Music book "Ceol an Chláir" by Paddy O'Donoghue -

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Music book "Ceol an Chláir" by Paddy O'Donoghue -

Post by avanutria »

I picked up a book of sheet music in Custy's music in Ennis a month ago, it's called Ceol an Chláir and it's a selection of 35 original compositions by Paddy O'Donoghue along with some background info on each of the tunes.

There's no copyright date on the book, and I was wondering if anyone know how long ago it was published. I'm guessing not overly long ago, and I suppose it's not really important, but I'm curious. It's a good book.

Thanks.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

It was published about two years ago, maybe going on three by now.

One of the tunes, Counting the coppers was recorded by Maeve Donnelly on her latest CD.

Originally from Bodyke/O Callaghan's Mills in East Clare, Paddy Donoghue these days mostly plays the metal Boehmsystem flute. He also plays the fiddle and in his young days was a distinguished piper. He had the extended loan of Sean Reid's pipes during the 40s, the pipes went to WIllie Clancy during the 60s and the set is now in the hands of Liam O Flynn. He played in the original ceiliband which later became the Tulla, the Ballinahinch Ceiliband which started in Martin Rochford's house in Ballinahinch, Bodyke in 1942. Paddy's brother Jim was in it as well as Paddy Canny, Martin Rochford and others. Martin Rochford used to tell how they changed the name to the Tulla after someone suggested the shorter name would fit better on the Bass drum.
There's a lovely and wellknown photograph taken after the Tulla won the Munster Oireachtas in 1947. Paddy Donoghue is seated at the front with the pipes, behind him is Sean Reid, who was the leader of the band, holding the trophy. Fiddleplayers are PJ Hayes, Francie Donnellan and Paddy Canny and fluteplyers Jim Donoghue, Jack Murphy and Willie Clancy.
Paddy lives in Newmarket on Fergus now. As it happens Kitty Hayes and myself played a little festival in Moyasta on saturday and Paddy was playing there with Vincent Griffin. He came up after we played and we had a nice chat. He's a nice man and is a fine player. For the bouzoukiplayers among you, he's also Cyril O Donoghue's father.
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

Peter Laban wrote:There's a lovely and wellknown photograph taken after the Tulla won the Munster Oireachtas in 1947. Paddy Donoghue is seated at the front with the pipes, behind him is Sean Reid, who was the leader of the band, holding the trophy. Fiddleplayers are PJ Hayes, Francie Donnellan and Paddy Canny and fluteplyers Jim Donoghue, Jack Murphy and Willie Clancy.
Can you imagine listening to this group live? The mind boggles.
Susan
Parcour25

Post by Parcour25 »

Peter, regarding the mention of the bass drum..... I'm assuming the photos' include the drummer. so,....... is he featuring a drum set or in those days, a set of "traps" as they were called, or by chance, is there an irish frame drum of some sort. An early bodhran type... Could you post or send me a PM. Thx!

There are not many known photos of bodhran from the 40's, 50's..... almost none that I'm aware of... You?
Tryst me. I am, yours truly......

Parcour v. D'Chasse, Esq.

Save the trees,..... not the Bush....
callybeg

Post by callybeg »

Actually if it is a frame drum of some sort let me know too: thank you thank you thank you!

Callybeg
if it harms none do as you will
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

susnfx wrote:
Peter Laban wrote:Fiddleplayers are PJ Hayes, Francie Donnellan and Paddy Canny and fluteplyers Jim Donoghue, Jack Murphy and Willie Clancy.
Can you imagine listening to this group live? The mind boggles.
Susan
Yeah with Jack Murphy in it too! :lol:

Yeah it definitely seems like a very cool group. Is this photo in the CD liner notes of the reissue of Paddy Canny/PJ Hayes "All Ireland Champions"?
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

There is no drumkit included in the picture [and I don't know about the Canny etc re-issue, don't have that, tranferred the lp to CD before it was re-issued and never bought it] but they had your ordinary drumki like the bands had. Martin Rochford told me that for the Ballinahinch they got a bass rum off the local pipeband.

There are a few old pics of kids on the wren with bodhrans, photographs of Sean O Riada fro mthe 50, there's also an interesting RTE documentary from the 60s about a bodhranmaker from around Listowel who made old style bodhrans, wire inside to hold and bells liek a tambourine and all that.
Parcour25

Post by Parcour25 »

there's also an interesting RTE documentary from the 60s about a bodhranmaker from around Listowel who made old style bodhrans, wire inside to hold and bells liek a tambourine and all that.

Alright Peter, tell me what RTE is, and link us a site that supports video copies of the programme.

Callibeg dear - what is the difference between a frame drum and a bodhran?
Tryst me. I am, yours truly......

Parcour v. D'Chasse, Esq.

Save the trees,..... not the Bush....
skh

Post by skh »

Frame drum is the generic, or family of instrument, to be found in many cultures on this planet. Bodhran is one special and irish kind of frame drum. RTE is, I assume, Radio Television Eire or something similar, and the website is http://www.rte.ie.

cheers,

Sonja
Shut up and play.