Board operation question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
NancyF
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by NancyF »

Can you make new messages appear at the top of the topic list so you don't have to scroll down?
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

On 2001-06-27 11:17, NancyF wrote:
Can you make new messages appear at the top of the topic list so you don't have to scroll down?
It's <i>possible</i> (but anything's possible when you have the source code!) -- but the idea is that the conversation develops top to bottom, which is how we're used to reading. If you're re-reading a thread after each message posted, then the scrolling can get tiresome, but when you stop by the board hours later, being able to read down through the multiple new messages in a thread should seem more natural than having to scroll <i>up</i> one message at a time.

<ul>-Rich</ul>
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

Another question for you, Rich. Are there forward and back buttons that can appear so that we don't need to go back up to the topics before going to the next message?

Or does this exist already and I'm missing it?

Thanks,
Erik
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

There aren't -- and there isn't really a "forward" or "back" in topics, since the topic list always shows the most recently active one on top. (No more having to look through pages to find the one new post!)

What I've been doing is to go into a topic, read it, then use the "breadcrumbs" navigation at the top to go up one level, choose the next topic, and so on.

<ul>-Rich</ul>
clark
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

"Breadcrumbs?" What's that?
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

"Breadcrumbs" are the things at the top that let you get back to the top level the same way you came in, where it says something like

Chiff and Fipple >> Whistle Forum >> This Topic

and each are a link. Think Hansel and Gretel. :smile:
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Rich,

So within a single topic there's no threading - you just reply to "the topic" as such, rather than to an individual post?

Not a problem, just wanted to see if I'd missed something... :smile:

Jens
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

In addition to what was called the 'breadcrumbs' method of returning, if you've not posted a reply to the topic you can just hit your browser's 'back' button to return to the topic list.
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

On 2001-06-28 04:56, Jens_Hoppe wrote:

So within a single topic there's no threading - you just reply to "the topic" as such, rather than to an individual post?
Yep, exactly -- although you can quote a particular post like I did here with the "quote" icon below it.
<ul>-Rich</ul>