Flat pipes- Worth switching?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

No apologies are called for, I just tried to put a bit of relativity in place. He should have a look and at as many things as possible.
josamumc

Post by josamumc »

I appreciate all your advice. You guys have been great and I try to look at everyones opinion. It is hard when you know so little about this particular instrument due to the fact that sets and players are few and far between. If you play guitar and can't decide between a Gibson or a Fender you can read through countless articles and then travel five minutes down the road and try both.So it is fortunate to have poeple to share their experiences to help the learning process along. Thanks again.
james clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by james clark »

as far as flat pitch chanters are concerned.
I feel that folks should really consider looking at bruce childress's work. his D chanters are standard grade but his C and B
pitch chanters really stand out. I recently
aquired a B pitch blackwood from childress
and have found it does'nt sing- IT TALKS.
it's a pleasure to play, very clear and responsive.
Roger O'Keeffe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

On 2002-03-13 06:22, Tony wrote:
Because so many recorded tutorials and music CD's are played on D chanters it would be a good idea to keep yours and ADD the flat pitched chanter to your instrument collection. This way you won't limit yourself to the amount of music you can play along with and not have to rely on special pitch/speed altering software.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tony on 2002-03-13 07:52 ]</font>
At the risk of driving josamumc round the bend, I beg to differ. In the circumstances which he(?) describes, it would make more sense to order a complete flat set and a concert chanter, and sell on the complete concert set when the flat set is ready.

That way he will have the satisfaction of playing a full set and still be able to use the concert chanter in the limited circumstances where this is necessary.

I don't regret opting for a concert full set because it was on balance right for my personal circumstances, but it was a hard choice, and a weekend in the flat-set-friendly environment of the NPU tionol made me hesitate seriously. In josamumc's case the argument in favour of a flat set seems to win hands down. If I ever win the lottery, my order for a flat set goes in next day.