Photos of Taylor pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Me want Taylor pipes, me want them bad. Me want Sean's set...

me want them bad...UNK. :D
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Sean's Hennelly set is executed in Cuban Mahogany and the chanter of the set that started this thread out may also be Cuban Mahogany.

Pat Hennelly was the last pipemaker to be copying Taylor's pipemaking.
texasbagpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by texasbagpiper »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Me want Taylor pipes, me want them bad. Me want Sean's set...

me want them bad...UNK. :D
Sean would probably make you a deal if you did some household chores for him, rake leaves, clean out the gutter, sweep the porch, and maybe take out the trash...then he might give them to you.... :lol: :lol: :cry:
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Jim McGuire wrote:Sean's Hennelly set is executed in Cuban Mahogany and the chanter of the set that started this thread out may also be Cuban Mahogany.

Pat Hennelly was the last pipemaker to be copying Taylor's pipemaking.
And this would be the same Pat Hennelly who made the chanter which is currently on eBay ...

In the eBay auction, it's mentioned that the Hennelly chanter is stamped PH on both sides. Do you know if Pat Hennelly signed all his work like that?
PJ
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

No, Pat Hennelly definitely did not sign the sets that I have seen.
sean an piobaire

Post by sean an piobaire »

Taylor OR Tayloresque? That IS the Question.....I have seen several sets of Patrick Hennelly's Pipes, and there are certain features on my set, that diverge from his style of pipe making. I think somebody better post some pics of P. Hennelly UPs and you be the judge. I find that the shape of my regs, especialy on the spoke-shaved touches on the bottom of the regs, a small detail you say Hmmmm....Jim McGuire and I have gone around and gently around on this: points we agree on are 1. The chanter is not Taylor 2. Taylor sets never (?) used brass, so the tenor and baritone piggy-back tubing, point to another maker. 3. The Mother-of-Toilet-Seat pearloid on the Drone sliders point to P.H's manufacture. There was more of it, wrapped around the mainstock, that I removed, Damn me, it WAS ugly. Does this mean that Patrick made the whole set? Or did he REFURBISH this set? In Joe Shannon's opinion, P.H. DIDN'T make my set. Was Joe was probably trying to merely compliment me, or was he a disinterested party? Jim McGuire, bless his heart, did cheer me up with the idea that my set belonged to Tom Ennis, and that Ennis NEVER FULLY PAID P.H. for them! Jim suggested I contact the relatives to make restitution....Well how much was a P.H. set made for, in 1930's USD? I neither affirm, or deny, that my set is a Hennelly, merely a Taylor/Tayloresque......AND I stand on the 5th Amendment! ALL of this caviling aside....this set is sounding really good these days, I 've backed off the stiff reed pressure as I get older (I'm 56 now), AND I Don't CARE who made the set, as long as it sounds good. I do wish I had gone to Chicago in 1976 (when I bought it from Mickey Zekley), while Patrick was alive, and got the truth. I had been calling him on the phone on and off, for 2 years, 1st in 1973, when I published the UP PIPERS in the USA list, and the phone just rang and rang. Then in 1974, a disconnect message "at the customer's request". Oh well!
As for the opinions of pipers ABOUT THE SOUND of TAYLOR PIPES, I asked everybody in Ireland (circa 1973) about them and was told that they were "strident" but I noticed a feeling that most of these same pipers would give their LEFT TESTICLE in order to own a set. Irish Inverse Pride I think, as the Taylor Bros. were making these sets in YANKLAND- AMERICA- USA for the vaudeville stage where the C sets couldn't be heard in the last row of the house. Sorry you don't like them, guys, get a narrow bore and be quiet!
BIG BORE SEAN FOLSOM
(and in more ways than one, I AM a big bore, to those repressed,jealous individuals.....)
Last edited by sean an piobaire on Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

sean an piobaire wrote:(and in more ways than one, I AM a big bore, to those repressed,jealous individuals.....)
Big? Like diameter? Did you pass a basketball through your colon or somethin;? :boggle:
Next you'll be asked what "mother-of-toilet seat" is. Some kind of Freudian quagmire?
sean an piobaire

