Silver Anniversary Set (25 years of pipemaking)?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
lemonsquash
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lemonsquash »

Sorry--can I ask for contact information for the Sean Reid Society as well? I'm having no luck unearthing it on the web. Thanks.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

On 2002-05-04 11:23, lemonsquash wrote:
Sorry--can I ask for contact information for the Sean Reid Society as well? I'm having no luck unearthing it on the web. Thanks.
There's a website but that's a secret ;-o]

The US distribution for the second journal is done by Mark Walstrom [nancymark@earthlink.net], he told me he nearly had the hardware for copying the CD Rom/journal sorted, give him another week and it will be running. Otherwise contact the editor, Ken McLeod
lemonsquash

Post by lemonsquash »

Thanks. I do think it might be worth trying to get an American university press interested in the book--Boston University comes to mind first, since Seamus Connolly administers the Gaelic Roots Summer School there and they have a strong Irish Studies department--offhand, though, I'm not sure if they run a press. What about Chicago or New York? There has to be a way.....
Kevin Popejoy

Post by Kevin Popejoy »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kevin Popejoy on 2002-06-25 11:01 ]</font>
Joseph
antispam: No

Post by Joseph »

Hey guys,
since no one had mentioned anything for a while, I thought I would let you know that I got up the nerve the other day and called Geoff on the phone in Ireland (I am in California). I am 24 and have been playing the uilleann pipes for 4 or 5 months but have seen and researched them for a while. I love playing my practice set and can't get enough of it. Anyway, I talked to Geoff and he graciously put me down on his 13-14 year waiting list. I figure I am young and have time to wait. By the time he gets around to making them, God willing (he will be about 65), I will be about 37 or 38, and hopefully of the calliber of player to do them justice (plus by then I will have saved up enough money).
So I was excited and just thought I would drop a line.
Take care everyone
God bless
Joseph
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Someone bit at the 25,000 level. I'm afraid that's probably out of my range, or even if I bid a little higher that it will definately be out of my range. Plus I'm not honestly sure (in my humble opinion) that any set of pipes is worth that much.

So. I'm going to spend a few hundred to get a nice metal lathe, some aged wood (boxwood, rosewood, blackwood/ebony) and see if I can make myself a nice $25,000 set in the next few years.

It's amazing. In two weeks I saw two perfect lathes come up for sale, and called only to find out they had been instantly sold (they were the perfect size, make and price). Now it's been 3+weeks and the only lathes that show up are in the 1.5-7k range. Boo.

Dionys
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Your man put his bid in during the Tommy McCarthy concert, I was there.

It is ofcourse ridiculous beyond words, even if you get a very nice set of pipes for it.
But he said he just bought a new car for 35 K and how long would that last him A point ofcourse, if you have that sort of money knocking about.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Laban on 2002-06-25 07:19 ]</font>
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

I have to agree. If you have the money to burn, there is certainly no other maker I would probably want a set from. Unfortunately I don't have money to burn.

Plus a 35,000 car will last a very long time if you take care of it. Besides which. A 2500$ car will probably last you just as long if you choose well.

Dionys
biliii

Post by biliii »

Last edited by biliii on Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Unfortunately, most or all of the contact links no longer work. I have tried emailing some so that I could purchase the CD ROM(s?) that they put out. Lord knows I could use measurments and whatever kind of educational material I can get my hands on.

Best,
Dionys
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

Dear Dionys,
Give the yahoo ameture bagpipe makers group a try. Lots of info and very nice people(with few exceptions). If I remember right, Chris Bailey has charted out some nice plans and I think Alan Ginsburg also sells plans. Also the borderpipes society in England supports alot of pipe making info.
'Hope this gives you some leads, but if you're going to make pipes be prepared for ALOT of frustration. All the best,
Marc
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Ginsburg...
This URL popped up recently
http://www.hgt.gwynedd.gov.uk/uilleannpipes/default.htm
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Ginsburg has some nice plans from what I understand, and they're on my eventual list, but I'd like to get the measurements that the Seán Reid Society has on their CD Roms. David Daye also has some nice bore measurements on his web sites, as well as the tone hole size/distances. The Amateur Bagpipes Group is very helpful, though I don't remember any UP plans/measurements.

As for frustration, I'm ready. I have tons of patience and I'm ready to learn and make mistakes that I learn from.

Best,
Dionys
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

If I remember correctly the set was resold not so long ago by the first owner to a lady in Wexford? Does the set get taken out and played at sessions, tionals etc. or is it a home instrument? Just wondering thats all
geoff wooff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Silver Anniversary Set (25 years of pipemaking)?

Post by geoff wooff »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

Reviving this old topic that I came across by accident:

To answer Steampaket's question, the set is played a great deal, the lady who bought it plays it at Glendalough, outdoors, most days of the summer, has made several CD's with her friend and sells these CD's to the tourists visiting this historic site.

The ladies came down to central France last year for the purpose of getting the set serviced, left it with me for a couple of days and all was put back in order prior to recording another CD.

Geoff.