Electronic Tuner for Pennywhistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Emrys
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Electronic Tuner for Pennywhistle?

Post by Emrys »

I was recently at a Joannie Madden concert (fantastic!) and noticed that she used a small electronic tuner to get her whistles pitched just right before each tune. Now that I'm performing and using a bunch of whistles I realized it would be great to play that very first note in tune ... rather than the usual burst of out-of-tune glory that's inevitable when I'm changing tubes all the time. Does anyone have a PARTICULAR BRAND or type of tuner that they've used and can recommend?
Wanderer

Re: Electronic Tuner for Pennywhistle?

Post by Wanderer »

Emrys wrote:I was recently at a Joannie Madden concert (fantastic!) and noticed that she used a small electronic tuner to get her whistles pitched just right before each tune. Now that I'm performing and using a bunch of whistles I realized it would be great to play that very first note in tune ... rather than the usual burst of out-of-tune glory that's inevitable when I'm changing tubes all the time. Does anyone have a PARTICULAR BRAND or type of tuner that they've used and can recommend?
I'm personally fond of the Korg CA-30. It's fairly compact, covers octaves C1 through C8, and is about $20.
http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem. ... =KCA30XXXX

I originally had a QwikTune and it didn't cover the same range..I found myself using an online tuner though my computer whenever I reviewed high whistles, because the QwikTune didn't "hear" the 2nd octave.
http://www.apollosaxes.com/qwikguittun.html
Tony McGinley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tony McGinley »

I use this really neat FREE programme from Japan used for shakuhachi tuning:

http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~tuner/tuner_e.html

It has a broad range of settings and a good display on screen, and it is fairly easy to use. There are versions for the PC and MAC.

Course if you want a portable machine - there are dozens to choose from.
Tony McGinley

<i><b>"The well-being of mankind,
its peace and security,
are unattainable unless and until
its unity is firmly established."
<i><b>
slowair

Post by slowair »

I use the Korg myself. It's fanastic. Small and easy to use. And you can't beat the price.

I've seen them online at music123. com for $20 as well, which is where I got mine.

Good luck
Mike
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Wanderer wrote:
Emrys wrote:I was recently at a Joannie Madden concert (fantastic!) and noticed that she used a small electronic tuner to get her whistles pitched just right before each tune. Now that I'm performing and using a bunch of whistles I realized it would be great to play that very first note in tune ... rather than the usual burst of out-of-tune glory that's inevitable when I'm changing tubes all the time. Does anyone have a PARTICULAR BRAND or type of tuner that they've used and can recommend?
I'm personally fond of the Korg CA-30. It's fairly compact, covers octaves C1 through C8, and is about $20.
http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem. ... =KCA30XXXX

I originally had a QwikTune and it didn't cover the same range..I found myself using an online tuner though my computer whenever I reviewed high whistles, because the QwikTune didn't "hear" the 2nd octave.
http://www.apollosaxes.com/qwikguittun.html
I have one of these and use it from time to time. I didn't read the instructions, but just sort of figured it out.
barbuck

Post by barbuck »

I use the Korg also. Local stores here sell it for just under $20.
Accurate & easy to use.
BAR
fluti31415

Post by fluti31415 »

Korg -- I have had mine for about 15 years (they were quite expensive back then), and it has served me well. Even after being thrown against the wall a few times. :x
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I use a Kwik Tune when testing out whistles. It seems to hear both octaves OK for me.
One interesting thing you'll notice when you have an electronic tuner is how much you can blow notes sharp or flat. The variation can be pretty dramatic.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

Me too: Korg CA-30. It's the business. Strings Direct is probably the cheapest for UK buyers.

I had a Boss before but it wouldn't pick up the second octave on a high D whistle.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

brewerpaul wrote:I use a Kwik Tune when testing out whistles. It seems to hear both octaves OK for me.
One interesting thing you'll notice when you have an electronic tuner is how much you can blow notes sharp or flat. The variation can be pretty dramatic.
Hmm..I wonder if we had the same model. I can't remember for sure if mine was QT-11 or QT-12. It appears the QT-11 is grey or silver, and the QT-12 is tan colored. But my qwiktune definitely didn't hear the 2nd octave on a soprano whistle.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Wanderer wrote:
brewerpaul wrote:I use a Kwik Tune when testing out whistles. It seems to hear both octaves OK for me.
Hmm..I wonder if we had the same model. I can't remember for sure if mine was QT-11 or QT-12. It appears the QT-11 is grey or silver, and the QT-12 is tan colored. But my qwiktune definitely didn't hear the 2nd octave on a soprano whistle.
Funny, but mine does not have a model number on it. It's a 10 yr old model, and is black.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

brewerpaul wrote:Funny, but mine does not have a model number on it. It's a 10 yr old model, and is black.
That might explain it then. :) If we've got different models (which seems likely), it certainly is possible that they have different tuning ranges. I know that different models of Korgs do. For example, the Korg DT-7 has a range of A0 (27.50 Hz) to B7 (3,951.07 Hz)], whereas the DT-10 has a range of E0 (20.60Hz) to C8 (4186Hz).
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

brewerpaul wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
Funny, but mine does not have a model number on it. It's a 10 yr old model, and is black.
My Qwik Tune also blacks out above the first octave B on a high D whistle. It also doesn't have any model number on it. It has a bright yellow sticker the says "Lightning Fast Tuning" on the front and the words "Automatic Chromatic Tuner Qwik Tune." I don't use it any more.
Mike
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

Emrys wrote:Does anyone have a PARTICULAR BRAND or type of tuner that they've used and can recommend?
From the UK 8)

Seiko Chromatic Tuner
ST-747

IIRC £12 4(ish) years ago.
Used on all me whistles/flutes. didjerithingies,
dulcimers and harps.

HTH
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
talimirr743

Post by talimirr743 »

I agree with Wanderer, I use a Korg and its always very accurate.