New brilliant solo whistle CD by Brid O Donohue : review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cayden

New brilliant solo whistle CD by Brid O Donohue : review

Post by Cayden »

I have just now received the first copy of the wonderful CD ‘Tobar an Duchais’ by whistleplayer Brid O Donohue. This is the sort of CD I cherish, pure traditional, unaccompanied whistleplaying by one of the finest whistle players in Ireland.
Right from the opening track, a lovely lively version of the Green Groves of Erin followed by the Copperplate to final offering of reels : Ambrose Moloney’s and The Concert reel this is a recording of pure joy.
Brid draws from the well of her heritage (the Tobar an Duchais of the title) to play West Clare whistle music at it very best. Here we hear echos of the ever lively dance music and the air playing of Willie Clancy (a relation who gave Brid many tips at a young age) and the exquisite whistle and fluteplaying of Brid’s uncle JC Talty and many other greats from the West Clare tradition.

Included are Jigs Reels, hornpipes, a number of great airs, slip jigs and the great set dance Mount Phoebus Hunt (and Bloomfield's favourites: The Humours of Lissadel and the Reel of Mullinavat are included). Whistles played are D (Sindt), a Generation Eflat, C, an O’Briain improved e flat and a B Susato (all pictured on the cover by the way).

The music on the CD was selected for it’s associations with the people Brid learned from, in that sense it’s a very personal recording, here she plays the tunes learned when growing up. It is often said Irish traditional music is the music of people and places. If ever there was a CD that reflected that, this is the one.

From a very early age Brid has been one of the primary whistleteachers at the Willie Clancy Summerschool passing on the music she was given. Throughout the year she runs music classes for local children. SHe has a great way of handing on the tunes and she manages to pass on her wonderful rich ornamentation and sheer joy of playing to all her pupils. One of the great joys at the christmas concert she usually stages for her pupils was the band of 13-16 year olds. The band had all the lift of the old ceilibands and a wonderful strong flute section that reminded me of the sound of the Ballinakil. It was a real testament to her ability to hand on her music.

The CD cover has extensive notes and a large number of photographs, from old shots from the family album of whistle and fluteplayers like JC Talty and Michael Falsey and an especially lovely one of Willie Clancy playing the flute, through to images of Brid playing at very tender age, a nice shot by Liam Mcnulty of herself and Mary Bergin playing a duet at the Willie week somewhere during the mid-seventies and from there on right through to the present day (I can’t say much about those :wink: )

Patsy Sexton, Mary and Brid O Donohue, late 1960s

To surmise, this is a classic whistle album that in my mind has a place right next to the Moloney/Potts album and the Feadiga Stan (and to be honest I much prefer this one). If you only buy one whistle CD this year, believe me this should be the one.

The CD is due to be launched during the Willie Clancy Summer School and will be available from the first of July. Brid’s website will go up shortly at www.bridodonohue.com CDs can be ordered through the website, Custy’s or OssianUSA (more to follow)

Brid is a dear friend and neighbour, I had some part in the making of the CD: I lent the Sindt D used, Suggested some of the tunes, did most of the cover photography. I listened to all the rushes as they were done and lent moral support and what advice I had when needed. And I managed to keep the secret, until now. I do however not get anything out of this except the pure joy Brid has finally done this.

Last edited by Cayden on Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

Well said Peter.

I'm in for one...

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Me too! Sounds like my kind of music!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Finally the suspense is over! I'm next in line. I must say that picture of those three little girls is just beyond words. :) What little darlings.
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Looking forward to it, Peter.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Yes, yes, yes!

Sitting in Brid's kitchen and playing in C with Brid and Peter was just amazing. I had heard them play the Humours of Lissadell/Mullinavat set the night before at Friel's, and it was such a pure joy to join. (A joy to me, that is, but Brid & Peter bore it in good humor). :) I can't wait to get my fingers on that CD.

Do you have a track list for us, Peter?
/Bloomfield
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Bloomfield wrote:Yes, yes, yes!

