Reeds and Rushes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Granted, both can be found down by the river...but I'm more interested in how they relate in pipes! :smile:

I was told to try rushing the bore of my chanter to stabilize the bottom D, and bring the bottom octave into tune. But when I've tried this (along with a small strip of plastic inserted in the bell as per David Daye) all it's done is make the bottom D gurgle much more prevalent.

Does this seem normal? What exactly is the purpose of rushes, and how will they affect the tone? Softer? More in tune? Easier to blow??? Thanks yet again!

Bri~
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Rushes in the bore (or anything for that matter) effectively narrow the bore thus flattening the note at the particular spot they are inserted (and to a certain extend those below that spot) a means so to keep notes in check. Rushing also dull the chanter (mellow some would say)
brendan ring
antispam: No

Post by brendan ring »

Rushing a chanter only affects the bottom octave, thus if your top octave is flat, rushing will improve the octave relationship. Some concert pitch chanters are actually designed to take a rush. However, the rush usually takes the form of a metal wire about 1.5mm thick going up to around the A hole. Rushing in my experience does not tend to cure a gargling low D. This is either a problem with the reed or the throat of the chanter. Most regulators require rushes for tuning.