote:Also, on a related note, I have a Feadog, Generation, and Oak that I could use for a body. It seems that the Oak is popular for this. Should I just plan on using that one? Or, will I get a warmer tone with a brass barrel? I'd just as soon use a $5 Gen as a $10 Oak if they're both just as "in tune".
Try them all. It's easy to change bodies... experiment and see which
you like the best. I ended up preferring my nickel Generation body
to the brass Feadog, but that was just me.
Oreo

Post by Oreo »

Bear in mind that Mack makes both loud and quiet models of both black and white caps.

I like my 2 year old whitecap better than my recent blackcap. Both are of the louder variety. My blackcap is not a darker sound than the whitecap. I would say it is brighter sounding.

It would really interesting to know how recent whitecaps compare to recent blacktops.

Oreo
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I've got two whitecaps, one which is on an Oak tube that Mack made several years ago, and which is an incredibly sweet whistle, and one which is on one of Mack's own tubes, made about a year ago, which is an extremely good whistle--it's got the sweetness of his earlier work, with more backpressure and a bit more volume.

Neither one of these are his ultra-quiet models; these are both whisltes that would work just fine in all but the largest sessions.

I've never had clogging problems on either whistle.

I've tried some of his early blacktops and found them quite good, a slightly less pure sound, with a bit more depth and character.

I don't think you'd go wrong either way.

In my experience, Mack is an extremely nice guy and a very talented maker; he'll work with you if you tell him what specifically you're after.

--James
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Thanks for the information.

I ended up ordering a Whitecap and plan to put it on an Oak body.

BTW James, it was the recordings of yours that helped with the final decision. I have a Generation and a Feadog, so the "traditional" chiffy sound is covered. For this one, I wanted sweet and pure, and the Whitecap on Oak sounds like just what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Jason
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I have a Whitecap Oak and a Whitecap Gen brass, and I use think the Gen is a little quieter and warmer. It's my number one practice whistle.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony