Dream Case - *Now with pin-up PHOTOS!*

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Dream Case - *Now with pin-up PHOTOS!*

Post by Brian Lee »

WOW! After a paltry year and a half of frantic searching, I've found it! My dream case! I happened to be in a Lowes (home improvement store) yesterday and happened across this customizeable (sp?) tool box. It's the perfect size for a practice set with loads of extra room for extras. I've fit in a $2 small compartment box for things like wax, reeds, hemp etc. etc. I'm also thinking of making a couple little spots for my O'Riordans to travel in it as well. In the main case, the bag, bellows and chanter all fit well, with the perfect amount of space. To the left is another small compartment with spots for teflon (PTFE) and electrical tape, and some extra pens to take down addresses of pipers I may meet in my travels. :)

*****JOY!!*****

Here's a link to the box on Lowe's site:

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=product ... 3-VGC-5200

At under $25 bucks, the price was right too!

Anyone looking for a decent travel case, this may be something to look for. Gobs of space (remember you can customize it for all sorts of stuff), loads of solid padding, it does come with locks (not much, but enough to hopefully keep preying little hands off your stuff if you should ever need to leave it unattended, and a shoulder strap.

Anyway, thought I'd share. I'll post pictures later on, if I can find a decent camera and figure out how to stick them in a message here. ;)

Bri~

P.S. Would someone be kind enough to host the photos so I can show them here?? Or is there a free (and EASY) place to use on the web?
Last edited by Brian Lee on Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JamieKerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JamieKerr »

Hi Brian,

I too chanced upon the perfect toolbox which now serves as a case for my Neil O'Grady half set. I padded the inside. The bottom section holds the mainstock, with the bottom halves of the drones, the bag, and the bellows, plus a small guitar-case humidifier. I also padded the top accessory tray which holds the chanter, the drone tops, my tuner, extra reeds, hemp, and some blue tack. The inside of the lid is also padded which holds the chanter and drone tops securely in place. All this for about $30 Canadian, which is about $2.50 US.

Jamie
Rockymtnpiper

Post by Rockymtnpiper »

Brian, I will be happy to post a photo of it on the page that already has pictures of your bag cover.. I will ship tommarow btw. I was kind of waiting for measurements for an air hose cover..
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Alright! After a bit of Windows hoop-jumping, I've got photos. Not the greatest quality, but enough to give an idea of how it all goes together. :) I'll include the link after each image incase anyone has trouble seeing the images. (The 'Stonecircle' logo didn't come with the case, I added it for when I travel with the band...though wouldn't it be cool if all toolboxes came with celtic type names already?! ;) )

*Front and Shoulder strap:
http://www.rit.edu/~eeg6662/up/Case1.jpg

*Top down locks and handle:
http://www.rit.edu/~eeg6662/up/Case2.jpg

*Pipes on the bottom, reeds and fixins on top:
http://www.rit.edu/~eeg6662/up/Case3.jpg

*Close-up bottom:
http://www.rit.edu/~eeg6662/up/Case4.jpg

*Close-up top:
http://www.rit.edu/~eeg6662/up/Case5.jpg

*Size comparison with a Hoover CPVC high D whistle:
http://www.rit.edu/~eeg6662/up/Case6.jpg

The corrigations along the bottom sides allow for custom placement of several dividers allowing extra compartments to be made or removed as needed. The foam in the top lid can be removed in small squares allowing different objects to be placed in it again as needed. I was supprised to find the side clips for the shoulder strap when I got it home and pulled it out of the box. Nice supprise though.

Now if I can just find this same case about a foot and a half longer when I get a half set!

B~

P.S. Rodger, thanks once again for the case. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the mail. The tube cover I had with the original bag cover is roughly 9 3/4" long X 4" circumference. Might be too late, but hope this helps!
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Nice case Brian. I'm looking for something similar only 36" long inside dimension.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Hey Tony,

Yeah, I'd like to find something like that too down the road. When I do, youll be the first to know! :D

B~

P.S. Maybe you could weld two of these together?! LOL It could be a streeeeetch case.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

Last year I found a seller on eBay offering that size on the website... when I called to order. they told me they had problems getting product from the importer and recently discontinued it.
Tony

Post by Tony »

This isn't a bad idea... inexpensive instrument case, tear out the partitions and it's ready to go!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2561922541
glands

Post by glands »

30 Canadian 2.50 US???? Man, now that's inflation!!!
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Tony wrote:This isn't a bad idea... inexpensive instrument case, tear out the partitions and it's ready to go!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2561922541
*whistling* whew! but $12.50 shipping, as it stands that's more than half the cost of the case itself! I wonder if you could have the seller rip it's guts out for you - then you'd only be paying for shipping the parts you really wanted to keep in the first place! LOL :lol:
Rockymtnpiper

Post by Rockymtnpiper »

The tube cover I had with the original bag cover is roughly 9 3/4" long X 4" circumference. Might be too late, but hope this helps!
Not too late at all. I will run one out quick like.. and also a Gortex tube, (I have some extra that I need to do something with) you will need to seal the seam yourself, and maybe put a spring inside or soemsuch.

For longer cases that are similiar, you might look into Gun cases. I have a gun briefcase that looks kind of like that one.. it just doesnt have the partition thingies. They make a medium and huge size also.
J-dub

Post by J-dub »

Nice find Brian. I have lots of that leopard fur (fake that is) that I used to line my cases for my O'Grady half set and Bodhran if you are interested :wink: .
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

I've looked at gun cases from the beginning, but at close to $100 each in most cases (sometimes much more) they were just too expensive for what I needed. This one at $24 was exactly what I needed...only wish I would have found it a year ago.

Thanks Rodger for the extra tube cover etc. I'll let you know how it all works out when I get it here on my end.

As for the lepoard print stuff....ummm.....I think I like egg crate foam prints the best! ;)

B~
Rockymtnpiper

Post by Rockymtnpiper »

As for the lepoard print stuff....ummm.....
Come on Brian.. J-Dub aint the only one who needs to unload some Leopard. I even bet theres a few more of us on here that you could help out. I have 18 yards of leopard upholstery velvet. You either need a Drummers apron complete with Rug shell head jawset and eyes.. :roll: or a bag cover where the chanter sticks out of kitties mouth also complete with teeth and eyes :wink: , AND a school boy outfit ala' Angus Young. :o :D