hell-bent A peg.

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
emmline
antispam: No

hell-bent A peg.

Post by emmline »

It so likes to pop out unexpectedly. I think the crazy thing is possessed. Actually, it's been vastly better since I got the fiddle all fixed up at the violin shop in Baltimore, but if somethings going to pop, it's the A.

Anyone had experience with peg drops? I have some as a last resort. Haven't tried it yet though.

Re: hell-bent A peg.

Post by Guest »

emmline wrote:It so likes to pop out unexpectedly. I think the crazy thing is possessed. Actually, it's been vastly better since I got the fiddle all fixed up at the violin shop in Baltimore, but if somethings going to pop, it's the A.

Anyone had experience with peg drops? I have some as a last resort. Haven't tried it yet though.
Only if your fiddle is not an expensive model, then you can coil the A string right up against the 'cheek' of the pegbox on the A tuner Button side. That will stop it from ever again popping out -because it cannot pop anywhere being stopped by the A string coils against the..... and the rest.

OTOH if you have an expensive fiddle then having a Luther ream out the holes in the pegbox so that the newpeg you agreed to install is a snug fit - would also fix the problem

OTOH you could just mark the surface of the peg with some pencil lead thereby lubricating it enough so that it then the more grips the pegbox hole/s in which it should be snugly fitting.
Darwin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Darwin »

toasty wrote:OTOH you could just mark the surface of the peg with some pencil lead thereby lubricating it enough so that it then the more grips the pegbox hole/s in which it should be snugly fitting.
That's interesting. I was on the verge of suggesting a little rosin on the peg--wouldn't never have thought of graphite.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

I would have used the rosin for a quick fix as well. I think a quick wipe of the peg with bow might help.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
missy

Post by missy »

sometimes a few drops of water on the peg will help "swell" it to help it hold tune.
Make sure you've got enough of the string wrapped around the peg so it's not slipping.

Many older or "traditional" looking dulcimers are made with wooden tuners. Unfortunately, they aren't of the same quality as those found on fiddles, and there are usually no fine tuners installed. I've tried the above as emergency fixes - but I usually recommend if someone wants to play the instrument a lot, and it's not of historical importance, that they have it converted to geared tuners.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

emmline wrote:It so likes to pop out unexpectedly. I think the crazy thing is possessed. Actually, it's been vastly better since I got the fiddle all fixed up at the violin shop in Baltimore, but if somethings going to pop, it's the A.

The peg drops work, but use them sparingly, because they can lock up a peg if used too liberally. Try one drop, on the exact area of the peg that makes contact with the pegbox while you have it pulled out, and work it in by turning the peg after you put the drop on it. Or, alterenately, (maybe even better) you may just follow the directions that came with the drops, instead!

There is a peg compound that works as well, that you just rub on the peg.

If it still gives you trouble, take it back to the repairman, and tell him the peg isn't holding. It's possible he needs to refit it a little.

By the way, have you ever listened to the fiddler Bonnie Rideout (American born, tutored in Scotland)? She plays a wicked fiddle and viola, and I'm tempted to take up the viola from her playing alone. Great stuff!
~~~~
Barry
John O'Gara

Post by John O'Gara »

Emmline:

For a better grip I've always used a little common blackboard chalk on the peg where it contacts the pegbox on both sides. You can also use darker colors if you don't like white marks on the pegs.