sore thumbs

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Tom

Post by Tom »

I am a very new flute player,has anyone expierienced getting sore thumbs from playing.I am trying very hard to relax them while I play.Any suggestions?
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Without actually seeing you hold the flute, I can't give specific advice. However, here are some pointers that may help.
--Never grip the flute tightly. Everything should stay pretty relaxed.
--Keep the thumb straight to the wrist and the wrist straight to the arm on both arms. This keeps the arms away from the body which helps breathing too.
--Don't use the thumbs to hold the flute up to your lips. Instead, think of it this way: the right thumb pushes gently out, not up. The flute rests against the knuckle of hte left first finger, which is a fulcrum. The chin pushes gently out, which is your third point of contact.
There are pictures of this on my website at
http://www.flutesite.com/flute_position_&_posture.htm
I hope it helps! Best wishes in all things,
--James
jomac

Post by jomac »

I had the same trouble. If you keep at it, working on relaxing, it goes away in a month or 2.

joe
Kiri Miller

Post by Kiri Miller »

Yikes! My left hand and thumb actually do cramp up while I am playing. I am a new flute player (recorder and whistle are my main instruments). As I understand the pictures that James posted on his website, you aren't actually supposed to rest the weight of the flute on the left thumb (Which is of course exactly what I am doing). I've spent quite some time analyzing the photos, and I still find myself balancing the flute on that darn thumb.

My question is, do you actually sort of tip the flute forward on the left index finger, or do you 'crook' the index finger more to cradle the flute?

Thanks for helping,

Kiri
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

When I hold the flute I am not holding it up from the bottom with any finger or thumb. 3 points of contact: chin pushes out, side of left hand first finger pushes in (*not* up!), and right hand thumb pushes out (again, not up but straight out).
I know it doesn't seem like it should work, but what it does is create a lever and fulcrum, and with these three points of contact, the flute is stable with only light pressures involved.
Don't think so much of holding it *up*: if you've got three good points of contact, you've already taken away every direction in which it can fall, so it's safe.
--James
http://www.flutesite.com