Do you have a track list for us, Peter?
:roll:
1.Green Groves of Erin/Copperplate (reels)
2.Castlebar Races (Mist on the meadow)/Paddy Clancy's/Molloy's (jigs)
3.Scully casey's/Dunphy's (hrnp)
4. Over the Moor to Maggie/Steampacket (reels)
5.Caioneadh an spailpin (air)
6.O'farrell's Welcome to Limerick/Na Ceannabhain Bheanna (slip jigs)
7.Humours of Lissadel/Reel of Mullinavat (reels)
8.Banish Misfortune/the Planting Stick (jigs)
9.Bold Trainor O (air)/Mt Phoebus Hunt (set Dance)
10.Miss McDonald/Cornstalk (reels)
11. The Humours of Ballyloughlin/Brother Gildas' (jigs)
12.McDermott's/O'Dwyers (reels)
13.Amhrain an Leabhair (air)
14.Give us a drink of Water/Hardiman the fiddler/Kid on the Mountain (slip jigs)
15. Ambrose Moloney's/Concert reel (reels)
Last edited by Cayden on Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Peter Laban wrote: :roll:
Did I say something wrong? ;)

1.Green Groves of Erin/Copperplate (reels)
2.Castlebar Races (Mist on the meadow)/Paddy Clancy's/Molloy's (jigs)
3.Scully casey's/Dunphy's (hrnp)
4. Over the Moor to Maggie/Steampacket (reels)
5.Caioneadh an spailpin (air)
6.O'farrell's Welcome to Limerick/Na Ceannabhain Bheanna (slip jigs)
7.Humours of Lissadel/Reel of Mullinavat (reels)
8.Banish Misfortune/the Planting Stick (jigs)
9.Bold Trainor O (air)/Mt Phoebus Hunt (set Dance)
10.Miss McDonald/Cornstalk (reels)
11.McDermott's/O'Dwyers (reels)
13.Amhrain an Leabhair (air)
14.Give us a drink of Water/Hardiman the fiddler/Kid on the Mountain (slip jigs)
15. Ambrose Moloney's/Concert reel (reels)
Excellent. I can't wait to hear Brid's Over the Moor to Maggie. Wonder what whistle she is doing Valencia Harbour on.... and where the Give us a drink of Water/Hardiman/Kid otM set comes from...

:)
/Bloomfield
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Bloomfield wrote: Excellent. I can't wait to hear Brid's Over the Moor to Maggie. Wonder what whistle she is doing Valencia Harbour on.... and where the Give us a drink of Water/Hardiman/Kid otM set comes from...

:)
I actually heard her play Over the Moor to maggie at the Willie concert in 81 for the first time. She was a young shy girl then, barely 20 if at all. It was one I thought I had well, rolls and all. I couldn't believe the tone and the life she had. I stuck to playing the pipes for the next 15 years or so, never playing the whistle in public. Then she drew me back in again.

The sleeve notes will go up on the website, there are a few things to iron out (she was here just now to check her e-mail on my computer). I just noticed a temporary/test page is up om her website.

Post by Guest »

Great review Peter! Must be an extraordinary CD. Just checked link and it says ready in july.

Just to make things a little bit easier, why not open an Amazon shop account and sell it there, then it would sell itself!
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

Great review Peter,I will definitley be buying this :D
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Sounds like exactly the kind of CD I have been looking for. Thanks for the heads up Peter.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

This is the whistling wonder who keeps her instrument in her purse. :wink:(If you checkout Peter's previous posts,You'll know the story).
I can't wait to get hold of this c.d.
Brid is a phenomenally talented 'Puredrop' player,deserved of recognition IMHO.
From what I've heard she's already in my top half dozen 'All time Tinwhistle greats'!!
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

I'm also in for one of these CD's.

Peter, I notice that Brid plays with her right hand on top - I also play this way. Was this something that just happened or did she learn this way specifically. I cannot remember why I play this way but I also learned to play in Ireland in the early 60's. Any idears/comments? Do you see this often in players of that era?
Cheers Image
Gerry
Think before you Think before you Post!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Brid's left handed as are some of her children, not all of them play left handed while some of the right handed do. It doesn't really matter I suppose, you can get into trouble learning to play left handed and then taking up the pipes (but you will only find it a problem when the regs come into play). It often has to do with a great laissez faire attitude.