USA, Florida, Gainesville

Chiff and Fipple in your hometown.
maze
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

USA, Florida, Gainesville

Post by maze »

Gainesville:

first and third sunday 4:30 - ?
Shamrock Pub (scary grunge and pondscum)javascript:emoticon(':o')

There are some others that happen from time to time in various places.

contact maze@ufl.edu
jen-m

Post by jen-m »

i lived in gville for 11 years and still visit quite frequently. about how many pipers meet up there? are you playing formally or is it open to all?
maze

pipers in gville

Post by maze »

As far as pipers here i am it in Gainesville. Though throughout the state there are I think something like 13 or so and we do get together a couple of times a year. For four years we had a very large tionol here, the last two years in g'ville itself. we have sessions every other week, sometimes more.

next time you head this way give me a shout.
jen-m

Post by jen-m »

i definitely will contact you, although i'm actually scared to bring my pipes down there in all that humidity. knowing my luck a palmetto bug would crawl in the bag!

so do you play your pipes at that bar? i know exactly where it is and even know some of those scary types. ha ha. :boggle:
maze

pipes in bar

Post by maze »

of course i play the pipes in the bars here... but in durty nelly's and in the shamrock... no problem... the bikers think they look like nice exhaust systems and leave them alone..

the humidity down here is very nice for the reeds... much better than up there in NC.
jen-m

Post by jen-m »

durty nelly's! that takes me back.

interesting about the humidity. to be honest, after wanting a set for 13 years i finally have one (practice set) and don't know squat. i am terrified of damaging them in any way. could you recommend any good books on the mechanics and maintenaince of these delicate 'lil monsters? i just went to pat sky's site and probably will order his book, "A Manual for the Irish Uilleann Pipes."
maze

maintenance

Post by maze »

First off, from whom did you purchase this practice set? I am curious of the maker.

Secondly, with a practice set, there should not be any maintenance issues... JUST LEAVE IT ALONE!! Seriously, there is a strong temptation to tinker with the reed and all, and from a decade of playing let me advise you to simply leave it be... focus on moving your fingers and technique. Pat's book will suffice.

Third, if you have any problems, take them to pat to look at if you are near raleigh or chapel hill... if not, ask me what to do to aleve the issue.

When do you return to g'ville?
I just played for graduation at the Philips Center on campus... indoctrinating the whole town with uilleann philosophy.
jen-m

Post by jen-m »

david boisvert made them and i'm really pleased.

i agree with you. i don't want to mess with them at all, but i would like to know the names of ALL of the parts and what should be broken down after practice and what should stay together. does any of that matter? i just want to look after them properly and store them correctly. the temperature fluctuates so much in the mountains.

also, my bellows keep belching and it's really distracting. i posted something about that on the main forum.

nice with the graduation ceremony.

not sure about my return as i was just there recently and the summer months are the worst to endure there, but we'll see.
maze

taking them apart

Post by maze »

there is really nothing to take apart... the bellows blow pipe and bag blowpipe come apart, and the chanter comes unplugged from the bag, and that is absolutely it. Never take the windcap off, and never take the reed out.... that should be it.

I could recommend to you the NPU video series available on their website, or the Heather Clarke tutor, though it seems to address each technique in isolation rather than addressing the gestalt of the piping tradition.
AnnaDMartinez
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

I'm coming to Florida in October, so add another whistler to the mix, and hope it's not as isolated as here in Deadwood! :wink: :wink: