There's a mention in Wikipedia

Formerly North-Indian Global-Zombie-Trance Jazz, Barbershop-Darbhanga Fusion, Rai-Ska Outlaw Country Operetta , Neurofunk Madrigal Throat Singing, Freestyle Acid House Flamenco, Twelve Tone Boy Groups, Dark Ambient Ragtime Fusion, Klezmer Surf Trance; Gregorian Chant/Bluegrass; Andean-Reggae Black Metal for Lapsed Lutherans; Chinese Opera-Mississippi Delta Blues; Alpine Yodeling-Samba Fusion; and Mariachi-Polka Waltz-Punk Forum
jsluder
antispam: No

There's a mention in Wikipedia

Post by jsluder »

From Wikipedia (emphasis added):
Bavaria has been part of the Alpine New Wave of folk music alongside Switzerland and Austria. Drawing on pioneers like Biermösl Blosn, musicians from Munich and other cities have fused Bavarian folk with foreign genres and instruments, especially BavaRio's Brazilian samba fusion.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Well, this is really fascinating! I am distraught that I have not been able to find a clip of their music. I found an article about them on a Tunisian website but the translation was not very helpful.

I thought Dale made this up. But given the Empress Leopoldine connection and now this, I'm starting to think there is more here than meets the eye :o . I have not given up on trying to find something by BavaRio--- I just have to hear Bavarian folk fused with Brazilian samba. I mean, what could it possibly be like?
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Oh, what the heck.

"BAVARIO" WITH THE MUNICIPAL SUCCESS
Against the borders, the Music...

Thanks to the initiative of the Municipality of Tunis and that of the Goethe-Institute, the German musical group "BavaRio" occurred saturdays November 20 with the Municipal Theatre of the town of Tunis. It was an invitation open to all the amateurs of the German culture but also to all those which have the love of the Music and the availability of opening on the Other... Qualities likely to join the four ends of the world.
As its name indicates it ("Dribble-Rio)", this group is composed artists, ambassadors of two different cultures. Germany and Brazil. First is represented by Wolfgang Netzer, the type-setter of "BavaRio" which plays "Cavaquinho", guitars and percussion, Martin Kerber handling the zither, the accordion, the trumpet and the horn, Andreas Kerber playing to him, with the guitars, flutes, sax, horn, clarinets and accordion. As for the second cultural shutter, it is represented by Marcio Alves, Brésilien of birth, it plays the percussions and drums. But it also sometimes happens to him to sing... And it was the piece with which one inaugurated the spectacle...
A two hour old spectacle and which was baptized "Baraba". It is also the title of the fourth and last CD of the group which one drew the concert. This title, with a little odd sonority, is a dialectal term which is used to designate a foreigner. It is also a pun copulating "berber" and "araber", the German equivalent of "arabe ".
They are here elements which direct, already, on the style and the musical bias of the group. Especially if the fact is added to them that the founder of the group, Wolfgang Netzer, made a stay with Istambul and was influenced by his Eastern melodies.
Thanks to various kinds of musical instruments which, more is, miss neither of picturesque nor of originality compared to the instruments that we are accustomed to see, "BavaRio" carried out several pieces. To know: "Hundling" (dialectal term which wants to say a man worthy of respect"), "Vui Schlange" (literally: many snakes), a rather special piece with its melody "crawling" and consequently very suggestive. And it is a piece which goes back to a stay of Netzar with Istambul besides...
One also carried out "Alpeuwalzer", the waltz of the Alps, a piece which is based especially on the music produced by an enormous instrument with "Fünfal" (literally five times), we have of a changed blow of course, to appreciate the Arab music associated with the melodies which are foreign for him. It is the product of the drive of Walfgang on the oud in Turkey...
"Maracatu" takes us along, as for him, to Africa, that of 1538, when the slaves of Africa unload in Récife, in Brazil, and that little by little settle in the country and a process of opening and enrichment of the cultures, the Maracatu rate/rhythm becomes the ceremony of the crowning of a King or a queen...
And it was a very beautiful spectacle summons some which knew to grow rich thanks to its opening on the musics by the world... By Germany in Brazil, of the East in Africa, the correspondences are tasty and harmonious but especially, the voyage is possible and licence. The best of the voyages!
It is perhaps incredible, but it should have been listened to to judge by oneself the facility and the delight of such a music, of so much of voyages...

Asma GUEZMIR
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... _qdr%3Dall
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cynth wrote:Well, this is really fascinating! I am distraught that I have not been able to find a clip of their music. I found an article about them on a Tunisian website but the translation was not very helpful.
Ah. Let Lambchop assist with this . . . www.amazon.com. A search for "Bavario" in "popular music" revealed Baraba. Clips available about halfway down on the page. If you choose the Amazon sound sampler, it will cycle through all of them.
Cynth wrote:I have not given up on trying to find something by BavaRio--- I just have to hear Bavarian folk fused with Brazilian samba. I mean, what could it possibly be like?
It's quite charming. Really. "Heidi Plays the Marimba." "The Hills are Alive with the Sound of Maracas." "Fejoada is One of My Favorite Things."

