Help me understand banjos - 5 string vs. tenor!

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
livethe question
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by livethe question »

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but there is a book called Complete Book of Irish and Celtic 5-string Banjo by Tom Hanway that's put out by Mel Bay. I picked it up on ebay a while back but haven't done anything with it yet.

jim d
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Jim - thanks for the recommendation! You're the first so far.

Eric
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

if you have some mando experience and you found a tenor you like, thats clearly the way to go.
ask me how the 5 string is going in a year or so. i am hooked. i don't practice more than 10 min a day since i am mainly a piper. well, pipe learner anyway. i think both tenor and 5 string are really cool. and i had no past with mando, fiddle, or anything tuned in 5ths. so i decided on a fresh start.
good luck.
one more piece of advice. if someone tries to sell you a banjolin, think twice. i am told by people alot smarter than me that they are not as great as you would think they would be. i mention this because it is exactly your type (background in fiddle-mando tunings, appreciator of the banjo sound)

don't worry about the flute. i predict that when the novelty wears off you will continue with both instruments and end up even more well rounded.
meir
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Meir - I wouldn't touch a banjolin with a ten foot pole! Those double strings, so horrendous sounding to me unless they're perfectly in tune, are what drove me away from mandolin and kept be away from any other double string type of instrument. The tenor banjo is perfect with the 4 strings at GDAE and the slightly mellower tone is truly appreciated by my wife.

I'm loving the banjo, and I'm playing flute only slightly less than normal now. They really do reinforce each other. I have to really think about the notes on the banjo, but the banjo seems to have a built in rhythm/lift with the up downs that tranlates to a little more lift/lilt in my flute playing.

I'm glad you're enjoying 5 string banjo. What are you playing on it - bluegrass, old-timey, classical? I really like those, too, but one banjo at a time...

Eric
turtleneck
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by turtleneck »

Just a little clarification: Banjolins have 4 strings. Manolin-banjos have 8.

I was glad I had my mandolin-banjo when I went to a session that had 5 accordion players. The extra volume from the banjo head was just enough to be heard.
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

thanks for the correction regarding the various species of 4 course or 4 string banjos the size and tuning of a mandolin.
i am playing old time stuff on my 5 string right now. the most common key is D, very similar to alot of ITM. like you say, you can only do so much. i play pipes, as you may remember. takes up most of the practice time i have.

bluegrass is too complex, and not really a style that lends itself to solo banjo.

keep us posted how you are doing

meir
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

It is hard to keep all the various banjo types straight! Thanks turtleneck!

I'm having a blast. I've worked up Boys of Bluehill up to speed, but my jigs and reels are still way too slow. I need to remind myself to be patient...my current ability on the flute came about only after several years of playing so it'll take time to get the banjo up to speed. I also am not as good picking up the tunes by ear and am finding myself glancing at the dots which I try not to do. I think I'm at the point where getting the notes right and playing purely from memory is a little too difficult. Once my fingers automatically go to the right notes, I think life will be much better.

I tell you what, I'd forgotten what a pain the high B is! My pinkie had nearly atrophied since it's only action is for G# on the flute. :boggle:

Eric