Best tenor banjo tutor

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Best tenor banjo tutor

Post by Jayhawk »

I've been surfing the web looking at Irish tenor banjo tutors - the main two that come up are Gerry O'Connors and Sullys.

Any opinion on which is best or suggestions of better books?

Thanks,

Eric
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

Can't comment on O'Conners,but Sullys is quite good.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Sully writes some great tunes that is pretty much all I can say. I have been thinking of trading in the ol' mandolin for a Tenor but cant bring myself to do it.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Unseen122 wrote:Sully writes some great tunes that is pretty much all I can say. I have been thinking of trading in the ol' mandolin for a Tenor but cant bring myself to do it.
Nah-- keep your eye out for a used cheapie Tenor to try out first. I found one and kept it a year or 3 before I decided I really preferred my mando. Finally ended up selling the Tenor, and I don't regret it.

BTW-- if you're looking for tutors, look at mando books too since the two instruments are usually tuned the same. Not all technique is identical, but there are a LOT more mandolin books out there .
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

I personally liked the mad for trad banjo tutorials. I am definately not an expert on Tenor ...but the way the tutor is layed out was pretty good. Enough easy tunes..that gradully were made harder by adding the ornementations.....where are you from eric?
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

why talk of "trading in"? i would think the whole point is to do both, choosing which you play according to what sounds good to you at the moment and who else shows up to sessions...
meir
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

why talk of "trading in"? i would think the whole point is to do both, choosing which you play according to what sounds good to you at the moment and who else shows up to sessions...
meir
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

It's funny how different we all are with regard to which instrument we like best. I played mando in the past, but sold it on a garage sale because I knew I wanted a tenor banjo.

Eric
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

piperdoc wrote:why talk of "trading in"? i would think the whole point is to do both, choosing which you play according to what sounds good to you at the moment and who else shows up to sessions...
meir
Budget issues.
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by buddhu »

Unseen122 wrote:
piperdoc wrote:why talk of "trading in"? i would think the whole point is to do both, choosing which you play according to what sounds good to you at the moment and who else shows up to sessions...
meir
Budget issues.
Nope, doesn't wash as a reason. A mate of mine has just been out this lunchtime and spent £150 he doesn't have on a very collectable old Squier Telecaster. Now that's the spirit... :D

He's now trying to compose a believable story for the wife...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Darwin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Darwin »

buddhu wrote:
Unseen122 wrote:
meir
Budget issues.
Nope, doesn't wash as a reason. A mate of mine has just been out this lunchtime and spent £150 he doesn't have on a very collectable old Squier Telecaster. Now that's the spirit... :D

He's now trying to compose a believable story for the wife...
My father's trick with rifles, shotguns, and fishing rods was to hide them out in the garage for several months. Then, when my mother finally saw one and asked, "Is that a new gun?", he could truthfully say, "No, I've had that for a while."
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe