Best Low D Whistle???????

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
corrcullen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Best Low D Whistle???????

Post by corrcullen »

Hi
Am considering buying a low D whistle...Just wondering what is the best one on the market regardless of price?
Also just curious as to which one did Finbar Furey use while playing The Lonesome Boatman?
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

By all means as of right now the "best in my opinion" is the new Kerry Songbird by Phil Hardy. There have been some reviews that you may want to reference which have been performed by C & Fer's.

It's design is beautiful, its capability to perform smoothly between octaves, and the back pressure to me make it a hands-down favorite.

You can hear it being played at: kerrywhistles.com

I have no idea what whistle is being played by Finbar on the tune, but it sounds nice.

Good luck.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

Why don't you throw an apple marked "For the Fairest" into the mix?

There are many fine whistles out there. But you'll get total agreement on which is "the best" at about the same time you'll get an honest 95% to 5% presidential election return.

What kind of sound are you looking for? Pure, complex, airy/chiffy, "flutey"? Loud or quiet? Can you handle a long reach and big holes? Lots of backpressue or almost none?

Give some idea of what you're looking for, and you'll probably get good advice. But the way you've asked it is like asking what's the "best car" - and we don't know your budget, prefered driving style, and tastes.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

I could imagine that Finbar played one of the very first low whistles made by Bernard Overton. And as to which lowD is the best lowD:
there is no answer that will suit everyone.
some will say: Colin Goldie Overton, others will say: Copeland, then again others might say: Bleazey, and yet others will swear by: Grinter.
there is no common consensus, depends also on what it is you are looking for, or what your personal definition of the best is.

by the way, welcome.
:)
StewySmoot

Re: Best Low D Whistle???????

Post by StewySmoot »

corrcullen wrote:Hi
Am considering buying a low D whistle...Just wondering what is the best one on the market regardless of price?
Depends on who is playing it. I like Kerry Whistles line of Low Ds
Last edited by StewySmoot on Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Best Low D Whistle???????

Post by amar »

StewySmoot wrote:
corrcullen wrote:Hi
Depends on who is playing it.
good one. :)
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

I think my Burke D Aluminum Pro Viper is the best.

Best at what? Well, best at sounding like the galvanized steel posts in a chain link fence when it's rapped on the glass coffee table on accident.

Table and whistle both survived - but the "gong" instantly swept me away to schoolyard days in nostalgic reverie.

It's pretty dang cool to play too. You can hear the voice of the Burke in a sound sample I made. <a href="http://www.tofutaco.com/whistles.asp">It's here.</a> Please excuse the lethargic playing, I'm a rank beginner and did the recording a couple months ago, the first day I played a Low D. Fingering a Low D is like being a parent - you can't really know what it's like until you do it.

Do listen to the more seasoned brethren and ladies here. There are too many low Ds with different qualities to pick any one "best." I'd say make your choice like picking a lady; do your research well then take a leap of faith.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

AFAIK Sweetheart....as soon as that reamer comes in. . .

Compared to:

Kerry, Burke, Cook all in my possession

Based on reach, breath requirements, stability of tone, looks and maintenance.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
corrcullen

Susato

Post by corrcullen »

Whats the Low Susato whistles like???
Whistling Willie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

I have the Kerry songbird low D,it's my first one,and it is very easy to play...as for the best low D,well it's like saying,whats the best car in the world,everyone has their own tastes and opinions,it really is just finding what you like yourself,never mind what anyone else says.
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
StewySmoot

Re: Susato

Post by StewySmoot »

corrcullen wrote:Whats the Low Susato whistles like???
What exactly are you looking for? Something that is easy to learn with, something that has volume for sessions? Something that plays itself and lets you take the credit? A chick magnet?

Throw us a friggin bone here....
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
corrcullen

Post by corrcullen »

StewySmoot wrote:
What exactly are you looking for? Something that is easy to learn with, something that has volume for sessions? Something that plays itself and lets you take the credit? A chick magnet?

A bit of everything i guess, ease of playing, sound quality, appearance...
Doesnt matter about price....
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

corrcullen wrote:
StewySmoot wrote:

Oh, that makes it easier.

Buy one each (of each model!) of Alba, Burke, Chieftain, Copeland, Howard, Jubilee, Overton, and Serpent Low D's. Play them all. Keep the one that works and sell the rest (or give them out to folks on this board).

Hey, you *did* say that price didn't matter. :twisted:

If you're serious, sorry for the flip answer. But I'm beginning to suspect that you're one of the board regulars indulging in a bit of leg-pulling.
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

corrcullen wrote:
StewySmoot wrote:

What is ease of playing? Fingering or breath?
corrcullen

Post by corrcullen »

no i'm genuine, i'm not wasting anyones time..
just looking for some advice...gonna treat myself to one decent whistle in the next week or so...

this site was is actually very helpful for product range...
http://www.chiffandfipple.com/Expens.html