Doug Tipple does it again!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jay-eye
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jay-eye »

Hey, I've had my 3pce 8-hole Tipple flute in grey for just over a week and I'm lovin' it - what a class instrument!

Doug really does do a great job on these (as many have discovered and attested before me) and I'm really bowled over by the high standard of workmanship, the great finish he gets and the SOUND!

You can play it sonic-boom loud, you can play whisper soft, and all the time it's very expressive with great variation of tone available, and it's gloriously, fantastically, wedgily, IN TUNE! OK so that's been a rarity in my flute collection thus far but this one is so refreshingly different.

Doug knows his stuff alright. And he's a very clever fella the way he cuts the finger holes and embouchure as they're finished to perfection and not just bodged with a power drill - we're talking some seriously skilfull undercutting here.

I ordered it, he'd made it and sent it 2 days later and it arrived across the big pond only 4 days after that! What a guy! I'm starting to wonder now, if he took off his glasses wouldn't he look a bit like Superman?

I'd tried a Seery delrin a week or 2 before but it just didn't do it for me. I had a good long session trying to get a sound I liked but couldn't find it. This Tipple flute though, it was real 'hair on the back of the neck' stuff straight out of the box! I love it. I love it. I love it. And NO oiling.

All I need now is for either Doug or Glenn Schultz to come up with a plumb low D and I'll be in whistle heaven. Oops! Am I allowed to say that on the flutey forum?

I ned to order a couple more so I can be a triple Tippler. :lol:
J.I.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
Blackbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blackbeer »

Jeez am I gonna have to get one of these things? No no no, I just can`t buy another flute. Wounder about a trade...............................

:boggle:

Tom
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

That's the other thing abut them, Tom, they really are the bargain of the century.

I'd also go along with what Doug himself says: If you played one to a panel of blindfolded judges and mixed it in with a few superior quality wooden flutes, I don't think for a minute that they'd be able to spot the Tipple. :o

Go for it. You know it makes sense! :wink:
J.I.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

I have a 2 piece d in grey. This is my first flute and I am very happy with it. After struggling for 2 weeks I can play the first and second octaves and am able to play a few simple tunes ( almost).
The cost I feel is more than reasonable and on my limited budget a wooden flute is impossible.This was an affordable way to find out if the flute is something I want to stick with and I feel it is.
The volume is great and I love the sound. It sounds to me like an Irish flute and NOT like a piece of pvc.It is very well made and the work of a craftsman. The tuning slide is sturdy and well fitted. The finish has zero flaws.
I have the wedge but find it difficult to play with it in ,which is I'm sure do to my lack of experience.Heck, I'm just happy that I no longer feel as if I'm going to pass out just trying to hit low d.
Even though I am a struggling beginer I enjoy it as the flute has a beautiful sound.I would highly recommend this flute to everyone as a very , very good value. It's a steal when compared to the price of some pvc low d's ( whistles).
Mr. Tipple is also very personable and sent a few e-mails that were very helpful and encouraging.
Sincerely, another darn newbie
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Blackbeer wrote:Jeez am I gonna have to get one of these things? No no no, I just can`t buy another flute. Wounder about a trade...............................

:boggle:

Tom
Give it up Tom. You don't have a flute for playing in the shower do you?

They are remarkably dandy tooters...outstanding bang for the buck and a 50 million year half life. :)

Doc
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

Doc Jones wrote:

They are remarkably dandy tooters...outstanding bang for the buck and a 50 million year half life. :)

Doc
Oooh! Can I have that as a name for a band, Doc?

"Ladies & Gentlemen, we present......
The Remarkably Dandy Tooters!!!" :lol:

j.i.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Jay-eye wrote:
Oooh! Can I have that as a name for a band, Doc?

"Ladies & Gentlemen, we present......
The Remarkably Dandy Tooters!!!" :lol:
You Bet J.I. :)

Here's a few more you can also have:

The Fairly Fine Fiddlers
The Merely Mediocre Mandolinists

If anyone else needs a great name for their band just let me know. My rates are quite reasonable. :lol:

Doc
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Ditto on everything Jayeye and Toughknot said; I just got my white dimpled Tipple D and it's also just as described. You cannot beat the deal Doug(Robert)Tipple is giving you-and I used 'giving' intentionally!

He said he has about enough of the white dimpled pvc left for about 50 more flutes, a word to the wise. And you couldn't meet a nicer guy on the internet!
~~~~
Barry
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

As a beginner I have been struggling but I am improving. Today I was able to consistently hit that honkin low d.The sound is fat! This flute has inspired me to quit smoking......again. :D
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Toughknot, this is for you!:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... it+smoking

Go for it, and good luck, I'm routing for you!
~~~~
Barry
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Thanks for the link. I haven't made a commited attempt yet but will within the next 2 days. My last attempt saw me tobacco free for 8 months. I'm ready to be free again, to breath,to not stink like an ashtray and to not get lightheaded and dizzy while trying to learn the flute. Thanks for the support.
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
Denny

Post by Denny »

I have a Tipple D, that I recently added a wedge to.
The wedge seemed to add a bit more Hautboy to the sound.

I have just received my Tipple Eb w/dimples.
The wedge ain't got nothing on them dimples!

Seriously, excellent flutes!

Denny
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

After reading so many good reviews, I decided What the hey? and splurged a few overtime bucks on the Tipple dimpled D and Eb.

Well, I got them yesterday, and everything everybody says is CORRECT!

I am frankly amazed. After just a few minutes with it, and after the adjustment of the offset finger holes (and I am ordering one today with in-line holes) I could basically make the flute do everything my wooden flutes do, including make that loud reedy honk that I like. It easily sings in the upper octave.

And I just can't say anything else.

This should be the quintessential instrument for anyone considering trying keyless flute.

Could ya spend more on a flute? Well, sure, but with this flute you don't need to.

Thanks, Robert!

M
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I love my Tipple. Great value. :D
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

Doug Tipple for President!

(Sorry, Dale. Voters are very fickle!) :lol:

j.i.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.