Hotrodding my frankenwhistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whale
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hotrodding my frankenwhistle

Post by Whale »

Hey everybody! :D
M'name's Alex Pettit, and I've been whistling for about a year. I've got around 20 flutes and whistles of all kinds now. I have a REALLY banged up no-name tinwhistle that a friend gave to me a little while ago, and I'm looking to do some hotrodding.
Here's the deal-- the whistle's a conical rolled aluminum type, wooden plug. It was broken in half when I got it, so I soldered the two halves together. The whistle has a big crook in it now, but it's more ergonomic. I did some tweaking on the windway and lip to reduce the breathiness, but I really want to fix the block. It extends about 3 millimeters out past the mouth side of the windway, but the other end is tucked way behind the window, so there's a lot of empty space. What, if anything, should I do?
If you march to the beat of a different drum, aren't you still marching?
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

You should align the inside side of the fipple block with the edge of the window closest to your mouth when you play. Sounds like that means pushing it in. The result should be that when you look straight down through the window, the fipple block doesn't not extend into the whistle and is not recessed back either.

That's the rule of thumb. There are some debates about whether the edge fipple block should be undercut or the windwayfloor extend out a bit (look at the new Sweet Pros for that). Overtons have the fipple block straight down, that's good enough for me.

Good luck.
/Bloomfield
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I can't help seeing someone tooting a hot dog.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Let the whistle tell you where the block should be positioned. It should be pretty obvious when you've located the best position.

Best wishes,
Jerry