Very Low Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
stefpat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Very Low Whistle

Post by stefpat »

Hello,
Do you have a low C? If yes, Alba or ...
What is your biggest whistle? Low D, low C, low Bb, ...
Thanks and have a good day, STEFPAT
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Well,I've just found out-via the 'Flared bottom' thread on this very board,that my ALBA Low 'A' on on it's way!!!! YEEHAA! :D
I already own an Alba Low 'C',which is a mighty whistle.
I also have low Recorders -Tenor in C,Bass in 'F' (both plastic,by Yamaha) and a wooden Greatbass in 'F',made by Kung,picked up via E-Bay.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
stefpat

Post by stefpat »

kevin m. wrote:Well,I've just found out-via the 'Flared bottom' thread on this very board,that my ALBA Low 'A' os on it's way!!!! YEEHAA! :D
I already own an Alba Low 'C',which is a mighty whistle.
I also have low Recorders -Tenor in C,Bass in 'F' (both plastic,by Yamaha) and a wooden Greatbass in 'F',made by Kung,picked up via E-Bay.
I have 4 low D, Alba, Overton, Dixon and a Susato
I would like buy a low C.
What is the main difference between low D and low C?
Is it possible to play it, size holes are not too large and the spacing?
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

The Alba low 'C' is a very easy stretch and the finger holes aren't too big (hole 5 is approx 10.5 mm in diameter) if you can manage to play the Susato low D,you will have no problems at all with the Alba 'C'.
It's an instrument that I rate very highly,and it's a great addition to my whistle collection.
It would certainly be another 'string to your bow' and a change for you,having FOUR low D whistles (mind you,I have three-Copeland,Chieftain and Howard-I used to own Susato and Shaw too until I sold them last year!).
stefpat

Post by stefpat »

kevin m. wrote:The Alba low 'C' is a very easy stretch and the finger holes aren't too big (hole 5 is approx 10.5 mm in diameter) if you can manage to play the Susato low D,you will have no problems at all with the Alba 'C'.
It's an instrument that I rate very highly,and it's a great addition to my whistle collection.
It would certainly be another 'string to your bow' and a change for you,having FOUR low D whistles (mind you,I have three-Copeland,Chieftain and Howard-I used to own Susato and Shaw too until I sold them last year!).
and what do you think about Howard Low D?
kevin m.

Howard re-evaluated.

Post by kevin m. »

I don't play the Howard very often,as the finger holes are large and notes above 2nd octave G are harder to hit cleanly than my other low D whistles.
Though having said that,it's probably down to lack of practice on my part-I got the Howard out again when I saw your question,and guess what?-It IS a GOOD WHISTLE!
I had been thinking about selling it,but I think that it's a keeper now.
The tone is definately different from any other Low whistle,It's very much a rich,low WHISTLE sound (especially in the lower octave),whereas the Copeland is 'Flutey'.
I think the lesson to be learnt is that when you are a whistle COLLECTOR,you tend to neglect some of your instruments,and really don't get to play them to their full potential.
Sometimes,you really don't appreciate just what you already have!
So,in essence, my 're-discovery means that it's almost like receiving a 'new' instrument,my second in the last week,as I also cleaned up a battered old wooden descant Recorder,and found it was playable. :)
Thanks!
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I have several Low D's myself (Bleazey, Overton, Copeland and two different Jubilee's (aluminum and practice). I have actually owned and passed on more than that. Nothing lower though. The Alba C tour will be coming through my local at some future time so we will see.

Regarding the Howard: It sounded a LOT like my Bleazey, but there was just something about the Mopani that gave it that extra little bit of sweetness that the metal just left out. The Bleazey is also a conical bore and has a much more friendly finger spread. But for the money, the Howard is not a bad whistle.

Now, regarding the Jubilee whistles: I was playing the Aluminum tunable last night. There are a few things I do not like about this whistle, but they are all physical and not musical. It is fairly easy to play and QUITE in tune. OXXXOO Cnat. Now why am I telling you all this. Daniel just happens to make WAY low whistles. I am talking about D below Tenor D, like in Bass D. WAY LOW. Based on the results of having this whisle of his, I am certain that his other whistles will be just as good. I have not seen his key work up close, but I hope that may happen soon.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
stefpat

Post by stefpat »

Do you have experience of ALBA LOW C? Price is very attractive
Steve Pribyl

Post by Steve Pribyl »

I own an Overton low Bb by Colin Goldie. It's HUGE! The finger spread is very wide and the holes are rather large, but it is playable. It does sound very good, but I need to play if for awhile to get my fingers stretched out, before I am comfortable with it.

I also have a Copeland and an Overton (Bernard) low d, which I find comfortable to play, just to give a refernce for my hand size.

Steve