Playing Faster

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Karen - Ohio

Post by Karen - Ohio »

Help! I received my Seery keyless delrin about 6 weeks ago. I play the tin whistle a bit and know the basic fingering but I feel so awkward on my flute because of the difference in size of the instruments. I am also a hammered dulcimer player and we play very fast at our jam sessions? Because my hands and wrists are so stiff, I fear I'll never keep up on the flute!! I realize I have had this flute only 6 weeks but can anyone tell me if there are there exercises I can do to relax my hand, fingers, wrists? Thanks.....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Karen - Ohio on 2002-01-25 20:31 ]</font>
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

I don't even think that Mozart wondered why he couldn't play the flute quickly after just 6 weeks!
you're kidding, right?
clark
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

The best exercise I know is... PLAY THE HECK OUT OF THAT STICK!

Clark
LeeMarsh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

As a fellow newbie to the flute, everyone I've ever asked has always told me never worry about speed, it'll come. Concentrate on the tone for the first year as the top priority. Second priority is rhythm and then everything else. Speed seems to take care of itself as you become more familiarity with tone and rhythm.

Of course these folks have heard my squeak, squawk, and blurps so it may be just me :eek:)

So I learn the slow stuff on flute, airs and songs and such. Whistle the fast stuff.

In feable attempt to enjoy my music.
Hope this encourages you to ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
jomac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jomac »

I'll weigh in here, maybe playing devil's advocate to some of Lee's points. Understand that he's correct: Tone should be first priority, rhythm next. Not sure I agree that you need to focus on tone (to the exclusion of all else) for the first year. (I'm still in by first year, understand, been playing for about 6 months.) I start off with a few long tones, on low notes, adjusting till I can get a good loud low D, plus the tone(s) I like on the other notes. (I usually work on getting both a reedy tone, and a sweeter tone, working to switch between the two at will.) Then I play in the second octave until I can "remember" how to get control of that; usually takes me about 10 minutes. Then I start tunes. But I'm working on tone and rhythm when I play the tunes, as well as learning the tunes.

There are 2 ways I use to get a tune speedy. One (admittedly the most important) is to play it slow, with perfect (as much as possible) tone and rhythm, and gradually speed it up, maintaining the perfect tone and rhythm.

The other way is to "go for broke". Play the tune at blinding speed. There's bound to be a few phrases or bits of phrases you can rip on; forget those and identify the ones that give you trouble. Then work on them: Play 2 notes at speed. Then increase it to 3. Then 4. Then 5. And so on until you can whip out the entire phrase, and ultimately, the entire tune.

On every instrument I've become proficient at, I've had to use this "dual" method to develop speed. Just using the first part, (gradually speeding up) doesn't seem to work for me all by itself.

At any rate, using both methods, I've got a few reels I can play fast enough to keep up in the session I attend (and they like to race through everything also), and am increasing that number. But now I'm working harder on playing the tunes slower, with diaphram accents on 2 and 4; I love the way that sounds!

Joe
jomac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jomac »

And another thing: I now find the flute easier to play fast on (compared to the whistle). Drumming hard with the fingers seems to help me keep rhythm, and with speed. But that's very difficult with whistle, because the durn thing is so tiny and light weight; it bounces all over the place. So now I'm working on whistle more, working to match my flute speed.

Joe