Getting that booming sound.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
JeffS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JeffS »

All good feedback, thanks.
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

Can anyone suggest a decent tuner?
eskin

Post by eskin »

As both a silver and wooden flute player, the embrochure I use for irish flute is nothing like that I use for silver.

For silver, its a much more directed, efficient stream to give a sweet, clear tone with fewer upper harmonics. For irish flute, I'm generally pushing the flute almost to the point of breaking to the octave, much more directed down into the instrument, with a wider lip opening. Also, the air flow is almost entirely driven from the diaphragm, with the throat wide open and the jaw dropped, very different from how I would do things playing classical silver flute.

Using a silver flute embrochure on the wooden and polymer irish flutes I've played works, but generally gives a flat, quiet sound, weak in harmonics and really not very characteristic of the irish flute...

Just my $.02, YMMV...

Michael Eskin
http://www.michaeleskin.com
totst

Post by totst »

On 2002-03-14 15:41, eskin wrote:
As both a silver and wooden flute player, the embrochure I use for irish flute is nothing like that I use for silver.
Would a more modern embrochure cut then change your playing approach? I noticed Jean Michel Veillon having a headjoint with a riser, that would mean a higher chimney more like a silver flute lip plate. Skip Healy has more of a squarish blowing hole shape, though I didn't have the flute long enough to compare with my Boehm. Any comments?

Tots
Dana

Post by Dana »

I've had several very expensive tuners through the years, and recently bought a new Korg CA-30 tuner. I like it as much as any I've had, plus its very small, and only $20. I bought it from the Woodwind, at http://www.woodwindbrasswind.com/home.jsp
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

This thread has been very helpful--
thanks for all the good information.