Sound samples sought

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ailin
antispam: No

Post by Ailin »

I am looking at taking the plunge into a Gallagher, Childress, or Lambe half set with an order in January. In the meantime, the last part of my decision on which set to go with depends on what I like in the sound of the chanters and drones for each. So, the question is does anyone have a sound sample of their Gallagher, Childress, or Lambe 1/2 set (please, no regulators) that they can upload to me? Right now the Gallagher pipes have a slight lead, with Childress very close behind.
Thanks,
Ailin
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Ailin,
In general, what kind of sound are you looking for ?? Accurately recording Uilleann pipe sounds can be deceiving so you might not get the desired results from an amateur recording... especially if the recordings were made by different microphones, acoustics and studio equiptment. You should also discount 'telephone auditions' as the audio from the phone isn't going to accurately reproduce the sounds either.
Unfortunately the best way is the hardest way. In that, going to a session or better yet a Tionol where you can get two pipers side-by-side playing for good comparison.
Then discount 20% because of the reed and pipers personal setup of the instrument.

I have a Childress half set that plays great and my friend Kynch O'Kaine has a Gallagher full set that plays great. It would be possible to make a recording of the two sets in the same room using the same recording equipment. I'll have to ask his permission and to see if he has a recorder available. I won't be able to do this until next month.
Let me know if this is what you're looking for.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

I've heard all three sets, and even had a chance to play Bruce C's personal full set in his home, and see his workshop. I have to admit that to my ear, the Gallagher set is the best sound for the money.

That being said, the friend of mine who has a Gallagher half set said when he attended the North Hero's gathering this last year, he played no fewer than four Gallagher sets, and they were all nice, yet all different.

Being hand made, one must allow for this sort of difference I expect.

Hope this helps...

B~
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Brian, I know you've mentioned the Childress (blackwood) sets play much louder than the Gallagher (ebony) sets. Both pipemakers are top notch and offer really high quality pipes with about the same wait time (roughly 18 to 24 months depending on the configuration) Another important thing to consider is Bruce is several thousand dollars less on a full set with all the bells and whistles.
Ailin

Post by Ailin »

Tony,
I have 2 friends that play Childress pipes, so I will be getting together with at least one of them to give a listen. However, I don't know of anyone locally who plays Gallagher pipes, except possibly one that I will approach over the next month. My teacher, who plays part of a Lambe set, suggested him as an alternative view to my learning the pipes. So I may actually have a way to hear all 3 sets in person which is most definitely the preferred method. However, just in case I don't get that opportunity, I thought that some sound samples may be the next best thing in the meantime. I have received one excellent sample of Lynch pipes which I hadn't considered before (thanks Michael).
What I am looking for is a set that will play well in seisiun as well as having moderate volume for solo playing. I tend to lean toward wanting a mellow sound as well.
I have been playing my first set, a Daye practice, for about 8 months now. The last point of my decision is to actually hear what pipes most closely match what I have in my ear (which I can't readily exlpain), but the Gallagher pipes so far seem to be the closest.
As for going to lengths to record pipes, thanks for the consideration, but that isn't necessary if it is too much of a chore.
Ailin
Dave Parkhurst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

I own a Gallagher 1/2 set in C, and they are sweeeet. I've also played a D concert set by Gallagher and found it to be the closest thing to a DMQ set for the money. Seth's a pretty cool dude, also.....