Ireland, Dublin

Chiff and Fipple in your hometown.
pizak
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ireland, Dublin

Post by pizak »

Hi

I don't have much to offer - I've noticed that there are some Comhaltas sessions in and around Dublin. There are certainly a number of pubs that offer "sessions" every night - not sure I trust these without some validation.

I'm looking for a friendly session I can join in as well as listening and enjoying the locals.

Paul
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

I found the sessions at Hughes' to be very welcoming and friendly. I think I went there on Tuesday and Monday. I hear they have sessions every night, though.

Justine
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

The Cobblestone is just around the corner from Hughes and also has tons of session and concerts. Kevin Rowsome plays there every Sunday at 1pm.
dublingirl

Post by dublingirl »

A good session also is at Rosie O'Grady's pub in Harolds Cross, every Thursday night from about 9.30pm on till late. The session is held upstairs in the pub. They give out a list of tunes on the night, so you'll know what tunes they'll be playing at that session.
billh

Ireland, County Dublin, Skerries

Post by billh »

Friday nights at Dunne' n( on the Balbriggan Road) in Skerries there's an informal session from 10 (read 10:15 or so) til laaate. Generally 6 to 8 musicians but sometimes more, occasionally less.

There's a Tuesday night session in Joe May's pub that's quite small and local - good if you like Donegal tunes particularly, as they tend to crop up there quite often.

Should we have a separate thread for County Dublin, i.e. Fingal, as opposed to the "Ireland,Dublin" thread? Dublin city centre is 40 minutes drive from here if there's no traffic...

[edited to say the Skerries Friday night session that used to be at the Pier House has moved to Dunne's pub. But not tomorrow night of course, it being Good Friday and one of only two opportunities of the year to 'not get a drink']
Last edited by billh on Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

hi bill :)

is the thursday night sesiun still on in the pub across the road from your house(cant remember the name of it???)
and is there sesiuns happening in seamus ennis centre(i heard something about a slow sesiun?)?
connor :wink:
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
billh

Post by billh »

flanum wrote:hi bill :)

is the thursday night sesiun still on in the pub across the road from your house(cant remember the name of it???)
and is there sesiuns happening in seamus ennis centre(i heard something about a slow sesiun?)?
connor :wink:
The Neelon's Thursday session seems to have morped into a Wednesday night ballad session. That venue changes its mind about every two months I think.

I think there are slow sessiuns in the SE Centre on a semi-regular basis, but during the summer months things could be changed around a bit. Seamas Ennis Cultural Centre +353 (0) 1 8020898. There is a session every Sunday afternoon normally at 3-ish onwards - sometimes preceded by either a 'Clanntrai' or 'Piper in the Parlour' series informal recital.

Bill
Eivind

Devitt's, Camden Str.

Post by Eivind »

I found a nice and informal concert/session in Devitt's on Camden Street a saturday a couple of weeks ago.
I went there because Desi Seery (himself) recommended the place, so apparently there should be things going on there on a regular basis.

FWIW;
Eivind
Roger O'Keeffe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Ireland, County Dublin, Skerries

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

billh wrote:
Should we have a separate thread for County Dublin, i.e. Fingal, as opposed to the "Ireland,Dublin" thread? Dublin city centre is 40 minutes drive from here if there's no traffic...
I'd be inclined to stick with a single greater Dublin thread, as it's more likely to be of use to non-Irish prospective visitors that way. Admittedly that could arguably include places like Mullingar and Athy, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it (or whenever it finally gets built :D ).
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

The Ferryman down the South Quays (i think its the sir john rogerson quay).
Sunday afternoons i think about 3-ish.

It actually starts at 1:30

There is also a sesh there on sat nights as well.
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Flauta dolce

Kiely's (side entrance) in Donnybrook

Post by Flauta dolce »

Kiely's (side entrance) in Donnybrook at 9pm on Thursday (Dublin 4). It is open, run by a few paid musicians from Comhaltas (Monkstown).

This is a nice session.
Flauta dolce

The Royal Oak, Kilmanham

Post by Flauta dolce »

The Royal Oak (Kilmanham) beside the Garda Station. The session starts from nine.
This is an open session, run by unpaid musicians.

It has been running for the last few months now very successfully.
Irish Rover

Post by Irish Rover »

Hi everyone, I have just taken up the whistle again after a long absence! does anyone have up-to-date information about sessions around Dublin that I could join in?
Many thanks
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Irish Rover wrote:Hi everyone, I have just taken up the whistle again after a long absence! does anyone have up-to-date information about sessions around Dublin that I could join in?
Many thanks
Yes, please. Even if I can't join, I'd really like a chance to listen while I'm there late next Spring.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
kirikee

Sessions in Dublin (and Ireland in general)

Post by kirikee »

This thread is a bit neglected so I thought I'd post two links to other sites that may be of some use:

http://www.thesession.org/sessions/
I'd use the Search tab to help narrow the listings down to a session in your area.

http://www.thejmi.com/events
This page has listings of all kinds of music throughout Ireland; there are drop down menu's near the top where you can select the
Location and Type of the gig / session.

(Whoops - just realised the above links may more properly belong in one of the Sticky threads, sorry!)

On Comhaltas: in the Monkstown HQ in Belgrave Sq. there's a "slow" session on Tuesdays, and other regular sessions on Wednesday's and Friday's too. They start at about 9.30pm. They tend to use sets from the Comhaltas "Foinn Sessiun" books (I think these are usually available for sale at the bar & there are CDs too).
On Tuesdays a lot of people sight read from the books; they sometimes play newer sets quite slowly at the start of the session, but the tempo may get a little faster as the evening progresses. May be handy if you're a beginner and can read staff notation.
Visit this page for details of the Tuesday session: http://comhaltas.ie/events/detail/moderate_session/