Silver Anniversary Set (25 years of pipemaking)?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Dionys,
If it's highest bidder than anything is possible. The average guy bidding will be bidding against professional musicians and collectors. The price could easily double.
Strider
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Strider »

Well after 25 years a guy should get a bonus don'tcha think?:-)
Strider

Post by Strider »

On another note - - - mammoth Ivory mounts - - I hope that's not a description of size!! :wink:
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

On 2002-04-10 01:15, Dionys wrote:
It's Ireland. No numbers/postal codes in the address, excepting large cities (e.g. Dublin 5 vs 4). In fact. To get a letter to my house in Ireland, you need only my name and the town/county. What a lovely place.

Dionys
A former boss of mine in the Irish Civil Service used to tell of a letter which was posted by some smitten cinema fan in the 1950s addressed to "Miss Marilyn Monroe, Hollywood".

When it arrived in Hollywood, County Wicklow, the local posmaster duly endorsed it "Not known here. Try Hollywood Co. Down."
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

What a wonderful story. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

Regarding the Mammoth Ivory mounts, I'm personally hoping it describes the age (I know you were joking around) considering the world-wide ban on ivory importing/exporting. If the buyer is outside of Ireland, it will most likely require them to hand-carry the instrument out of Ireland. Though I couldn't imagine purchasing such a set and not going to Ireland to pick it up (not to mention play it at some of the castles or other such 'special' places).

As for it going to the highest bidder, I'm willing to bet there are a lot of individuals who can outbid 'professionals.'

Dionys
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

Dionys, this is turning out to be a really nice thread...
Going to Ireland to pick-up the pipes, meeting Geoff and having him go over the details of tuning and setup tips... all in the spring/summer. That would turn into an awesome vacation.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Yeah, you could get in Willie Week while you were there too Image

As far as mammoth is concerned, you can transport it no problem. Just get a letter from Geoff or from the supplier stating that it is in fact mammoth ivory and not elephant ivory, this isn't necessary, but it is certainly good to have something.

Patrick.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Patrick D'Arcy on 2002-04-10 17:36 ]</font>
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

When going through US customs (most other countries are so lax it's disturbing), it's best to have as much paperwork as possible. So to whomever buys the set (note to self ) -- Secure notes/receipts from Geoff assuring that it is mammoth ivory. You could probably get through without them, but it will be a lot less difficult and annoying if you have paperwork out the wazzoo.

Dionys
Tony

Post by Tony »

We haven't decided the key these pipes are to be made in!! C and B were mentioned. Is B flat a possible option ??
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Personally, I'd love to see a narrow-bore D set. It's all a matter of opinion, though, and if you purchase it then it's all a matter of what you can convince Geoff to make.

Dionys
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I think the idea is for Geoff to make a set that he is very very proud of and a set in C or B would be his first choice. He can do other sets but why bother? Image

Patrick.
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Just thought this was appropriate.... Image

Patricimo.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Patrick,
Well, if it's going to be a special set... do something that will stand out. There are other pipemakers doing well with C and D sets but Geoff is the one for a narrow D. I held back on commenting as they (narrow D's) aren't regarded well on this board.
The B flat would be different too. Doesn't Todd Denman play one?
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Nope, Todd plays a B.

There is a *TON* of confusion over this whole "B flat set" and "flat B set" thing.

The majority of stuff you hear that is down that low is in B, even if the sleeve notes say otherwise.

I think this board is open to anything Geoff makes, he's the best and anything by him is going to be spectacular. But if you want to buy something that touched his heart a B or C is the way to go.

Patrick.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Patrick D'Arcy on 2002-04-12 13:39 ]</font>
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

What is it he loves so much about making a B or C? They're hardly unique these days. I agree, though. He's probably one of the best makers on the planet right now and someone would be happy to own any one of his sets.

Dionys