Mounting your pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
glands
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Mounting your pipes

Post by glands »

I thought that I'd post this note to stimulate those of you with full sets, or interesting photos of historic full sets, to share photographs in this thread. Let's focus on the mounts and the unity presented by the designs in this thread.
Last edited by glands on Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn »

Here are a few views of some old regulator caps.

Kevin Rowsome's Willie Rousome C#

Another Willie Rousome set

The Cummings Taylor set

Kenna

Robert Reid
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Nice pics.
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Mounting your pipes?

Sounds like the sort of thing that goes on somewhere in the background of a typical Hieronymus Bosch painting :D.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

The subject reminded me of the old octopus joke, which is not fit for a family board... :boggle:
glands

Post by glands »

Peter, I imagine that you have some gems in your collection of photographs? Any that you could or would share?

David, that Kenna set of mounts is particularly interesting. We'll have to consider an iteration of that design if nothing else of interest strikes our fancy. Got any scrap wood for a test turn of a few parts to see how they would look in 3-D?
travhicks

Mounting

Post by travhicks »

Man, if this doesn't make me salivate, I don't know what would. You're killing me with the build-up for this set, glands!

It's obvious that I'm in the wrong profession, as I could barely afford the one set of pipes that I have (had to sell my old set, a concertina, several whistles, and various collectibles to buy the new one), much less pay for research and development! Let this be a lesson for those of you who are still in school: Don't go into architecture if you're looking to make tons of money.

Me...jealous?? You bet. And my one set is a K+Q 3/4 B set in pear, brass, and boxwood that would make others jealous.

So, back to the topic at hand: My set is featured on Patrick D'Arcy's "extras" page, and there are some nice close-up shots of the mounts. You've probably already seen these images, but in case you haven't, check out that page at www.uilleannobsession.com. David tells me that these turnings are inspired by the work of M. Egan. As a result of my education in modernist architecture and, therefore, my bias towards clean lines, I asked David for an aesthetic of understatement...in contrast to your beehive set, if you ask me. But it's the reeds and the bores that matter, right?

Anyway, congratulations on the forthcoming set. I look forward to seeing/hearing it someday.

Travis
j.hohl.kennedy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by j.hohl.kennedy »

glands wrote:Peter, I imagine that you have some gems in your collection of photographs? Any that you could or would share?

David, that Kenna set of mounts is particularly interesting. We'll have to consider an iteration of that design if nothing else of interest strikes our fancy. Got any scrap wood for a test turn of a few parts to see how they would look in 3-D?
Lewis, I agree with you. While I like most of the photographs, my attention was particularly drawn to the Kenna mounts.

*Jonathan*
Davey

a few

Post by Davey »

While they may not be gems....

Coyne B set

McPhee

This bottom set is R.Reid., and a real darling of a player.
John Mulhern

Post by John Mulhern »

Anyone know the location of any good pic's illustrating the chanter architecture of that Kenna set?
DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn »

John Mulhern wrote:Anyone know the location of any good pic's illustrating the chanter architecture of that Kenna set?

And on another note, the regulator caps on Mr Hicks's set:
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Anyone notice how these mountings look very much like chess pieces? Very interesting, indeed... Lewis, Quinn, either of you play chess?

I could live with the one's on Hick's set... Not that I'm ever goning to get regs, much less figure out how to play them. Who has Hick's? Is this a pipemaker, or someone who owns them? Or is that another fine example of K & Q workmanship?

By the way, congrats on being able to get yer own personal, one of a kind pipes, Lewis!!!
travhicks

Mounting

Post by travhicks »

Travis Hicks - Piper and Owner of the pear, brass, and boxwood B 3/4 set. (someone else has the matching pear chanter, though - I have a plum wood B chanter, instead) Koehler + Quinn made the pear set as well as the plum chanter (not pictured).
tompipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

I've never heard of that pipemaker McPhee.
Do you know anything about them.
Just curious, its a nice looking set.
Tommy
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Chess pieces were turned by lathe, just like pipes, in the 1800s and still are today. Same materials as were used for pipes, too: boxwood, ebony, ivory. Knights are the exception; they have to be finished by hand and are often the piece with the most character in a set.

Here's an example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 28050&rd=1

I never heard about anyone 'mounting their pipes' but I wonder if anyone has 'humped their chanter'?