Uilleann Pipes for Sale

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
LarryM

Uilleann Pipes for Sale

Post by LarryM »

Two sets of Uilleann Pipes for sale plus Uilleann Pipe Case.

Both sets made by Davy Stephenson

Concert D Practice set complete with chanter.

Concert D Half Set in Hand Rolled Nickel Silver and Ebony comprising Bag, Bellows and Drones.

For photographs and further details please email laurencelman@aol.com or PM
Last edited by LarryM on Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

For those persons who have already emailed me regarding the sale of these sets of Uilleann Pipes, I shall be taking photographs of the items this evening for eBay Auction, and shall forward the photos within the next 24 hours.

Thanks,

Larry
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Larry, are you switching makers or leaving pipes?
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Hi Tony,

Really it's a matter of not having much time to devote to them now I have changed my job! The pipes now seem to lie around in my home and hardly get played at all.

I am working twelve hour shifts and by the time I get home I just want to get to bed, meantime the Mrs wants to go out at weekends....that leaves me about two hours a week for practice!!! It's hardly worth my while. :roll:

I may as well sell them so that someone will get enjoyment from them.
gregorygraham
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Selling your pipes

Post by gregorygraham »

Larry,

With all due respect, have you considered keeping the pipes and changing your life? :) Is a life without piping worth living?
Gregory Graham
Toronto
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

Half set less chanter:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=16226

Starting bid 900GBP ($1,508.09US)
anima

Post by anima »

I have an identical set of drones (they were made by Davy as a pair at the same time) and they work and sound just fine. I did tie them into a new MacHarg bag recently though.

Jeff
Tony

Post by Tony »

Jeff, is the MacHarg bag bigger ??
anima

Post by anima »

When laid flat they are they same size, but the MacHarg bag inflates bigger as the leather is alot thinner and pliable. the most important thing though is that it doesn't leak.

Jeff
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

anima wrote:When laid flat they are they same size, but the MacHarg bag inflates bigger as the leather is alot thinner and pliable. the most important thing though is that it doesn't leak.

Jeff
"The MacHarg bag doesn't leak." Is that a round about way of saying that the Stephenson bag does?
I am still waiting for my Stephenson practice set,eight months after placing my order.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Hi Kevin,

No doubt Jeff will answer your question. I don't know if Jeff had a bad experience regarding his bag from Davy.

I have now two bags from Davy and have had no problem with leaks at all, I have been playing the practice set quite often since I got it and never had a problem with the bag leaking.

The set with the drones I have not played as much.

I wish you the best of luck with your practice set, I have little doubt you will be pleased with it.

Larry
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Cheers, Larry.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
anima

Post by anima »

The stephenson bag is made from a rather thick and porous leather, It doesn't leak if it is well seasoned. I had to season mine again about 9 months after I got it as it had dried out (hot Kansas summers i guess). I used a particularly evil mix of neatsfoot oil, rosin, and beeswax. It was once again leak free but the oil tends to osmose through the leather, so the bag is a little greasy. The bag itself was fine, I really just wanted to go to a maintenance free bag.

Jeff
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Kevin,

I have a comment which might save you some money and a divorce when you start playing Davy's pipes. I wonder Jeff did you find this?

When I first started playing, I did so in our living room. After a couple of nights my wife said to me...."have you seen the carpet beside the chair where you play your pipes?

Sure enough there were greasy black spots on the carpet where I had been playing. It looked like the piece of carpet in Father Ted where Father Jack sits LOL!

However I put this down to maybe some other source. However over a period of time the carpet became a complete mess with black greasy stains. Eventually we had to get a new carpet put down, and I was exiled to the bedroom with my pipes along with newspapers on the floor.

The seasoning does seem to blow out the chanter and will spray everything in it's path with an indelible black sh*t stuff, rather like tar, beleive me it's nigh impossible to get out again!!!

So be warned, stick newspapers on the floor for the first few times you play, or you might become not the most popular person with the lady of the house.

You Have Been Warned!

Regards,

Larry
anima

Post by anima »

No Larry, I never experienced that however I originally didn't play with a bag cover and when I set the bag down it would leave a spot on the furniture (and I even ruined an expensive satin covered desk blotter - which did bug the wife), It could also leave a mark on your shirt. Your best bet would be to get a bag cover or ask Davy to tie it into a new L&M elk hide bag (which I think he may be doing now anyway) as they are like the MacHarg bags, airtight and don't require sealant I think. Can anyone with an L&M bag back that statement up?

Jeff