And somewhere in there, very faintly, is the hint that someone has a Middle Easterner hidden in his gene pool . . .

Think of a ballroom dancing competition in which the sleek Latin lovers disappear offstage to re-emerge costumed as Bavarian children, dancing a repressed sort of samba while tossing Ricola to the audience.

There is that sultry South American preoccupation with semi-naked, painted and gleaming bodies dancing in the street, fused with that prim and dainty Alpine lederhosen fascination with edelweiss.

And yes--I know you were waiting for this--there IS yodeling. Which may be the only reason I'm not rushing to purchase this CD . . .

Here, let me give you a review of a few tracks . . . to whet your appetite:

Baraba . . . Brazilian beer-garden polka. A light and amusing evening in a steamy emigre venue . . .

Staade Zeit . . . Sultry South American playing guitar beneath the chalet window of his love, pipe-smoking locals making bets on how long he'll last before frostbite sets in.

Paralelepipido . . . A troupe of Bavarian lambs dance a somewhat overly frisky samba.

Vui Schlanga . . . Inspector Clouseau, disguised for Carnivale, pursues arch-criminals on a ski lift.

Hos'Ndiarl . . . Klezmer on Ice.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: Gosh, Lamby you are a genius! I never would have thought of looking at Amazon.com. They sounded so strange.
Thanks alot. Now we will have to find some new aspect of Alpine Yodeling-Samba Fusion to investigate.
I think Alpine New Wave is quite interesting. They have some very strange record jackets.

I did actually like quite a bit of BavaRio's music---I think, on the whole, I like the fusion better than the pure Bavarian.
The yodeling didn't seem very fused somehow but it certainly reminded us of their roots in the Alps of uh Germany?
But I'm thinking I may need to review samba music. This whole thing has really gotten me a bit confused. If you
click on the picture I think it is the piece called "Scharr" that plays. It's good.
Should we get samba outfits? I'm not sure about Alpine Samba outfits. An Alpine outfit would probably suit my "build" better. :lol:
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cynth wrote::lol: Gosh, Lamby you are a genius!
No, no, not a genius . . . just a wise shopper . . . :oops:
I never would have thought of looking at Amazon.com. They sounded so strange.
No, not strange at all. Amazon.com is just a very good place to check out merchandise before you buy.
The yodeling didn't seem very fused somehow but it certainly reminded us of their roots in the Alps of uh Germany?
Perhaps our Swiss friend, Amar, could give us a geography lesson? Wonder where he is? Must be keeping company with another website . . .
But I'm thinking I may need to review samba music. This whole thing has really gotten me a bit confused.
Perhaps an online curriculum . . . but wait! Dale has changed our focus yet again! (Check the forum title!)

I've been working on a samba outfit. One with a lot of lycra. And a Carmen Miranda hat. But I see I may need to change pants in midstream.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

To tell you the truth, I think I will look better in a Chinese opera costume.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I'm not sure if I would be comfortable all constrained like that. Besides, I'm halfway done with my samba hat.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Denny

Post by Denny »

Lamby, that was very nicely done!
Denny

Post by Denny »

Cynth, ya gotta learn to hide them long urls...the scrolling is a pain.

like this:
Cynth wrote:Asma GUEZMIR
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Denny wrote:Lamby, that was very nicely done!

Thank you. :wink:

I'm working on the gold body paint right now . . .
Cotelette d'Agneau
Denny

Post by Denny »

Lambchop wrote:
Denny wrote:Lamby, that was very nicely done!

Thank you. :wink:

I'm working on the gold body paint right now . . .
I didn't need to know that... :o
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Denny, I clicked on the cartouche and I see how you hid the long URL. I think I forgot about that. It is certainly elegant. I will try to find an occasion to hide one soon. :lol:

Lamby, I can't wait to see your samba outfit! I don't know if I should hold off on my Chinese opera costume until I know if this CO-MDBF thing is just a passing fancy with Dale, or if I should get started. It's not like it's easy to make a whole opera costume! We could be a whole couple of fusions down the road before I finish it.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Yep...you can show most anything in the betweens...
All of the space shots I've done have the picture's page as the link for the picture.

Speeking of pictures...Lamby...we're waiting.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Waiting? Waiting for what?

I posted my samba costume! My avatar is wearing it! :-?

It's a Bavarian lamb with a samba hat.

The gold body paint, unfortunately, threatened to gum up my fleece, so those plans were abandoned in favor of a long soak in bubble dip.
Cotelette d'Agneau