Questions about GFM Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
riverman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Questions about GFM Whistles

Post by riverman »

Dear Friends,
I have been playing about a year now, and have learned so much from your discussions.
I have a serious urge to get a "C" whistle, because I play worship music as well as Irish. (and I have WHOD)
I am looking at the GFM whistles by Charles Tilbury. The price looks sweet. My questions:
Is the tuning good?
Do they have a buzz? (FIGHT THE BUZZ!)
Are they louder than the Burkes? My ears register pain with louder whistles. What about the upper register? Do you really have to push to hit it?
How does aluminum TASTE, anyway??
Has Dale Wisely said anything about them?
Is a D C set advisable?
Does anybody have experience with these whistles? The price is not an extreme gamble, but why gamble when I have such knowledgable buddies around?

THANKS,
Kelly
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
piedwhistler
antispam: No

Post by piedwhistler »

Finaly, a fellow hoosier!!! :D

Check out the whistle shop. They have the whistles you are looking for listed on the front page. http://www.thewhistleshop.com/
Hope this helps!
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I have had one (a high D) for a couple of weeks. They are about the same volume as a narrow bore Burke. There is no extra push for the upper octave, plays really easily. Tuning is good, even the OXXOOO Cnat is in tune. The tone is very pure, no buzz although they do have a bit more complexity than the Burke DASBT I used to have. Although that is not buzz, it is tone. This is the Whistle I use in a smaller session. I haven't payed any attention to the aluminum taste.

If you don't want to spend that much, a Dixon is worth considering. If you are alright with spending a few more bucks and waitng a year, the Sindt C is a fantastic whistle, it is in my top three and I have played a lot of Whistles. (the other two are an Abell and a Sweetheart)
riverman

Post by riverman »

Thanks, Unseen! I pushed the button! Now the hard part....the WAIT....
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

piedwhistler wrote:Finaly, a fellow hoosier!!! :D
There are a few of us about...

-Brett

Bloomington.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

riverman wrote:Thanks, Unseen! I pushed the button! Now the hard part....the WAIT....
Tell us when the wait is over.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Bretton wrote:
piedwhistler wrote:Finaly, a fellow hoosier!!! :D
There are a few of us about...

-Brett

Bloomington.
I worked in Bedford one summer.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I had one in my hands briefly, but didn't have it long enough to write up a good review.
ctilbury

Post by ctilbury »

Wanderer wrote:I had one in my hands briefly, but didn't have it long enough to write up a good review.
I am going to send you one RIGHT NOW! PM your adddress, please. <<grin>>
Happy Whistling!
-=ChuckT=-
www.whistlemaker.com
Oreo

Post by Oreo »

Doesn't look like Riverman has gotten an answer to some questions:
I have a serious urge to get a "C" whistle, because I play worship music as well as Irish. (and I have WHOD)
I am looking at the GFM whistles by Charles Tilbury. The price looks sweet. My questions:
Is the tuning good?
Do they have a buzz? (FIGHT THE BUZZ!)
Are they louder than the Burkes? My ears register pain with louder whistles. What about the upper register? Do you really have to push to hit it?
How does aluminum TASTE, anyway??
Has Dale Wisely said anything about them?
Is a D C set advisable?
I haven't tried a C GFM yet. But getting one is high on my wish list. I love the D I have.
The tuning is EXCELLENT, and I am very fussy on that.
Yes, price very good.
What do you mean by BUZZ? They do have a more breathy tone than some others. I find it makes them sound softer and gentler.
I think they are about as loud as a Burke, if Chuck is still making them like the prototype he sent me. If you want a soft whistle, see Mack Hoover.

You can hear how mine sounds by reading my post:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... hlight=gfm
(I am really embarrassed by my playing, however.)
Response in the upper register is very even. You don't need to work to get the upper notes out.

The aluminum doesn't taste. My main reaction is that it is cold to the touch.

Oreo Phil
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

Phil, I think Kelly means the type of buzz asociated with Syns
ctilbury

Post by ctilbury »

I think I pretty much got all of the buzz out of my aluminum whistles. :D These whistles do not have an "edgy" sound. They are sweet. You can make them chiff, but they wont really do it without some breath control. They are easy to over blow and some people have trouble with that. It makes the bell note sound weak. When you back off a little, then the bell note comes back and sounds (IMHO) pretty good. You cannot really push it, though.

Also, I am getting ready to have another go at brass instruments. I think I finally figured out how to make them without ruining every third one... <<grin>> I will post some pics when they are ready, in a few weeks.

Happy Whistling!
Happy Whistling!
-=ChuckT=-
www.whistlemaker.com
scheky

Post by scheky »

If you are experimenting, how about experimenting with a Low F? If there is one key I'd love to get my hands on, that's the one.

<insert subliminals here>
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

ctilbury wrote:I think I pretty much got all of the buzz out of my aluminum whistles. :D These whistles do not have an "edgy" sound. They are sweet. You can make them chiff, but they wont really do it without some breath control. They are easy to over blow and some people have trouble with that. It makes the bell note sound weak. When you back off a little, then the bell note comes back and sounds (IMHO) pretty good. You cannot really push it, though.

Also, I am getting ready to have another go at brass instruments. I think I finally figured out how to make them without ruining every third one... <<grin>> I will post some pics when they are ready, in a few weeks.

Happy Whistling!
I've never had a chance to try one...the brass in particular sounds most interesting! Brass whistles just seem to have a bit of extra "oomph!" to me.

--James
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

scheky wrote:If you are experimenting, how about experimenting with a Low F? If there is one key I'd love to get my hands on, that's the one.
I know Chuck has been working on Low Gs. I have one on order, and I will be sure to post my impressions after getting to know it.