Childress, Lambe or Gallagher Pipes?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ailin
antispam: No

Post by Ailin »

I have narrowed it down to one of three makers. I am looking to obtain either a Childress, Lambe or Gallagher 1/2 set in concert D. If anyone has had experience with any of these, I am looking for experienced information re: intonation, quality versus cost, high/low maintenance, reeds, etc.
All makers have their pluses and minuses, so what I am looking for is what might be significant in choosing one over the other.
I know, just like trying to choose between a Burke, Sindt or Oak whistle, it's a matter of personal preference, and there may not really be an answer other than just going with what I like in the sound of the pipes themselves. I currently have a Daye practice set that I very much like, but it's time to take the ultimate WhOA plunge!

Thanks,
Ailin
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

Have you considered Kirk Lynch? I have both a Kirk Lynch half set and a Gallager C practice set and I consider Kirk's sets right up there with the best.
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

I've played both a Gallagher half set and a Childress full set. The Gallagher was nice and in tune, though I thought it a bit louder than expected. The Childress set was an absolute beauty to look at but if I thought the Gallagher set was loud...MAN!

On Bruce's set, it seemed the volume between the chanter and the drones was not balanced well. At least to my novice ear. The most mellow set I've heard to date is a Quinn half set.

How do you like your Daye set?

Bri~
Celt_Music

Post by Celt_Music »

I'm about 2 weeks away from taking delivery on a Gallagher D starter set. I've only been waiting a year, so I consider myself fortunate! I'll let ya know how it goes. At this moment the pipes are smarter than I am, but hopefully my hours on the Burke will help to have prepared me!

Slainte!
Ailin

Post by Ailin »

Celt Music,
Do you have that Gallagher set yet? If so, and you can tear yourself away from it long enough for a post or an e-mail, I'd like to hear about it!

Ailin
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I've owned a Childress half set for several months now and can agree it's an extremely well made instrument. Probably one of the best values in pipes to be found from any maker in the US. The chanter is a bit on the loud side but not out of balance with the drones. You can easily adjust the reed to play at a lower volume if desired. I was also able to use a reed from another maker and it plays well with no modification.
Childress has a wait schedule just over a year now for sets and upgrades.
Gallagher produces some fine higher-end sets, with a waiting list at least a year and a half.
Lambe, who I'm told makes excellent pipes has suspended taking orders for full sets... something to consider in the long term purchase.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tony on 2001-08-17 23:51 ]</font>
Celt_Music

Post by Celt_Music »

Ailin,
I got an email from Seth today. He said they'd be shipping this week. I'll be sure to do a post out here, once I figure out how steep the learning curve REALLY is!!! I've been told not to be too terribly self-critical once I start pumping the bellows & squeezing the bag so to speak. I expect the instrument to be a lot smarter than me...at least for a while.

Slainte,
Bruce Nuelken
Celt_Music

Post by Celt_Music »

Ailin,
The pipes came in! Boy are they hot! Seth & his crew made sure they were in tune before they left New York. They played, in very reasonable tune when the got to South Carolina a few days later. They left the shop last Friday, & I'm playing them along with CDs, without touching the reed. There's nice workmanship in the set and they sound just great! I love 'em. When it comes time to add drones, I'm sure I'll go back to Seth's Workshop!
There, how's that for an endorsement?

Let me know how it goes...
Slainte,
Bruce