This is why I love Georgia

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Snuh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Snuh »

TelegramSam wrote:
MarkB wrote:Sam are saying a 1/2" like 0.05 inches AND THEY CLOSED THE SCHOOL....Gee must be all wimps down there. :-?

MarkB
We're not wimps, we just happen to live in a warm climate where it almost never ices over. The problem is the fact that people DON'T know how to deal with it. Nobody even owns tire chains, nobody knows how to drive on it, nobody knows how to <i>walk</i> on it (last time it iced up the school didn't close right off and many students fell on the sidewalks and steps outdoors before they finally gave up and cancelled classes). It's not being wimpy, it's avoiding a lawsuit.

And hey, if you think we're such wimps, come down here in the summer and play with the heat, humidity, and the mosquitoes and see how tough you are.
Truth is, it gets just as hot and humid up here (I've worked outside when it's been about 115F), just not for as long. Summer lasts about a month. ;)

A.J.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Man, we have it rough here in California, too. Last night it got down below 60 degrees. And some rain drops fell, too. I almost panicked. :D
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Snuh wrote: Truth is, it gets just as hot and humid up here (I've worked outside when it's been about 115F), just not for as long. Summer lasts about a month. ;)

A.J.
Ours lasts from about the end of April or so to the middle of October most years. August is the absolute worst month of the year.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
middling

Post by middling »

vomitbunny wrote: And people don't know how to drive in it either. Not like we get a lot of practice.
We get a lot of it here in N. Utah and people still don't know how to drive in it. Or out of it, for that matter. It could be 70 and sunny and dry and people here still drive like they're on lithium.

We use salt here too. We have a big lake full of it, we're famous for it.
SwtCaro

Post by SwtCaro »

I have to drive the whole Ogden-Provo route to get to my parents' in Colorado, and it doesn't matter the time of year, the drivers are crazy! (Not all, mind you. :) )I always make my husband drive through SLC.

SwtCaro
LeeMarsh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

Well, I used to live up in northwestern PA. Erie Pa would get an average of 70-80 inches a year, my little down of Edinboro (20 miles south of Erie) average 120 inchs ayear. Some salt was used but mostly they used cinders. Cinders were very cheap because the steel mills of South Western PA (Pittsburgh and the area) produced mountains of slag which broke down to cinders. Cinders also continued to give traction even when frozen into the ice.

A couple of weeks ago my son Jonathan called (he live 10 miles south of Edniboro) to report they just broke the total snow record for a season something like 240 inches. Thats 20 feet of snow, and they were expecting more.

In my 10 years in Edinboro, four years were spent working in Erie, and I missed two days in four years because of snow. That was because all the construction workers shifted their trucks, front end loaders, etc to snow removal around November and stayed employed with snow management through March. Roads were always in better shape in terms of snow removal. Every one had snow tires. Every road built for drainage, which removed the puddling that might become ice. The highway department had snow blower in place of plows on the front of the cinder trucks; sets of blades more than 8 foot tall and the full width of the truck that scooped up snow and threw it 30-40 feet.

Of course all the freezing of the concrete produce some epic pot holes in the spring. Every one was alway looking out for the ones that seemed to have an appetite for Volkswagon Beetles. The other spring pass time was figuring out how the one neighbor on the block managed to keep all his gutters while the rest of us lost varying most of ours to 10 foot Ice sickles and avalanches of snow from our roofs.

Here in Maryland, I'd swear that the local auto body association heavily lobbied for FLAT roads. These road last four to five weeks before developing ruts that hold water. Excellent preparations for the ice rink style highways that form several times each winter. We may not get but 16-20 inches of snow a year, but we clearly get 5 times the down time and 20 times the autobody business.

But the days off do provide folks with the opportunities to sit at home and ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.