Squeezebox II

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

[quote="Sylvester"]

BTW, does anyone have any reference for unseens112's link at the top of the page? Not willing to seem like untrusting. I'd just like know if anybody from you has ever played a box by them. What's the sound like and so on.

Hi Silvester,

they seem to use Binci reeds at the Dancemaster, so they'll sound not too far off a Vanderaa http://www.accordionmaker.com/compirish ... muziek=aan Dave Munnelly plays Vanderaa.
john whelan plays a Cairdin http://www.johnwhelan.com/discography/index.asp
Mairtin o'Connor and Jacky Daly play Saltarelle,....sound's important...[/
quote]
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Sylvester wrote:BTW, does anyone have any reference for unseens112's link at the top of the page? Not willing to seem like untrusting. I'd just like know if anybody from you has ever played a box by them. What's the sound like and so on.
I haven't seen or tried one Sylvester, although I had a chance a few years ago when your man was trying to set up an accordion workshop for neophytes in Montreal. He said that he had boxes for people to try. It never happened and I wasn't interested anyway. The insane idea of learning the accordion hadn't bitten me at the time.

However I have read several comments on other irish box forums suggesting that these boxes are very good value for money - good sound, well made, and very playable.

Personally I would prefer not to buy a box that had been made in China, even if re-fettled in the US. There are so many great little manufacturers close to you, in Italy!

You'll see quite a few second-hand Hohner Double-Ray models going on eBay - about one a week. They are all B/C boxes and they seem to fetch about US $600 at the moment.

Have you tried contacting any of the Italian manufacturers directly? I've heard of some very good prices that way.

I've also heard very good reports of Serenellini boxes (they used to make accordions for Saltarelle) particularly the "Cloud" model which you should be able to get hold of new for about €1600. Have a look at this website in England http://www.melodions-online.co.uk/, or contact Stephen Chambers in Ireland - jmcneill AT indigo DOT ie.

Here's a page with links to other European manufacturers: http://lgendrot.club.fr/marques/marques.htm

I realize this might be information overload but I think it's worth taking your time to examine all your options!

Cheers
Steve
Silvio Zapparoli

Post by Silvio Zapparoli »

The idea of StevieJ it's ok: if you contact directly the italian makers you save the money!
I had spend one years ago for my Saltarelle Irish Boebe C#D around $ 950.
If you want you can try contact this maker www.beltrami-accordions.com

Mr. Beltrami is a piano and button accordion maker but he can to sell other button accordion: Castagnari, Saltarelle and Baffetti.

If you are in USA you can try contact Karlitos Way (Beltrami's agent for USA).

Good luck!
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Thank you all again for the information. I'm looking here and there and found a C#/D by Bernard Loffet in e-bay. Still sound a bit expensive to me though, (at the moment I'm waiting a flute from Mr. Murray) but you bet that I'd kill for that box...!

I'll check Beltrami site Silvio. I'm actually much nearer from you, it's just Spain. I attended a flute workshop last month and although I had enjoyed box music for years, a session with an excellent Italian box player (Ricardo del Nonno I reckon) made me think seriously about the chance of starting a new instrument.

P.S. Steviej...you look like this actor... :P

Thank you lads
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Today I came across this: :o

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... otohosting

Can anybody tell me about Mr. Baffetti's boxes? Would you go for that?

Cheers!
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
Silvio Zapparoli

Sylvester wrote:Thank you all again for the information. I'm looking here and there and found a C#/D by Bernard Loffet in e-bay. Still sound a bit expensive to me though, (at the moment I'm waiting a flute from Mr. Murray) but you bet that I'd kill for that box...!

I'll check Beltrami site Silvio. I'm actually much nearer from you, it's just Spain. I attended a flute workshop last month and although I had enjoyed box music for years, a session with an excellent Italian box player (Ricardo del Nonno I reckon) made me think seriously about the chance of starting a new instrument.

P.S. Steviej...you look like this actor... :P

Thank you lads
Hi Sylvester! Do you know Riccardo? Great! Riccardo is one of my friend! He live in Rome and I in Parma... four hours by train!
I decided to learn the C#D when I meet the first time Riccardo.
I'm waiting for a new accordion model from Beltrami: walnut wood, 23 buttons, 8 bass, 3 voice, two bass stop... more or less Euro 1300.
I've see the Bernard Loffet on E-Bay, but the irish accordion have the flat keyboard and the Loffet model no. You can try to contact Riccardo because he is a Castagnari friend. Proabably you can get a good price.
The Baffetti model it's the same... probably have not the flat keyboard.
If is possible you try to buy directely in Italy: the prices it's very good!

All the best... Silvio
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

I actually couldn't speak to him, :sniffle: He was preparing a gig with his band and they were a bit busy playing the sets. there were few chances for a talk. On the other hand, they played a show case for a few of us attending the bar :) and his playing sounded superb to me. So I see he's to blame for manipulating people's minds so as to start playing the box...

I did meet Massimo though, we sat together in a session. He plays concertina beautifully.

Listen folks, should I turn down a stepped keyboard then? Has anybody else heard about Baffetti's? Does anybody have sound samples of them?

Cheerio
Rafa
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
Silvio Zapparoli

Sylvester wrote:I actually couldn't speak to him, :sniffle: He was preparing a gig with his band and they were a bit busy playing the sets. there were few chances for a talk. On the other hand, they played a show case for a few of us attending the bar :) and his playing sounded superb to me. So I see he's to blame for manipulating people's minds so as to start playing the box...

I did meet Massimo though, we sat together in a session. He plays concertina beautifully.

Listen folks, should I turn down a stepped keyboard then? Has anybody else heard about Baffetti's? Does anybody have sound samples of them?

Cheerio
Rafa
Massimo? Another great musician and nice man!!! :thumbsup:
He play concertina and banjo very well.
I'm happy for you... Isn't easy to meet musician how Massimo and Riccardo: good players, generouses and nices!