Post by sean an piobaire »

Big Bore calls BIG BORE "BIG"
Kevin (you of so many postings) Yes, I did open myself up to your BIG BORE comment, but would you care to elaborate on the historisity of my posting, like some pics of Patrick Hennelly pipes? Like Rick O'Shey's set and Joe Shannon's etc. etc. It's reckoned that P.H. only made a handful of sets, which kinda surprised me, as I think pipe makers "hit their stride" meaning their best work, only after quite a few sets have been made by them.
I know I can watch Homer Simpson on the Fox network any Sunday, but I have missed so many segments now........so Thanks for the Homer colonoscopy cartoon so I can get back into the swing of the thing!
Sean Mhor BORE an Piobaire
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Hey didn't think of the Homer cartoon being on topic...
I don't know, I've a picture of Rick's set, which he sold to Mike Dow, the bellows maker up in Maine. Rick told me Standeven said Martin Bierne wanted something indestructible, apparently he liked to throw the set at the bar when he was pissed (off!)! Martin made a few 78s of solo piping, I've heard one, a reel, the Grand Spy - good piper. Like a dumbass I passed on an offer to buy another 78 of him. I was surprised to hear a recording of the great Michael Coleman playing the same setting on the fiddle, too. And then a recording of Sean Maguire - same tune, I wonder if it's been transcribed. Fiddlers these days play another setting they call the Graf Spey - named after the mighty WWII German battleship! Original name of the tune was Grant's Strathspey...Grand Spy...Graff Spey...
Anyways Rick said that set's louder than bugger all too. 5/8 hole in the bass drone hockey puck. Brad Angus worked on another Hennelly from Chicago, I forget the owner's name - Victor? That set looked like an early effort, maybe - not so fine as Rick's looks, perhaps. It had some very old elder reeds - at least almost 30 years if Patrick made them - still buzzing away, and hardly any scraping on them either.
That's about all I know about it! Hennelly had some odd notions. Maybe Maguire has seen Paddy Lavin's pipes - I believe they're from his late brother Jim, and made by Mike Carney. Perhaps they look like your set somehow - which has Carney's name on it. Did you see the Carney chanter Maguire had? Kind of fancy in a way - little ornate bits.
Joseph E. Smith

I think this gif deals more with the hardening of the arteries.... whoops, did I type that out loud? :oops:
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

As Joe Shannon was mentioned, is there any information about what became of his pipes? Also, any photos of Joe and his pipes knocking around?

The interview with Joe Shannon, which can be found on D'Arcy's site, has a few tunes on the Taylor set including one solo (for anyone who wants to hear what a Taylor set sounds like).
PJ
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Here's a direct link to the article:

http://www.uilleannobsession.com/articl ... annon.html

The radio links page has the Céilí House tribute show to Joe and PJ Crotty. Just do a find on that page for Joe Shannon.

Patrick.

Post by 123454321 »

what does the bottom piece do?
irishpiper
Tell us something.: uyguyguyguygug;skdjvlsa fvla bnsldcv nasnc:sodv jcpoaenvpiseripsertnvpa epaoeunvasuepv; auenr;usaenrviusanrvueapr;gvoajneproivea[orivjae['oirvjnae['oirvnae'oirvnas'[oirvn'[aenv'[saepoirnv['soeirnv['sonv[oeirvn['oeirnv['oisenrv['oisernjv['oisenv[oiserntv[oisenjv[oisrjtb[oisrtj[bsirpotbosirnboisemfvo[sierfvmseoiv

Post by irishpiper »

My Patsy Brown Chanter with flute style keys...
Joseph E. Smith

Wow, that's funky. :D