Musical Fission

Formerly North-Indian Global-Zombie-Trance Jazz, Barbershop-Darbhanga Fusion, Rai-Ska Outlaw Country Operetta , Neurofunk Madrigal Throat Singing, Freestyle Acid House Flamenco, Twelve Tone Boy Groups, Dark Ambient Ragtime Fusion, Klezmer Surf Trance; Gregorian Chant/Bluegrass; Andean-Reggae Black Metal for Lapsed Lutherans; Chinese Opera-Mississippi Delta Blues; Alpine Yodeling-Samba Fusion; and Mariachi-Polka Waltz-Punk Forum
jsluder
antispam: No

Musical Fission

Post by jsluder »

In the newest forum name, Dale asked, "Could there be...Musical Fission?" Well, of course there could. In fact, it happens every time a band splits up.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Re: Musical Fission

Post by Tyler »

jsluder wrote:In the newest forum name, Dale asked, "Could there be...Musical Fission?" Well, of course there could. In fact, it happens every time a band splits up.
Solo careers, right!?
Paul McCartney is the product of musical fission. :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Tyler Morris wrote:
jsluder wrote:In the newest forum name, Dale asked, "Could there be...Musical Fission?" Well, of course there could. In fact, it happens every time a band splits up.
Solo careers, right!?
Exactly. Of course, not all musical fission creates energy. Look at Peter Cetera's solo career, for instance.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

jsluder wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:
Solo careers, right!?
Exactly. Of course, not all musical fission creates energy. Look at Peter Cetera's solo career, for instance.
Ahhh, yes, we could refer to that as dead fission.
Another prime example...Steve Perry!!!!
A'course it took his fission for the new Journey to create their fusion, and they have energy, boy howdy!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Well, okay, let's get serious here.

I. Yes, there is such a thing as musical fission and it happened in the early 1900's. I think the idea here is that things fell apart and then these dudes started something new. I don't really know what the music is that fell apart. Maybe it couldn't be written down because of the angst caused by the fission.
http://www.ce-review.org/00/16/bagust16.html
Beyond Fission
Schoenberg, Kandinsky, the Blaue Reiter and the Russian avant garde

Sue Bagust

The first two decades of the last century were a period of frantic creativity and turmoil. The destruction of previous norms and expectations in all areas of life had a huge impact on all the arts in all countries. In 1913, Wassily Kandinsky wrote that "the disintegration of the atom was to me like the disintegration of the whole world." Like many other artists he expressed this new perception of things with a new aesthetic, one that dissolved the previous sense of a solid material reality - with the help of music, the least solid of all the arts.

Sounds into images

An important ingredient of the new movement was the idea that painting could become like music; an idea that led to the composer Arnold Schoenberg (who was himself an innovatory painter) becoming central to the consolidation of Kandinsky's and Marc's Blaue Reiter aesthetic. After a concert of Schoenberg's music in January 1911, Kandinsky established contact with the composer, and the two wrote and collaborated intensively for the next few years.

II. Yes, there is such a thing as musical fission and it is highly weird. This is a discussion from the CEC Conference of the International Electroacoustic Community. I have bolded what appear to be significant terms.
http://alcor.concordia.ca/~kaustin/cecc ... /1423.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Re: fission
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 04:47:14 EDT

Next message: musiques.recherches@skynet.be: "Résultats concours l'Espace du Son"
Previous message: Kevin Austin: "Re: (compound melody) was: fission"
In reply to: macCormac: "Re: fission"
Next in thread: Richard Zvonar: "Re: fission"
Reply: miriam clinton (iriXx): "Re: fission"
Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

flogging, possibly - its quite painful to sing.... (and listen to)
hehe

mC~

macCormac wrote:
>does this have anything to do with 'flocking' ?
>
>mCm
>

>Rick Nance wrote:
>>>I'm used to calling it stream segregation I guess. That might be the
>>best search phrase.
>>
>>"stream segregation" music fission in google comes up with some links.
>>but I think I like your selection better. The Bach solo flute peices are
>>pretty good demonstrations.
>>
>>Try Tellemann though. Or maybe Fred Frith.
>>
>>can a solo instrument hocket?
>>
>>r
>>
>>Prof Malone wrote:
>>
>> i was actually thinking of the psychoacoustic phenomenon of melodic
>>>streaming by frequency proximity and tempo
>>>the term was coined by Van Noorden

>>>
>>>i have been using the bach cello suites
>>>but i am looking for more varied examples

--
99% of aliens prefer Earth
--Eminem
www.iriXx.org
www.copyleftmedia.org.uk
Next message: musiques.recherches@skynet.be: "Résultats concours l'Espace du Son"
Previous message: Kevin Austin: "Re: (compound melody) was: fission"
In reply to: macCormac: "Re: fission"
Next in thread: Richard Zvonar: "Re: fission"
Reply: miriam clinton (iriXx): "Re: fission"
Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ]

:boggle: :o :boggle: :o
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Cynth...admit it.
You just made all that up, diddn' ya!!??

just kiddin' :D