Here's some real fusion for you.

Formerly North-Indian Global-Zombie-Trance Jazz, Barbershop-Darbhanga Fusion, Rai-Ska Outlaw Country Operetta , Neurofunk Madrigal Throat Singing, Freestyle Acid House Flamenco, Twelve Tone Boy Groups, Dark Ambient Ragtime Fusion, Klezmer Surf Trance; Gregorian Chant/Bluegrass; Andean-Reggae Black Metal for Lapsed Lutherans; Chinese Opera-Mississippi Delta Blues; Alpine Yodeling-Samba Fusion; and Mariachi-Polka Waltz-Punk Forum
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Here's some real fusion for you.

Post by Dale »

A favorite band of mine:

Dread Zeppelin.

I'm not making this up.

It's a reggae cover band. They do Led Zeppelin songs, reggae style. The lead singer is a very fine Elvis personator. So, it's mostly Led Zep songs, reggae style, with a vocalist that sounds exactly like Elvis.

Try to get this in your head:

boom chicka boom chick
boom chicka boom chick

If it keeps on rainin' the levee's gonna break.

You know that levee's gonna break, Baby.

http://www.dreadzeppelin.com/

Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I should also suggest one Richard Cheese. He does the most inappropriate songs in a lounge music style. I especially enjoyed "Fight for Your Right (To Party)" and "Suck My Kiss."

Here's the album I heard.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

Also interesting is <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... usic">Dead Grass</a>, which does Bluegrass covers of Greatful Dead songs
and <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... d/Dixie</a>, which does Bluegrass covers of AC/DC songs (among others)
missy

Post by missy »

Two friends of mine were hired to play a University of Tennessee alumni function. They were billed as the TN. Mountain Boys (one lives in Pigeon Forge, and one lives further east in a holler that doesn't have a name).

Anyway, after the, oh, 200th request or so to play "Rocky Top" - they decided to play "Reggae Top" instead. It was a riot (they played it for us on a mountain top in Cosby TN, at about 2 in the morning, which may have also added to the goofiness of the song).

Needless to say, they were NOT invited to play at another function..... :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

There's a bluegrass version of the entire Pink Floyd "The Wall" album.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

DaleWisely wrote:There's a bluegrass version of the entire Pink Floyd "The Wall" album.
You tease! Gimme a link... I must have it!
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

fearfaoin wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:There's a bluegrass version of the entire Pink Floyd "The Wall" album.
You tease! Gimme a link... I must have it!
"Bluegrass" is not an accurate description of this band's sound. It's how rock journalists describe anything played on accoustic instruments which includes either a banjo or certain types of fiddle.

Luther Wright has a banjo. It's played in something closer to clawhammer style rather than in the driving bluegrass manner. There are no mandolins in the mix, and none of the other bluegrass traits.

Rebuild the wall is country rock.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

"Red on Blonde", Tim O'Brien's album of grassed-up Dylan songs is the best bluegrass take on anything in the rock canon, although I also have a remarkable record of Jim & Jesse McReynolds covering Chuck Berry standards--all the familiar Chuck Berry riffs played on banjo and cross-picked mandolin.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

This kind of reminds me of last years April fools joke that was a fake John Coltrane on Whistle album. Only these are real. I have always wanted to start a band of classic rock songs done in Irish style.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

The best version of "that way-overplayed Titanic song" is the surfed-up version played by Los Straitjackets. 8)
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

Then there's Hogscraper, "the world's greatest Satanic Bluegrass Punk band."
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

dread Zeppelin is Brilliant! Their take on Ramble On is very good piece of music, all parody aside.

On the Bluegrass front, my brother-in-law has a disk called "Pickin on U2." Only one or two of the tracks have a real bluegrass flavor, but they are pretty good.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

BrassBlower wrote:The best version of "that way-overplayed Titanic song" is the surfed-up version played by Los Straitjackets. 8)
You say that because you've never heard me play it on the slide whistle or the nose flute. I forgive you.

T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Unseen122 wrote: .......
I have always wanted to start a band of classic rock songs done in Irish style.
That would end up sounding Eastern Mediterranean folk.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit