Accordion dealers in GB

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
Les Cruttenden

Accordion dealers in GB

Post by Les Cruttenden »

Have been searching for some accordion dealers in GB but am not particularly good at this searching game....I need a selection to get the best deal i can...am looking for a 72 bass good quality but not too expensive accordian...any help appreciated. I myself live in Kent. Les.
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Hi Les.

I'd have said that a Hobgoblin shop is a good bet, but the nearest to you are in London and Crawley (the Crawley shop claims to have one Karen Tweed on its sales staff - the beautiful Tweed - if she can't help nobody can!!). If the Wadebridge shop (the one nearest to me) is anything to go by you'll find helpful staff and no pressure, and a reasonable range of accordions that you can play around with (not that I'd know what a "reasonable range of accordions" was!!)

Cheers

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
treeshark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by treeshark »

Hobbgoblin arrgh.
Go to Allodi Accordians 143 145 Lee High Rd.
0208 244 3771
Easy fron Kent
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

treeshark wrote:Hobbgoblin arrgh.
Go to Allodi Accordians 143 145 Lee High Rd.
0208 244 3771
Easy fron Kent
Good grief. I lived on Lee High Road for three weeks in the early 70s! :o

Steve

Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Hi Les,

did you buy anything yet?

If not, I'd suggest you ask on Melodeons.net, they should be able to point you to a few dealers who will give better deals than Hobgoblin.

That said, Hobgob were very good to take back at full price the B/C Scarletti button box I had, and let me walk off with a D/G Castagnari Lilly, which is proving much more suited to my needs, and I've had it less than a week.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

SteveShaw wrote:Good grief. I lived on Lee High Road for three weeks in the early 70s! :o Steve
You could easily miss it. It has that look as if it perhaps never opens. I used to peer through the window looking at piano accordians the size of busses toying with the idea of learning. Never did tho as fluty things took over...
Rob
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Martin Milner wrote:Hi Les,

did you buy anything yet?

If not, I'd suggest you ask on Melodeons.net, they should be able to point you to a few dealers who will give better deals than Hobgoblin.

That said, Hobgob were very good to take back at full price the B/C Scarletti button box I had, and let me walk off with a D/G Castagnari Lilly, which is proving much more suited to my needs, and I've had it less than a week.
Gosh, I did a very similar thing a few years ago but a bit down-market. I bought a Double Ray B/C from Mallinson's Music as it was then, and they let me swap it for an Erica D/G (I did lose out slightly financially but not much). I still can't play it though!

Steve

Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Shame on you Steve!

I've only had mine a week, and yesterday I knocked out a couple of tunes with my local group, in preparation for our big event next Sunday. Slow tunes, 'tis true, but I managed them!

Les,

in case you haven't bought one yet, a local friend offered me a piano accordion on Sunday, for about £150.00. He doesn't play himself but has acquired one (I forget how). I have no idea what the make is (I didn't actually see it), but he says it's in good condition.

If you're interested, I can put you in direct email contact, or if you prefer, act as an intermediary and take a few pictures etc for you.

Also, try trawling on eBay, there are second hand bargains to be snapped up, if you know your stuff.
Les Cruttenden

got my accordion!

Post by Les Cruttenden »

thanks all...have now got my accordion....in a rash moment.....I do have rather a lot of these.......I bought a Pigini....cost my credit card rather a lot...and at my age i might never get it paid off.....but in the mean time I am pursuing a course on Irish Trad by Karen Tweed......a C D ....much of what i learned on the accordion many many years ago is coming back....the mathmatical formula for chords that I learnt is just so useful on the accordion...any series of notes and chords is repeated time and again in the bass section.....e g what one can do in G, for example, one can simply move up the shapes and do it in any key one likes...great....Karen Tweeds course is O K for me...I shall never play as good as her but can apply the tips she gives.....and she will never be as pretty as me...or did i get that round the wrong way! thanks, all the best Les.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Excellent News, Les!

I have a friend in London who plays fantastic ITM on a piano accordion, Conan McDonnell. Not sure what is box is, but he plays it like he's ringing a bell!
Les Cruttenden

Progress Report.

Post by Les Cruttenden »

I am sure i have a long way to go yet, but...today i played a polka, got a really good rythm going and though i say it myself, i was quite impressed...really let myself go and relaxed....then I did fair justice to a jig...and found managing the ornamentation in a reel so much better than i have so far achieved on the whistle...cant wait to get in the garage again tomorrow...its where i practice...love it Les.