Hurdy Gurdy tuning

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
tommyk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Hurdy Gurdy tuning

Post by tommyk »

Anyone out there have experience with this?

I understand (from Helmut Gotschy) that there are two basic tunings:
a C/G tuning and an all-D tuning.

To me, the all-D would end up making the instrument sound more akin to the uilleann pipes. The C/G perhaps Northumbrian smallpipes.

Of course, he can also add capos, allowing the drones to move one whole step - affording C/D/G/A.

Any thoughts on which one is "best"?
- Tommy Kochel

The Knotwork Band

www.theknotworkband.com
FaceBook: The Knotwork Band
theknotworkband@gmail.com
Tim Hall
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tim Hall »

It may depend on a couple of things - what sort of music do you want to play, what's your instrument designed for, and what's your background?

My HG is in C/G tuning, which is more or less standard for Baroque music. It has the additional advantage that the keys on the gurdy correspond to their notes on the piano keyboard. When I watch the backs of the keys, this gives me a visual cue to whether I'm on the right place on the keybox. If I re-tuned to D/G, then my keyboard would be "transposing," and this would remove the visual cues.

I also understand that the D tuning is traditional for some regions of folk playing, and if one is interested in these traditions, then one probably wants to fit in with other musicians.

Remember (at least in C/G), the chanter is tuned to the fifth when open, and the drones are tuned to the tonic. I have a three-string gurdy, so have my drone and trompette in C, and the chanter on open G.

There is, in case you didn't know, a HG mailing list, which is full of info on these matters, and can be reached through the Olympic Musical Instruments web site - www.hurdygurdy.com.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

It's a well known fact that hurdy gurdies CAN'T be tuned... :P
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tim Hall

Post by Tim Hall »

Sure you can tune a HG. You just can't stop ...

Tim
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Or as someone once told me ...

"The hurdy gurdy - a minute to play, a life time to tune"

:D

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
Tim Hall

Post by Tim Hall »

For anyone who might be seriously interested, there is a wealth of hurdy-gurdies on Ebay right now. The only ones that are from a maker I've heard of are the Daniel Thonon gurdies (one acoustic, one electric), but I have no connection with and no direct knowledge of any of these instruments. Just thought I'd pass the info along.
Dowser

Re: Hurdy Gurdy tuning

Post by Dowser »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

Tim Hall, I have just ordered a hurdy gurdy from Altarwind, in Oregon. I, too, am in Louisville. My hurdy gurdy won't get here until mid November, and I am really excited about it. If you wish to see the hurdy gurdy I ordered, it in on the Altarwind site, The Full Monty.

The hurdy gurdy I ordered has geared tuning pegs, supposedly to help it maintain it's tuning. I hope that helps!!!

Do you play in Louisville? Do you know of other hurdy gurdy players in Louisville?

I know you are likely very busy and have no wish to diddle around with an amateur, but it would really be great if I may talk with you, on this forum or in person.

Thanks very much!

Dowser
tommyk

Post by tommyk »

LOLOL!

Mine is also their Full Monty. I ordered a few years ago - convinced George (great guy) to begin using metal tangents and to hook up his trompette, drone, and melody strings with capos.

I'm to receive my Full Monty round about October - with reversed dragon head and other appointments to make it rather Viking ship like.

Built in EQ sound system - 3 capoed trompettes, 3 capoed drones, 4 capoed chanterelles. Half fretted fingerboard under the drone strings. 12 sympathetics. Quite lovely.

ALSO - I'm in Louisville every year for a week of test grading work - usually at the Galt House - free in the evenings. Round about the second week in June.
- Tommy Kochel

The Knotwork Band

www.theknotworkband.com
FaceBook: The Knotwork Band
theknotworkband@gmail.com
Dowser

Post by Dowser »

tommyk--

This is wonderful! I am so glad to hear it! I am not a professional musician, rather, a hydrogeologist, but I am very excited about the hurdy gurdy. George seems to be a very nice fellow-- and his hurdy gurdies appear to be some of the best!

I got the dragon head, too-- in fact, mine will look just like the one on the site-- brown with black trim. It also has all the whistles and bells. I've purchased an amp, an electronic tuner, and am writing music on Music Score, so as to have sheet music. (I haven't done this in 40 years, so I am rusty at music notation.)

Have you played long? I have never seen one in real life, nor heard one played, in real life, (only recordings). So why do I think I can play this? Unlike a guitar, it only plays one note at a time... And I have many friends that play something-- so I'll have lots of people to help me figure this out, I hope.

Maybe next year, when you are in Louisville I will have had mine for a while, and we can get together and talk. I would love to meet someone who also has a hurdy gurdy, and trade ideas. Please do not be dismayed, I am not a stalker, but more of a grandmotherly type. :) My best friend from grade school plays for the Baltimore Symphony, so at least I have someone who is encouraging me to keep my dreams alive.

Thank you, very much, for your kind reply. I look forward to meeting you someday!!! Take care,

Dowser