Boo on CBS

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

How do you feel about the Superbowl halftime entertainment?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:52 pm

I am offended, Janet and Justin should be sued for indecent exposure and public lewdness.
19%
Don't be a prude. In fact, men should tear off womens clothing in public more often!
6%
Don't be a prude. In fact, women should tear off their own clothing in public more often!
15%
Children should be exposed to more of this. Let's add it to the curriculum!
4%
Nursing a baby is a beautiful thing.
2%
Hey, I take my thrills where I can get them!
4%
Aw shoot, I missed the whole thing!
15%
There was a Superbowl?
21%
Does anybody have the lyrics to "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?"
No votes
Oh, the humanity!
15%

Total votes: 53

spittin_in_the_wind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Boo on CBS

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

So I'm sitting here watching the half-time show with my 7 year old when Justin what's-his-face rips off a piece of Janet Jackson's shirt, exposing her breast. What are these people thinking? Fortunately, my daughter didn't catch it and kept saying, "What did he do? What did he do?" in response to our reaction. That is a total breach of confidence on the part of CBS. One should be able to let one's kids watch the Superbowl, especially when the home team is playing in it, without fear of frontal nudity. And I was worried about the commercials....

:moreevil: :moreevil: :moreevil:

Robin
Last edited by spittin_in_the_wind on Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norm

Re: OT: Boo on CBS

Post by Norm »

spittin_in_the_wind wrote:So I'm sitting here watching the half-time show with my 7 year old when Justin what's-his-face rips off a piece of Janet Jackson's shirt, exposing her breast. What are these people thinking? Fortunately, my daughter didn't catch it and kept saying, "What did he do? What did he do?" in response to our reaction. That is a total breach of confidence on the part of CBS. One should be able to let one's kids watch the Superbowl, especially when the home team is playing in it, without fear of frontal nudity. And I was worried about the commercials....

:moreevil: :moreevil: :moreevil:

Robin
I'm glad my grandson wasn't sitting next to me when that happened. I thought the whole half time show stunk, but that part took the cake! Why can't our national anthem be sung the way it was written? I didn't like our National Flag draped on Dingus Mc Fruity or what ever that dips name was and it was BACKWARDS, talk about stupid! They think they are Patriots, I think they are putrid. :devil:
Cheers
Norm
They sit and chat and laugh n' giggle, then someone starts a lick on a whistle and it's "Katie bar the door!"
whistlegal

Post by whistlegal »

My ten year old son got his eyes full. I can't believe they allowed that. :evil:
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I don't think it was planned, for what it's worth.

That's always the ever-present danger when it comes to live television...
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Rando7

Post by Rando7 »

TelegramSam wrote:I don't think it was planned, for what it's worth.

I think it was planned - Janet didn't look too surprised and she had a little pasty thingy on. MTV (who produced the halftime show) probably thought it was cutting edge but IMHO it was just dumb.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

They were probably trying to see how far they could go, after a recent ruling let slide a violation of the court-established dirty word list, on another live telecast.
Reasonable person
Walden
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

I can't find any way to complain to MTV, apparently they don't like feedback. CBS and the FCC have been contacted, however.

Robin
Tom Dowling
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

I'm reasonably pleased to report that, during the Boy Toy, Slut Girl and National Beer Slur-Person parade, I was working on a Mary Bergin Tune (Mrs. Crehans). Let's hear it for TV's with 'mute' buttons!

Tom D.
Norm

Post by Norm »

Rando7 wrote:
TelegramSam wrote:I don't think it was planned, for what it's worth.

I think it was planned - Janet didn't look too surprised and she had a little pasty thingy on. MTV (who produced the halftime show) probably thought it was cutting edge but IMHO it was just dumb.
I worked in the "industry for 3 years. It WAS planned! Nothing like that gets by without producers approval. :twisted:
Cheers
Norm
They sit and chat and laugh n' giggle, then someone starts a lick on a whistle and it's "Katie bar the door!"
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

I smell a movie-of-the-week in the making!

-or-

"Slutty-past-their-prime-pop-divas-and-the-hormone-crazed-wannabe-teenie-bopper-idols-that-grab-their-boobies"

on the next A Current Afair!
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Like-wise Tom though it wasn`t a tune by Mary Bergin I was working on. I am having a heck of a time with the secound part of Teddybears Picinic. Driving me crazy actualy. But I have to figure it out as a defence against My Grandfathers Clock.
It was hard to ignore the sexist attitude surrounding the hole super bowl extravagansa. Very strange, almost adolesent. Makes me wounder about evolution ya know :)

Tom
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Blackbeer wrote:I am having a heck of a time with the secound part of Teddybears Picinic.
http://www.rit.edu/~eeg6662/tunes/teddybearspicnic.mp3

One of the trademark tunes of the old kid's group "Rosenshontz"... :) If this is the A&B parts you are talking about, the B starts on second octave D and goes dede dBCdB, with C played as a natural.
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

The worship of ball playing hooligans, and the obsession with their games, even when we don't know a single player on the field, is obscene. Football itself, I believe, is a metaphor for war, and is thus grossly obscene. Television advertising for overpriced, gas-guzzling, pollution machines and alcoholic beverages are obscene. That we celebrate all this with a national day of gluttony is obscene. Violence, greed, gluttony: all of these things, in my opinion, are far more obscene than Ms. Jackson's (or any woman's) breasts.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Jack

Post by Jack »

All kids have seen or will eventually see boobs, that's no big deal.

I think the terrible violence on TV is a much more important issue.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

jim_mc wrote:The worship of ball playing hooligans, and the obsession with their games, even when we don't know a single player on the field, is obscene.
Agreed.
Football itself, I believe, is a metaphor for war, and is thus grossly obscene. Television advertising for overpriced, gas-guzzling, pollution machines and alcoholic beverages are obscene. That we celebrate all this with a national day of gluttony is obscene. Violence, greed, gluttony: all of these things, in my opinion, are far more obscene than Ms. Jackson's (or any woman's) breasts.
The umpteen other wrongs doesn't make this publicity-stunt of a peep show something right.
Reasonable person
Walden