D/C# accordions

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
psmithltd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

D/C# accordions

Post by psmithltd »

Hey there,

I had a few questions about accordions. Does anyone know where you can find a D/C# box? Cost, etc? Also, is there much of a playing difference between a D/C# and a C#/D?

I'm somewhat interested in learning the box, and as I play the harmonica I thought it might be fun to play the D/C# box. Also, I terribly admire the music of Joe Cooley.

Any suggestions?

Post by Guest »

You sound like a Pom, if so you'd quickly find something suitable in the 'Irish Post', certainly Hob Goblin - on the internet would have something, as well.

In the USA try 'the squeezebox' .
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

i don't think there are many Poms in South Bend...

Jim Coogan plays D/C# and he'd probably be most helpful. His website is

http://members.aol.com/jimattheboxofc/

I'm sure he'd be glad to talk about the differences and sell you a box if you wanted one.
there is no end to the walking
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Actually I think Jim Coogan plays a C#/D - the difference is important. (The outer row is the first of the pair.)

The advantage of having the main row on the outside is, I am told, that the outer row is generally slightly more powerful. The disadvantage would be finding a box in D/C#. I think you'd have to order a new one custom-built, or trust your luck in the search for a 2nd-hand box, which might take a long time.

C#/Ds are much more plentiful, as you probably know, even if they're not so plentiful as B/Cs, which, with all the arrogance of a total beginner, I consider a perverse system (* ducks to avoid missiles thrown by Chris Laughlin and TeriK *).

If it's a question of the sound, consider the Saltarelle Irish Bouëbe. According to info. at the www.buttonbox.com, it has "innovative features: the inside row operates the upper row of pads for a bigger sound" - plus (incredibly useful) a stop on the bass side to remove the thirds from chords, thereby allowing you to play basses against minor melodies.

If it's a question of duplicating Cooley's playing style exactly, well that's another question. I thought he played a C#/D, but your question makes me think otherwise. Do you know for sure?

I can't really tell you about the differences in playing between the 2 systems. If you're playing on the outer row, I think that playing rolls might be a lot trickier. Mind you I also think that rolls usually sound pretty ghastly on the box - Cooley's being a notable exception.

At any event I think contacting Jim Coogan is a good idea. You might also post your question to the irishbox group on yahoo ( http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/irishbox/ ) where there are people who know a lot more about the subject than me (I'm in the C#/D kindergarten at the moment).

Good luck
Steve
rh

Post by rh »

StevieJ wrote:Actually I think Jim Coogan plays a C#/D - the difference is important. (The outer row is the first of the pair.)
I'm pretty sure you're incorrect here... Jim learnt to play in the days when D/C# was the preferred tuning stateside. He's mentioned that he's tried to switch to the more popular C#/D but he's set in his ways. He's also mentioned C#/D is easier on the wrist than D/C#.

anyway, ask him, he'll be happy to tell you i'm sure.

I think Joe Derrane might play a D/C#.
Last edited by rh on Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
there is no end to the walking
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

what's a pom??
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

meemtp wrote:what's a pom??
A disparaging term for a British citizen.

Post by Guest »

StevieJ wrote:Actually I think Jim Coogan plays a C#/D - the difference is important. (The outer row is the first of the pair.)
C#/Ds are much more plentiful, as you probably know, even if they're not so plentiful as B/Cs, which, with all the arrogance of a total beginner, I consider a perverse system (* ducks to avoid missiles thrown by Chris Laughlin and TeriK *).

If it's a question of duplicating Cooley's playing style exactly, well that's another question. I thought he played a C#/D, but your question makes me think otherwise. Do you know for sure?

Good luck
Steve
Correct but Joe also played a D/D# Paulo customised box. You'd learn a great deal from reading about Tony Mc Mahon.

Actualy as a cold beginner to 'Cooley style' Irtrad squeeze box the place to start IS NOT the chromatic box but the Melodian since that is how Joe started. And if you think that kind of thing out of style then go listen to the recordings of Quinn, Connoly and Gannon etc ..

Post by Guest »

Nanohedron wrote:
No it ain't! Originating in Australia the term reffered to new arrivals from the UK who's culinary customs included the humble spud which as you probably don't know is not as common in the hot hot hot climate of Australia as it is in the cool/cold climate of western Europe.

So nowadays its like calling a US person a 'Yank'.
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Jim Coogan plays D/C# as does Joe Derrane. However, the more usual tuning currently popular is C#/D.

Cooley played a C#/D (or the Eb equivalent: D/D#).

The way ornaments are played on box is done differently depending on if your D row is on the inside or outside, especially rolls.

Playing a D/C# is like playing a one-row melodeon in D with an extra row to grab accidentals from. Playing a C#/D you're more likely to integrate both rows into your playing.

If you're looking for a stock, off the shelf, box you may have trouble finding a D/C#. If you're ordering one to be built from scratch then most places will be happy to make you a D/C# (Castagnari, etc...).

-Brett
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

toasty wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
No it ain't! Originating in Australia the term reffered to new arrivals from the UK who's culinary customs included the humble spud which as you probably don't know is not as common in the hot hot hot climate of Australia as it is in the cool/cold climate of western Europe.

So nowadays its like calling a US person a 'Yank'.
Absolutely correct about the word's Australian origins. It's still a disparaging term for a UK citizen, though, so I don't see your disagreement. I myself don't take much offence at being called a "Yank", also a disparaging term (I level it at myself from time to time in good humor), but I do make note of its use and who's using it.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

just came across a french webside, http://perso.club-internet.fr/lgendrot/ ... iciens.htm
if i liked to play a D/Cs box, wich is very rare these days, i'd need a teacher nearby in the first place, rather then trying to copy someone's style. there's video's available on Cs/D and B/C boxes aswell, but i believe there's non in the odd keys. once you've decided on a box, it's hard to switch to another combination.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I went through this awhile back and ended up with a Hayden-style duet concertina instead.

However, in the process I learned about a guy named Billy McComisky that sells a fairly good (by all reports) entry-level box. He has them in B/C or D/C#.

I don't have any contact info anymore.

Seems like they were about $450.

Have fun,

Doc
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Here's the old link with Billy's contact info.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... +mccomisky

Best,

Doc
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

However, in the process I learned about a guy named Billy McComisky that sells a fairly good (by all reports) entry-level box. He has them in B/C or D/C#.
This would be the Learner brand. They're made in China to Billy's specs and IMHO they're the best value going in a student box, easily the equal of the entry-level Hohners or Weltmeisters (which cost twice as much). Two reeds per note (tuned wettish), 23 buttons, no thirds in the bass chords, thumbwheel-adjustable bass strap, finished in black (B/C) or red pearloid (C#/D). I started out on a B/C one and currently am playing one in C#/D. They aren't available in D/C#, but I suppose you could go in and switch the reedblocks around if you really wanted to.