07/28/05 SeamusEnnis'Jig, WillieColeman'sJig, TheShepherdess

No. Not about haircuts. Discussion forum for the Clips and Snips tune archive.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

07/28/05 SeamusEnnis'Jig, WillieColeman'sJig, TheShepherdess

Post by TonyHiggins »

07/28/05 Teri Kessler sends: " Seamus Ennis' Jig on a dry, one-voice setting. If anyone has a bit of history on this tune, I'd appreciate the info. I know Molloy recorded it, but wonder if there's one of Ennis playing the tune. (concertina; saved in non-whistle)

Tony Higgins posts Willie Coleman's Jig (slowed down from the last time I posted it) and The Shepherdess, a jig that might be Scottish.
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Re: 07/28/05 SeamusEnnis'Jig, WillieColeman'sJig, TheShepher

Post by StevieJ »

TonyHiggins wrote:07/28/05 Teri Kessler sends: " Seamus Ennis' Jig on a dry, one-voice setting. If anyone has a bit of history on this tune, I'd appreciate the info. I know Molloy recorded it, but wonder if there's one of Ennis playing the tune. (concertina; saved in non-whistle).
Seems there have been some interesting developments in the concertina out there on the West Coast that the rest of the world doesn't know about. Tony, tell us more!

The first part of the tune is pretty much the same as a jig called the Hare in the Corn that Paddy Glackin recorded a generation ago and which I believe he got from John Doherty. That tune is played in D and has a completely different second part.
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

Thanks, Steve. When I was learning Ennis, my head kept hearing Hare and I had to fight to keep my fingers from going there. I'd like to put the two together in a set, but have been in a dilema as to the key differences. The transition isn't bad, really, but I'd like something smoother. Possibly sticking Woods of Old Limerick between them, and changing to "D" on the last repeat? I could always put Humours of Drinagh at the end for good measure :P
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Good stuff Teri! I also find it amazing how your concertina sounds like an accordeon, must be those chinese concertinas :D
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

Azalin wrote:Good stuff Teri! I also find it amazing how your concertina sounds like an accordeon, must be those chinese concertinas :D
Thanks, Az. It could also be those French boxes :wink:

Also, thanks to Peter - Ennis did record the jig on "Best of Irish Pipering", with the Fox Chase.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Azalin wrote:Good stuff Teri! I also find it amazing how your concertina sounds like an accordeon, must be those chinese concertinas :D
No AZ you only think you play the concertina because it looks like one. It's all accordeon reeds on the inside though :D .

Gus has upgraded to a beautiful Crabb, wanna buy the old Lachenal and get a real concertina? :twisted:
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Peter Laban wrote:
No AZ you only think you play the concertina because it looks like one. It's all accordeon reeds on the inside though :D .

Gus has upgraded to a beautiful Crabb, wanna buy the old Lachenal and get a real concertina? :twisted:
Peter, you're so evil. I found my concertina much more responsive than the lachenal, even if it sounds like a darn box. I guess I'll have to think about some ways to make money, and get some real concertina reeds :sniffle:
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Couldn't resist.

The is not too bad compared to some of the same type but we did replace it because Gus needed a faster one to pull off all those rolls and cranns Noel Hill has him practicing.

We recently sat down in a room with a dozen or so concertinas and picked the best in our price range ('let's get this one' said Gus pointing at the 8K Jeffries) andpicked the Crabb which is just lovely. The Jones' in the same price range looked nice and didn't sound bad either but they weren't any faster than the Lachenal. A beautiful Wheatstone was just snatched from under our noses though. Anyway the point of this is, we compared sounds of the lot and if you'd hear the one we got you'd never touch an accordeon reeded one again because they just don't sound like concertinas.
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Now it's dawning on me why Az is forever heaping opprobrium (OK, sh*t) on boxes and box players. He's not really sure he isn't one himself, deep, deep inside.... :evil:
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Yeah, I really, really want a concertina reeded tina one day. Was looking at the Dipper, it's like 6-7 years waiting list, and thousands of bucks! I think the one good thing about the Edgley I got is it's very responsive, and compares to some of the top of the line concertinas in term of responsiveness. I will sadly have to sound like a box player for a few years before I can get an upgrade.

Peter, you know what concertina Edel is playing?
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

She has a Jeffries now. Her old Wheatstone was among the batch we were going through, Gus liked the idea of having that as she was playing that when she started him off a few years ago.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Seems there have been some interesting developments in the concertina out there on the West Coast that the rest of the world doesn't know about. Tony, tell us more!
:x Geez, cut me some slack, Steve. People tell me things. What am I supposed to do? Tell them they lie in a bold-faced manner?? I've been known to call jigs reels and reels jigs in a haze of confusion. And the occasional post, I can't tell the difference. If Teri says it's 'Seamus Ennis' Jig,' by god, that's what it is. Be like the palm, for pete's sake.
Tony :lol:
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

TonyHiggins wrote:
:x Geez, cut me some slack, Steve. People tell me things. What am I supposed to do? Tell them they lie in a bold-faced manner?? I've been known to call jigs reels and reels jigs in a haze of confusion. And the occasional post, I can't tell the difference. If Teri says it's 'Seamus Ennis' Jig,' by god, that's what it is. Be like the palm, for pete's sake.
Tony :lol:
Tony, don't get mad at Steve, he's not the same since he started playing the box. An evil instrument always brings out the evil in you, not his fault.
StevieJ

Post by StevieJ »

TonyHiggins wrote::x Geez, cut me some slack, Steve. People tell me things.
Teri told you she was playing a concertina on that clip?
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Teri told you she was playing a concertina on that clip?
No, she didn't. Her email is quoted in the newspage verbatim. I guess she thought it was obvious. At this point, I don't know what the hell she was playing. That long discussion above didn't illuminate much for me. Sounded like some kind of freakish accordian/concertina/whathaveyou obsessive acquisition disorder group therapy discussion.
a dry, one-voice setting
I guess that explains everything.
Tony :boggle: